Darko Audio - thoughts?

record_spot

I've been listening to John Darko's Darko Audio podcast and watching his YouTube channel of late. Most impressed, he has his feet firmly on the ground but also gets some cracking interviews and appearances with well respected audio community experts too. If you haven't listened, give his channel a go, otherwise, what are you thoughts?

NSO

May 15, 2023
Visit site
I've been listening to John Darko's Darko Audio podcast and watching his YouTube channel of late. Most impressed, he has his feet firmly on the ground but also gets some cracking interviews and appearances with well respected audio community experts too. If you haven't listened, give his channel a go, otherwise, what are you thoughts?

D

Deleted member 201267

I like how Darko enjoys his Techno music !

record_spot

I like how he's pretty real world about the hobby. He talks a lot of sense and I've listened to a lot of his stuff now.

I can overlook the references to the farthest reaches of audiophilia woowoo, he makes it pretty clear, you don't have to be into that stuff if you don't want to be. He's got a good grasp on what the regular buyer might be interested in (not everybody wants hifi exotica, not everybody wants separates, and he's comfortable pointing out that all-in-one systems, including the likes of the old B&W Zeppelin, might be just the ticket) and he brings out practical stuff in his reviews that offers a bit more insight than you tend to get in print elsewhere.

Of all the reviewers, he's been the one I've found the most engaging in recent years and enjoyable too.

doifeellucky

I think he provides good insight at different levels. From setting up a basic separates system with second hand gear, to more advanced topics like room correction and treatment.

A fairly vocal minority think he’s just a salesman, but he never specifically recommends anything or gives a score. He does comparisons and suggests how a particular item or items could work together. As example he once said he was going to use the Monitor Audio Silver 50 for his TV setup due the compact size and their excellent vocal clarity at lower volumes.

I also appreciate his music recommendations and the production of his videos.

As with anyone on YouTube or any other medium I use these opinions to draw up a shortlist and that is all.

robdmarsh

The British audiophile I think has some real knowledge about electronics and is very measured in his comments. Darko is measured too but I do think he overdoes the "if youlike a speaker which gets you on the edge of your seat you'll like X and if you like a speaker that you can sit back and relax with you'll like Y". There are pretty good all rounders out there you, John! I know, I've got some. Not perfect, we all know that's impossible, but we also mostly have pretty varied tastes in music and want gear that is going to work well with a broad range of music. That's not impossible to ask for!

manicm

I subscribe to both Darko and British Audiophile. I don't see any contradiction between the two, as far as some here make a point of painting either as 'subjective' or 'objective'. For me that's not the value I derive from either channel.

I find both credible, and that to me transcends silliness like seeking out objectivity. I cannot stand Audio Science Review, for example, not for me. And he was called out when making a critique of DSD - when he did not have the proper equipment to do so.

Reactions: doifeellucky

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
ABA and Darko have good production values, and are good if you like subjective reviews. I have the impression they are giving honest impressions.

I ignore subjective reviews. I have wasted too much money on equipment that got good subjective reviews but which turned out to have glaring flaws, both ergonomic and audio.

Some researchers did an experiment whereby they took some wine experts and got them to taste a red wine, and a white wine. Except they were the same wine, one had a tasteless, odourless colour added. The wine experts reported very different tastes. Our senses are too easily fooled.

Reactions: WayneKerr

AJM1981

I am quite ok with Darko. An intelligent guy and still think he has great content. But.. at one occassion he clearly got his fingers burned by being tied to the Wilson Audio Tune Tot bookshelf loudspeaker and couldn't even come close to nail down why they were worth €14.490,- and went as far as to disable the comments section over it.

for the record.. I was not one of the commenters.

28516_TuneTot%20(Crimson)%20with%20Red%20TuneTot%20Ring.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts