Dali Zensor 3

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The speakers are still singing sweetly, I'm yet to find any negatives. I find myself digging old CDs out that I previously thought I was bored of or felt I had over played and discovering hidden layers I had never noticed. Wonderful speakers!

Interesting what you have said in your other thread about the Marantz Vs the Rotel. I'm glad this amp can still hold its own against new comers, its the sign of good kit if it can stand the test of time.

So in reference to bi-amping your Zensors, as the speakers only have one set of terminals. Were you using the RA-02 as a pre-amp and the RB-03 as a power amp? And if you were to use 2x RB-03s you would use them both in mono driving a channel each. Am i correct in thinking that?

What improvements do you notice between using just the RA-02 on its own and using it together with an RB-03?

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, I was using them as a pre/power combo- I can't biamp the Zensors, obviously...

There isn't much to choose between the 02 and 03 really, perhaps just a little more heft in the bass with the 03, but the 02 has slightly crisper treble- but as I say there isn't much in it. I already had the 03 so I figured I may as well carry on using it!

If you happen to find an 03 and fancy the upgrade then great, but rest assured you're not missing out- the 02 does a lovely job with the Zensors. The Marantz has come on song a bit (courtesy of some different speaker cable), and has been given a stay of execution for now, but the 02 can certainly hold its own against newer amps, that's for sure...

I think you'd be looking at about the £500 mark to get a significant step-up from the Rotel...

I used to have two rb03s, sold one a couple of years ago- really wish I hadn't as I'd love to monobloc the Zensors! Been keeping an eye out for another but they're a pretty rare sight on the bay these days.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think half the problem is that by modern standards, a 'large', traditionally shaped standmount is just not fashionable anymore. Shame really.

regards

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
I think half the problem is that by modern standards, a 'large', traditionally shaped standmount is just not fashionable anymore. Shame really.

regards

Indeed. Even B&W turned their back on the popular 602 when they brought out the 601's replacement, the 685

And whatever happened to the Focal 707? A similarly sized standmount IIRC.

icecoldart

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok so i had mine for 3 days now, bought them online blindly without an audition ( not wise,I know ^^' )

These are a pair of beasties, the amount of bass they can produce is quite frankly amazing, clear, spacious, and beautiful ( mine are piano black )

Overall i like those speakers BUT i do not truly enjoy them, not just yet. Why you might ask, well i'm still without a full proper kit, they work with an old yamaha rx 463 and some cheap cables 1£/m. What i'd like to add to the equation would be warmth, and I plan to do it by buying a nad D 3020, it should smooth the highs just enough so that it will fit my personal taste.

Don't get me wrong i think these are a pair of fanstastic speakers, i just happen to enjoy warmer sound.

4.5/5 stars from me ( for now ! :) )

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You need to give them more time, you are probably listening to them too closely, get over that and listen to the music, as for warmth, what music are you playing?

icecoldart

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
More time, that can be done hehe

Well i'm not listening to them too closely for sure, i'm usualy like 2 meters away from them,

As for music well it's quite a lot but the likes of :

Clapton, Deep Purple, Dire Straits, The Doors,The Who, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kasabian etc.

Some more "polite" Mettalica tracks

Bonobo, Emancipator, Moby

Some reagge aswell.

Film music ( orchestra etc. )

I've got Klipsch G17 speaker and Philips Fidelio X1 headhphones and i'd imagine the Dali paired with nad should be somewhat of what Fidelio's deliver clear quite neutral sound but slighly on the darker side. The G17 is definitely a warmer and Darker speaker, i enjoy that aswell, but it's too small for my larger room, that's why i bought Zensors.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did not mean literally, I meant you maybe listening to the speakers rather than the music this is common on new equipment. Not sure they will be like your headphones, you maybe expecting too much but they should an improvement ofn your current amp.

icecoldart

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, gave them more time for proper burn in, and i must admit the sound is way more pleasing now

Listening to the likes of tiken Jah Fakoly Live from Paris and you experience, what magical experience the music can be.

Soundtrack from inception can bring up goosebumps!

Altho there are certain tracks that feel very detatched, it's like the music stops being as a whole and instead you hear each and every element performing it's own show. It's wierd a weird experience. Zensors are truly capable of allowing that level of separation altho it's not something i like, quite the opposite. Altho i'm 90% sure it's not their fault, it's the poor management by yamaha. Afterall it's the home cinema amp which was built with intention to separate all those explosions bullet fire sound and such alike, and it's simply doing it's thing. I need to get that NAD amp as soon as possible, and i bet the problem will be non existent.

