Damn damn damn

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I just couldn’t help myself I popped into the local hi fi shop and they had a Rega DAC so I thought I’d give it a home trial. It’s now mine, I love my Creek cdp but the separation and musicality of the Rega is so different. Now I’m thinking of swapping the Yamaha streamer for a chrome cast audio for Spotify and inter web radio. Any opinions?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
I wouldn't swap the Yamaha just simply add to it. CCA cost £20-£30 so not a big outlay and you'll have best of both.

I was hoping that the cca would replace Yamaha for Spotify and radio to reduce the number of boxes

insider9

If you don't need the functionality Yamaha give then sure why not. However make sure you try it before selling Yamaha as CCA didn't work for me. With many drop outs and sub par sound (granted didn't use it wifi external DAC). But the big thing for me was lack of USB playback that Yamaha gives.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Won’t be selling the Yamaha probably let my son have it. I don’t use the usb so won’t be a loss. Bit concerned about the dropping out though.

insider9

Depends on quality of your wifi and what quality you're streaming at. I've read there is a LAN connector nowadays which would help with dropouts but it further increases the cost and I'm not sure they're easily available on UK market.

Then there's a specific optical cable to connect to DAC. After you add all the extras CCA isn't as cheap as it seems.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
On your new dac. And glad you are liking it.

Even my CCA arrived today. Iam streaming via its mini toslink out to the optical in of my amp's dac. Previously I was streaming from my local streaming sites via Bluetooth to the wxc-50. Now the same tracks via CCA digital out, sound so much better. I had tried the line out from the CCA into the aux-in on my amp. But it is no match going digital out to external dac. However, IAM still keeping the wxc-50. As I intend to have my entire system controlled via the app. And I will be receiving new coaxial cables in a day or two. And then my setup will be as undermentioned :

CCA going digitally into the optical in on the wxc-50.

Wxc-50 going coaxial out to the chord dac.

Chord going into line 1 inputs on the amp.

Now I can toggle between the Bluetooth and CCA via the app itself. As it is tidal, Nas and Spotify are already app controlled.

However for this to work, iam only hoping that the optical in from CCA can be passed out through the coaxial out of the wxc-50 into the chord. Will know in a day or two, and will post back.

Iam still so glad with the wxc 50. Exceptional usability for a decent amount :)

insider9

newlash09 said:
On your new dac. And glad you are liking it.

Even my CCA arrived today. Iam streaming via its mini toslink out to the optical in of my amp's dac. Previously I was streaming from my local streaming sites via Bluetooth to the wxc-50. Now the same tracks via CCA digital out, sound so much better. I had tried the line out from the CCA into the aux-in on my amp. But it is no match going digital out to external dac. However, IAM still keeping the wxc-50. As I intend to have my entire system controlled via the app. And I will be receiving new coaxial cables in a day or two. And then my setup will be as undermentioned :

CCA going digitally into the optical in on the wxc-50.

Wxc-50 going coaxial out to the chord dac.

Chord going into line 1 inputs on the amp.

Now I can toggle between the Bluetooth and CCA via the app itself. As it is tidal, Nas and Spotify are already app controlled.

However for this to work, iam only hoping that the optical in from CCA can be passed out through the coaxial out of the wxc-50 into the chord. Will know in a day or two, and will post back.

Iam still so glad with the wxc 50. Exceptional usability for a decent amount :)
Newlash09, your Yamaha can do as much as CCA and more. Why are you using CCA other than having no coax cable? By the way normal rca interconnect would work as a coax cable.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to both of you I’ll bear in mind the cost of the bits etc. I’ve bought a tosslonk adaptor off eBay for a ridiculously cheap price so il give it a go as there is a cca in the house somewhere.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Didn't know that RCA cable could double up as coaxial cable too. Read somewhere that the impedence had to be 75 ohms. Was not sure if all cables are upto it. Will give it a spin and see.

Does the wxc-50 also have Google cast. Wasn't aware of this. All the Indian streaming sites support Google cast. So the CCA seemed the better way to go than Bluetooth :)

insider9

Not Google cast I'm afraid but you can use DLNA. Before native support of Tidal I used BubbleUPnp which can also play files from other cloud services. If Google cast is convenient than no problem with using it.

All I'm saying you probably don't realise how much Yamaha does :) it took me a whole to fully appreciate how much they manage to cram into this little box.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I’ve tried a cca and they are not great at all in my system at least against my streamer. Flat, lacking dynamics etc.

If a cca is better or as good as the Yamaha wxc50 streamer described on sq, such Yamaha which I think you have grim harry, then that says to me in a comparative sense that this Yamaha device isn’t particularly fantastic, say against a streamer of the ilk of a blueaound node2, ca cxn etc. If you want a very good streamer in your very decent system of amps and speakers then I’d look at something like the node2 or ca etc as the Dacs In that maybe better or as good as your Rega dac, and another way of getting best of all worlds.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was comparing the difference in sound quality between Bluetooth performance of the wxc-50 and digital out from CCA into the DAC. So CCA would certainly win hands down.

And to further clarify, the wxc-50 is acting as a Bluetooth receiver, going into the chord 2qute dac. So it's almost Bluetooth via chord 2qute vs CCA into the dac in parasound amp.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The wxc-50 seems to have enough hidden treasures to keep me occupied for a long time :)

My next area of investigation will be trying to get my local FM stations to play via internet. Thats my next challenge now :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The Yamaha WXC - 50 is a very good bit of kit for the money there is so much you can do with it . I recommend connecting WXC-50 with a internet cable then the WiFi option because WiFi is not as good as fixed on the WXC-50 for some reason Evan though my internet is fast ( virgin media ) I used to get the odd drop outs but not using the fixed option .

Newlash have you tried using a co-axis lead from your CD player to the WXC-50 or your amplifier ? I am using my onboard Dac of my CD player which for me is better then the WXC-50 Dac or you can do what you’re done and buy a better Dac because the Yamaha WXC-50 still a perfect streamer .

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Iam using the wxc-50 as a digital streamer with the preamp functionality disabled.

Iam using the dac in the parasound amp or the chord 2qute depending on convenience.

The wxc-50 is hard wired to ethernet. Though I had tried over WiFi in the past, and still didn't have any dropouts though.

Today I disabled the WiFi and Bluetooth options, and couldn't control the wxc-50 with the app, though it was hard wired to the same router over the same WiFi network. Did anyone else experience this. Thought that with WiFi disabled at the back, I should still be able to control via the app. But the app kept saying ' previous music cast component not found '
Any info please....:)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never had probs with d/outs.

Even with a decent optical cable a CCA is astounding vfm plus you just hang it off the back. One box less.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

bigboss said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
I’ve tried a cca and they are not great at all in my system at least against my streamer. Flat, lacking dynamics etc.
For HiFi, you need to go into the Chromecast app, select your CC Audio, and enable "high dynamic range." It looks like you didn't do this.

yes did do that. Just the system it’s being used with. Matching the issue.

If you use the optical on cca it defaults to hdr.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I was using the optical out. But on checking today morning after bigboss's suggestion, found HDR still disabled. Had turned it on manually in the app. Don't know if this is normal, but mine didn't revert automatically to HDR.

newlash09 said:
I was using the optical out. But on checking today morning after bigboss's suggestion, found HDR still disabled. Had turned it on manually in the app. Don't know if this is normal, but mine didn't revert automatically to HDR.
I just read the Google Home app instructions and it says the switch only applies when using the analog out - which is how I run it. When using optical it’s automatically on the high dynamic range setting, as Quest said.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts