David at Frank Harvey

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
HI David.

Just wondering if you could give me your opinion on the pairing of a Rega Elex R with Kef r300's. I am concerned as to how bright this may sound with the Elex being quite lively. I am also interested in your views with regards how well the amp will control such large stand mounts. My listening area is a small 3m x 3m spare room. I am assuming you have heard this combination but may be wrong.

I have these coming for demo next week with my Elex.

Thanks in advance.

Yani

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Neither of the products you're looking at are bright by nature, and if anything, the R300s are more on the laid back side, in my opinion. You're more likely to get issues of brightness if the speakers are placed near to side walls, or if you have a reflective room. "Brightness" is a subjective thing though, so what one person labels bright, someone else might call smooth.

What will you be using as a source/sources? Do you have a well furnished room, or is it bare/reflective?

D

Deleted member 2457

David, any chance of a deal on the Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headphones? *smile*

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi David and thank you for replying to my direct question. It's much appreciated.

My source is CD only and is a Rega Saturn (not 'R'). The room is a small spare room 3m x 3m fairlly well furnished with a rather large leather chair and footstool. A small glass corner desk with pictures on the walls + standing CD rack (no acoustic items or bass traps).

I have rathaer large stand mount speakers at present (Celestion A1) which just happen to measure nearly exactly the same dimensions as the R300's. On hooking up my new amp I discovered over a period of time a touch of brightness which was not present with my Audiolabs which I had replaced. I figured that it was probably the amp showing the weakness in the Celestions HF rather than an amp problem though I was not certain.

I have recently tried Focal 906 and found them very smooth in the highs without brightness. Only problem was I missed the scale the Celestions gave me. They also are powerful in the bass depratment.

Hope this helps explain my question with regards the R300's. The R300's will sit about 300mm from back wall and 350mm from side walls as per Celestions at present.

Regards

Yani

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes thats always the fear. You think the change will be for the better but sometimes you come down to.earth with a bang. Dissapointment rains. Hopefully it will give me the step up.i hope for.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
yani said:
My source is CD only and is a Rega Saturn (not 'R'). The room is a small spare room 3m x 3m fairlly well furnished with a rather large leather chair and footstool. A small glass corner desk with pictures on the walls + standing CD rack (no acoustic items or bass traps).
The Saturn is one of the smoothest CD players I've heard, so all is looking good for not ending up with a bright system!

I have recently tried Focal 906 and found them very smooth in the highs without brightness. Only problem was I missed the scale the Celestions gave me. They also are powerful in the bass
The Focals I've heard I wouldn't really describe as smooth - not bright either, but I found they had a very "energetic" treble, which some may (and indeed, have) perceive as bright or harsh.

Hope this helps explain my question with regards the R300's. The R300's will sit about 300mm from back wall and 350mm from side walls as per Celestions at present.
I had my R300s about 6-7" from the rear wall, so I doubt you'll have any issues (use the outer part of the supplied bungs). Toeing the speakers in a little will reduce side wall reflection.

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks again David
I will post after I have spent some time with the KEFs in my system. I will give them a good 12 to 14 hours run in before I assess them. Fingers crossed !!

yani

Jan 16, 2015
Visit site
Just got word from my dealer in Glasgow that Kef have stated they are out of stock until mid to end of March for R300's in gloss black. Sad news indeed.

I will just have to patient (not that easy for me !!).

Ahhh
cray2.gif

TRENDING THREADS