So i'm bumping my rating to full 5 stars now. Cheers!

vanten

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Icecoldart,

Do you have the NAD D 3020 already? I'm really curious about how you think it combines with the Zensor 3's.

I'm considering the same combination ;)

Henry Winter

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Could any of you kind people please comment on your preference between the Zensor 3 or 5? I haven't listened to either of them. Since I live in a rather remote spot, that would necessarily entail mail-ordering one of them.

Since I am furnishing the room in question I guess I could position both (the room is roughly 3,5 x 3,5 metres) and the price different is not that significant either. I listen to classical music only but I would also like to use them as part of a 5.1 setup with Zensor 1s in the back and a Zensor Vokal Centre Speaker. I could also buy a sub, that would not be a problem.

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Henry Winter said:
Yes, him :D

(Kidding - any thoughts on the topic?)

I actually prefer the Zensor 1s to the 3s, faster and more articulate, which suits me.

Zensor 5 uses the same size bass drivers so I would give them a go.

*The* DDC...... 8)

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I preffered the Zensor 3 to the Zensor 1, the 1 just didn't have enough scale and bass for me, it was just lacking that bit of depth. The 3 was much richer and fuller bodied sounding to me.

I have not heard the 5 but IME the smaller box will offer more precision and tighter control, where as the floor stander will offer a bit more reinforcement to the lower frequencies. It is hard to say without actually hearing them though as the 5 uses the smaller driver.

The review for the Zensor 3 is in the new issue WHF and gets 5 stars, however the 5 gets 4 stars and one comment in the review that sticks out for me if you are a classical fan is " layered recordings slightly harder to follow than they should be". I know you can't rely entirely on reviews but if you can't hear the speakers yourself then you have to put a certain amount of faith in them.

I have the 3 and I think they are fantastic and highly recommend them!

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Agree with Garett.

The 1s and 5s are very good speakers, but each has certain quirks and limitations*. Dali have hit a sweet-spot with the 3.

This often happens within speaker ranges- take the B&W 685 for example; it won Product of the Year in the mag, while its little brothers, the 686s, did not go down so well.

I have not yet read the full WHF? review, but I saw snippets of it yesterday on the Dali Facebook page. Good to see that WHF? think exactly the same about them as I do!

I do think also, that if they had made it to review a bit quicker, Q Acoustics would have had a real fight on for the PotY award.... (IMHO!)

*- I have not heard the 5s, this statement is based purely on reviews...

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Anyone tried them with the Marantz CR603? Seriously thinking about treating myself to a pair of these. I liked the Zensor 1's a lot, it wasn't a big enough sound for my likeing, not enough bass and a bit lacking what WHF call "Authority and Scale" (I think!)

Henry Winter

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Kind people, thank you for your replies. Now three of you advise to go for the Zensor 3, whereas one is a fervant supporter of the 5. I would be very happy to get more thoughts from all of you! Thanks very much!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
In theory the two smaller drivers are of a larger area than the single larger one so, in theory, will move more air together with the larger cabinet.

In theory, all other things being equal, transient response or the cones reaction to a signal should be faster on the smaller ones as there is less weight/area to move.

In theory, the one (larger) cone and tweeter arrangement is closer to a point source than the wider spaced two mid/bass drivers/tweeter.

In theory, the larger cabinet, if equally brazed, will be more susceptible to coloration/vibration than the smaller one.

... Theory is nice but it doesn't always work like that :)

Regards

Nationalizer

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I just got them after Black Friday at a little discount. I began looking at them after I heard the Zensor 5 in a showroom and I was wow.

The only other ones I was considering were the MA BX2 but the difference between them is huge. I guess it also depends on what kind of music you listen to.

I'm still wearing them down, they sounded too flat for the first few days but now I think they get better and better.

Don't think you can go wrong with these (unless you want them for dubstep).

(I run them on Yamaha A-S500 and Music Fidelity V90-DAC)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I tend to favour more potent amplifiers than most on here and found that to bring more scale to the Zensor 1s than might be expected without compromising the speed and agility of the bass.

The extra warmth and body from the Zensor 3 sounded false to me, maybe if I had a very dry, tight room........... :?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts