Decision Made

matthewpiano

Just a quick message to thank everyone for their ideas during my search for a new system. I will give more detail about the last part of my search later, but I thought you'd like to know that I've now ordered a Denon DCD1500AE CD/SACD player and PMA1500AE Amplifier to use with my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. I was absolutely blown away by the performance of these two components, far beyond anything else I've heard during my search. I can't understand why they are hardly ever mentioned. Build quality and sound are fantastic and I can't wait to get them set up in my lounge. The initial thought of looking at the Denons came from some suggestions by Drummerman both in my 'Budget System' thread and in some other people's threads in the past, so thank you Drummerman for putting me on the Denon trail.

A

Anonymous

Congratulations on your new system! I'm sure those Denon offer an incredible value.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Just a quick message to thank everyone for their ideas during my search for a new system. I will give more detail about the last part of my search later, but I thought you'd like to new that I've now ordered a Denon DCD1500AE CD/SACD player and PMA1500AE Amplifier to use with my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s. I was absolutely blown away by the performance of these two components, far beyond anything else I've heard during my search. I can't understand why they are hardly ever mentioned. Build quality and sound are fantastic and I can't wait to get them set up in my lounge. The initial thought of looking at the Denons came from some suggestions by Drummerman both in my 'Budget System' thread and in some other people's threads in the past, so thank you Drummerman for putting me on the Denon trail.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I chewed over both for a while. I had the DCD-700AE and it was very good. Someone said on here recently that the CA 640C thrashed it - not for me, no way. The 1500s have won plenty of awards around the world. Enjoy!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Congratulations! I'm thrilled that you were able to complete your setup. It just makes me curious as to how good it must've been to the point of beating the Brio! Tell us more about the last part of your search.

Now I'm going to start my own thread about my decision.

matthewpiano

Well since you ask, lets start with the Rega stuff.

First impressions weren't great I have to admit. Both the Apollo and Brio are pretty cheap looking in terms of their finish, and the volume and source knobs on the Brio feel cheap too. The actual underlying build quality is much better than it looks. I know aesthetics and tactile qualities come second to sound, but they do help to add to the overall level of satisfaction.

Sound wise the Rega pairing was very impressive in many ways. On simple, acoustic material the sound was very natural and airy and there was a good sense of the equipment itself being invisible. If all my listening consisted of stuff like Joni Mitchell and small scale jazz pieces I wouldn't have hesitated to put my money down. However, with more complex, larger scale material I had serious doubts. I found the sound a bit overly bright at times, which especially concerned me because my Wharfedales aren't exactly known for their brightness. The amp seemed to lose its grip when asked to play a full rock band or symphony orchestra in full flight and I could imagine it becoming tiring to listen to over a lengthy listening session. The Regas were also incredibly revealing of recording quality to the point where some things were harder to listen to than I want them to be. With the Rega R3 speakers in place of the Wharfedales, the many positive attributes of the Apollo/Brio combination came to the fore and the synergy was clearly stronger, but I still felt that the steeliness in more complex passages was too overbearing and it didn't convince me enough to part with my cash.

Listening to the Arcam A18 and CD17 again made me question why I liked them so much on first hearing. After the Rega kit, the Arcam sounded small scale and colourless and, although I could imagine it being a more amiable companion over a long session I could also imagine it making the music like wallpaper in the background. Don't get me wrong, in terms of soundstaging and timbre the Arcams are excellent, but they just aren't as interesting to listen to as I remember them and certainly not what I have been looking for.

The Denons combine some of the warmth of the Arcam with the excitement and sheer musicality of the Rega whilst avoiding the major pitfalls of either. The finish and tactile feel of the units is far better than the Regas and certainly as good as the Arcam FMJs. The feature set is also more user friendly than the Rega, including a decent headphone output on both amp and CD player.

If this were a group test I would award the Denon DCD1500/PMA1500 first place, followed by the Rega Apollo/Brio, then my previous Cambridge Audio 740A/C combo, and then the Arcam A18/CD17 in fourth.

At the price point below I wasn't very impressed with the Marantz PM6002/CD6002 combination (see my comments elsewhere for further detail) and would place it well below the NAD C325BEE/C525BEE combination which offers a much better balanced and more exciting and musical sound for similar money.

With regard to the various speakers I've heard during my search, I have continued to be impressed by the Diamond 9.1s on the end of each system I've tried, and I was also very impressed by the Rega R5s and Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom. I was, as I've already said, bitterly disappointed with the B&W 685s and cannot understand what all the fuss is about. Nothing I've heard has made me restless about my speakers and I feel that with my Diamond 9.1s, Diamond 8.3s and Tannoy Sensys 1s I have a collection of speakers which provides me with 3 very different but very high quality options to play around with according to my mood.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Great write-up!

You are right on about the Rega's. That steeliness you heard was from the Brio running out of its steam. It gets congested and bright. I didn't know you listened to a lot of orchestral music. You can probably understand why I would put the Naim Nait5i in place of Rega amplification in my system. Same number of watts, but different dynamics.

It's interesting how you placed the Cambridge Audio higher than the Arcam now. I guess its clarity and detail still remain impressive.ÿ

matthewpiano

batonwielder:
Great write-up!

You are right on about the Rega's. That steeliness you heard was from the Brio running out of its steam. It gets congested and bright. I didn't know you listened to a lot of orchestral music. You can probably understand why I would put the Naim Nait5i in place of Rega amplification in my system. Same number of watts, but different dynamics.

It's interesting how you placed the Cambridge Audio higher than the Arcam now. I guess its clarity and detail still remain impressive.ÿ

I can completely understand why you went for the Naim amp. The Brio is great value for money and an excellent amp for certain types of music but I couldn't face feeling short changed every time I played a disc with large orchestral forces - especially as I'm a big fan of Bruckner, Mahler and Shostakovich!!

With regards to the Cambridge, its clarity and detail are very impressive and its more interesting to listen to than the Arcam kit when it comes to it. I think I would have been very disappointed if I'd gone for the Arcams and would have ended up changing again too quickly. I am glad that I sold the Cambridge stuff though because I feel like I'm getting a much more rounded and musical system with the Denons.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts