Dali Zensor 1 for tv sound ?

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Want to replace my Boston xs 5.1 system with a pair Dali Zensor 1s . Firstly , I think they will look neater on nice low stands , second hoping tv/film sound will be slightly clearer and the music better. Missus buying closed in tv unit so no space for resting speakers anymore ( not arranged as surround sound !).

Also having to replace Yamaha RX-V667 with Marantz nr1504 slimline to fit in.

I have separate music room with separates.

Will the Dalis work on their own and with the Marantz . Not worried about booming base for tv or films. I usually turn it down.

Thanks.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The Dalis will work, but the Marantz is going to send everything through just the two speakers (obviously) so you wont get the voices coming through a centre speaker like with a 5.1 setup. It is likely to be a better sound than from your tv, but it wont be surround sound.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Marantz nr1504 can do 5.1 if i need but is slimmer than the Yamaha.

I only have the BA 5.1 set up all speakers together anyway, so no difference .

I just think better quality vs quantity . I rarely watch films and only have the sub on low. I'd rather listen to the detail than a wall of sound. I need to change the A/V amp anyway due to new unit. I will obviously try to listen at dealers first . But wondered if anyone on here had them as a 2.0 or a 2.1 with the Dali sub maybe ?

Thanks

pauljack00

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I own the Zensor 1s and run them through a Marantz NR1601 AV Reciever. They are very very clear on stereo without using the center speaker and most tv is still presented in stereo anyway.

In otherwords good choice.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for that . I am gonna get down to Richer Sounds as soon as I can with the missus so I can get her on side :)

She got kind of used to the 5 little black boxes but hated the large sub , so hoping the 2 larger speakers on pretty stands will work for her too.

Cheers.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Can I ask, why would you want to buy a surround-sound AV receiver with 5 (or 7) internal amplifiers if you only intend to use two of them? You'd be better off using your money to buy a stereo amp with two internal amplifiers of a better quality. There are plenty of reasonably slim stereo amps that would fit the bill.

Or if you still want all the features of the NR1504 (Airplay, internet radio, networking), maybe consider the Marantz MCR603 / MCR510 / MCR610?

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I have , and am considering this . I would need to run the B/Ray and Virgin through the TV first then out via ( presumably ) optical to an amp . Only problem with a pure stereo amp is if I want to add a small sub at some time its not possible .

My 2 HDMIs on TV are enough for me as I dont play games on it .

I need to change a/v amp anyway due to new TV unit with no space for gigantic a/v amp . So ....could use my Marantz PM6003 as I want to get a Rega Brio to go with my RS5s anyway .......

Its all too complicated - but fun....

Ta

pauljack00

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you get the AV reciever you always have the option of upgrading to a 5.1 over time, which I have just done, started with the 1's then the Vokal centre and I've just upgraded to the 5's at the front and moved the 1's to the rear it sounds amazing, so warm and full of sound.

just need the sub now.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you want ultimately. There are some stereo amps that do support subwoofers, including the Marantz MCR610.

i used to have a stereo amp with the following configuration...

Virgin PVR & Bluray via HDMI into TV

TV via RCA output into my Cambridge Azur amp.

The stereo sound was superb, despite the coversion being made by my Panny plasma. Does your Panny TV have RCA outputs too, as this could be an option.

Alternatively if you see yourself going back down the 5.1 route in future, I can understand going for the Marantz NR1504, although you could use the pre-outs from your AV receiver and still feed all stereo sources into your stereo amp. (edit - correction!! - stated "AV amp" before - twit)

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Pana has RCA so that is an option. The MCR610 is very nice and I thought it was bigger than it is and it would indeed fit in the new TV unit . But i dont need the CD player as I would just use the Sony DVD . I do have seperate music stuff in another room - mainly a the missus doesnt want the extra bits in there.

My Yamaha currently had HDMI input 1 not working so if I sell it I need to sort that out . I may need to use the Marantz Amp I have to time being anyway as selling Yamaha will fund the new Marantz AV amp. Gonna try a firmware update at the weekend then have a look at the pin connections as apparently they are fragile.

Ta,

Phil

thatchersgold

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I have the Zensor 1 with an Onkyo TX-8050 and think they sound great. Surprising bass from relatively small boxes

Whilst it is very much 2.0 you still, on occasion, get the sound coming from way-off to the side - enough to make me turn my head to see were its coming from!

If a TX-8050 will fit then that has a seperate sub out for 2.1

Cheers

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Tell me chaps, if.....I go for M-cr610 + sensor 1s I presume TiVo and B/Ray will play direct to TV then all sound out to Marantz via optical . Is this better/as good as using NR1504 ?

If I get a NAS type system will this work ok with the cr610 ?

I think I need to go through specs etc. Any ideas on quality of sound between the two ?

Cripes, nothings ever simple is it.....

Ta,

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
You've probably reached the stage where you just need to have a demo & let your own ears figure it out. Spec sheets are all very well, but sometimes options you've given serious consideration to are disgarded in 15 minutes when you hear them and just go "NOOOOO!!!"

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna try out the Marantz MCR510 as well as it lacks only CD and Dab tuner. CDs I can play through B/ray player and tv has radio,if I need. Much cheaper and on a deal with the Dalis only £399 .

so got to try out : MCR510 , 610 and Marantz NR1504 , all with the Dalis.

phil

TRENDING THREADS