dali opticon 6 speakers maybe an issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
MajorFubar said:
To be fair if all they produce is audio above 15kHz they're probably going to be wasted on anyone over 30 or anyone under 30 who listens to digital audio at CD quality or less. I'll stop short of saying "ergo they're a pointles gimmick" because my experience of them is zero...

also these aren't the only speakers "guilty" of going well over 15KHz, it's not the reserve of ribbon tweeters! plenty quote responses over 30 KHz. Probably a marketing gimmick as much as anything in my opinion
well this is the first time i have owned ribbon tweeter speakers before so did not know what to expect from a ribbon tweeter and i agree that it is pointless and as i had that issue with them in the week i thought to myself they had stopped working mybe i should borrow a cat of the steet *crazy*lol they would hear the ribbon tweeters

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
We can actually hear beyond 20kHz, but our brain ignores it as valid audibe information. People who can't hear 20kHz or 18kHz, can steel feel it as a presence, but not audible. I personally don't feel it or hear it, though I acknowledge that each of us is slightly different in this aspect as biological organisms.
hey ! i am from the plant mars i have 4 ears !*secret* i brought the abrahamsen 2up today i get it thursday can not wait

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
We can actually hear beyond 20kHz, but our brain ignores it as valid audibe information. People who can't hear 20kHz or 18kHz, can still feel it as a presence, but not audible. I personally don't feel it or hear it, though I acknowledge that each of us is slightly different in this aspect as biological organisms.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
We can actually hear beyond 20kHz, but our brain ignores it as valid audibe information. People who can't hear 20kHz or 18kHz, can still feel it as a presence, but not audible. I personally don't feel it or hear it, though I acknowledge that each of us is slightly different in this aspect as biological organisms.

Yes, and there is some evidence that high frequencies, while not consciously heard, assist the brain with spatial location.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
The options are perfect to test this higher frequency band theory.... Blu tack on 2 half tennis balls over the ribbon tweeters.... Listen, then remove and listen. My money is on chuff all difference, but would be interested in results if anyone performed this.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:

Yes, and there is some evidence that high frequencies, while not consciously heard, assist the brain with spatial location.

Sound at such high frequencies is very directional.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
The options are perfect to test this higher frequency band theory.... Blu tack on 2 half tennis balls over the ribbon tweeters.... Listen, then remove and listen. My money is on chuff all difference, but would be interested in results if anyone performed this.
i have no tennis balls but i think you lot are right my ears just can not pick up the frequency that low . you had a demo of some of this dali opticon 6s its more then like richer sounds pair were not run -in as mine were not as i got mine ex demo and the room i had my demo was small but they are very good speakers good for rock , metal music or any kind music the best i have had yet go well with marantz .

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
hi not sure if i have an issue with my speakers ? they sound ok but i can not hear any sound coming from the ribbon twetters as they are so close to the dome twetter i have put my hand over the dome twetter so i could see if i could hear or feel anything from the ribbon part of the speaker but i can not tell if they are woring or not are you meant to feel something from them ?

classic case of tea & biscuit deficiency syndrome.

you need to drink more tea my friend.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
hi not sure if i have an issue with my speakers ? they sound ok but i can not hear any sound coming from the ribbon twetters as they are so close to the dome twetter i have put my hand over the dome twetter so i could see if i could hear or feel anything from the ribbon part of the speaker but i can not tell if they are woring or not are you meant to feel something from them ?

so do you lol*shok*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

so do you lol*shok*

Animesh seems very determined to keep telling you what to do.
ITHHGTF.gif

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

so do you lol*shok*

just a friendly advice, thats all

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Animesh Ghose said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Animesh Ghose said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

so do you lol*shok*

just a friendly advice, thats all

You're a good mom and he is a bit tense. Rum tea wouldn't hurt.

Abe is comming. I'd be nervous too. Harrrrr.
wink.gif

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I very much hope so.

Last week when Blacksabbath25 phoned me the conclusion was to buy the 2nd V2.0UP on Ebay being sold by another customer of mine who wanted more power, ( He upgraded from a MFM6PRE £2000 ish to a £699 V3.0UP preamp*biggrin* on a recent demo). He was still udecided whether to go for 2 x V4.0UP at £1600 normaly £1840 or a £999 Nord One. He has since bought the cheaper option but intends to upgrade it to the Nord One UP using discret OP Amps to gine the rich Abrahamsen kind of sound.

Point is I actually wanted to help the OP get great value while supporting the Abrahamsen brand and my other loyal customer sell his 2nd hand Amp. He missed the Ebay one, but bought a new one today which if its not a big improvement on his current amp he can send back. I really dont see the point of making money if somebody is not happy, I love doing this and in the end If you do it well with superb products it will work. Luckilly at the moment I have small overheads and have this luxury. Thursday will tell, I have asked for a phone call and a wart and all answer!

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh and by the way Vlad the OP appreciated your technical help, I also described how you designed the Logo's for me and how we initially had a litte falling out which soon became history.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
A very simple test

Play music and stand with one ear facing the speakers.
Then swat down to the bass woofers - take in the sound then go up and take in the hf tweeters- you should be able to hear the change in sound to verify the tweeters are working.

In your case as it has two tweeters might be different but the half tennis ball test seems the best way.

Btw congratulations on the abrahamsen amp.

Next youll need some atc's

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Oh and by the way Vlad the OP appreciated your technical help, I also described how you designed the Logo's for me and how we initially had a litte falling out which soon became history.

I'm happy to help a good guy like our Ozzy. *drinks*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
A very simple test

Play music and stand with one ear facing the speakers. Then swat down to the bass woofers - take in the sound then go up and take in the hf tweeters- you should be able to hear the change in sound to verify the tweeters are working.

In your case as it has two tweeters might be different but the half tennis ball test seems the best way.

Btw congratulations on the abrahamsen amp.

Next youll need some atc's
it's very difficult to tell because the ribbon tweeter is right next door to the dome tweeter and as the dome tweeter is outputing sound and vibranting next door to the ribbon it's hard to tell if there is anything coming out of them but I thought they were like the dome tweeter were you could here something coming out of them but you see I have never owned speakers with this in them before but this might be working but my ears can not pick them up unless they blend there sound in with all of the drivers in the speakers but the speakers do sound ok that's the thing

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
So basically then the ribbon tweeter is nigh on pointless? If it kicks in properly after 14 KHz, almost no adult can hear it.............and i cant imagine many children can afford a pair lol.

Also there are not many children recording and/or mastering (serious) music. Therefore if you can hear frequencies above 14 KHz coming out of your speakers it could be argued that the musicians/technicians could not hear those frequencies in the studio, and that you are not therefore hearing what the artist intended you to hear. Interesting.....

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
sounds about right ones your over 30 years old your stuffed *bad*they should put a sticker on the speakers saying warning not for sale for anyone over 30 years old i wonder if i could take them back and say you miss sold me this speakers ?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Try playing a sine wave sweep off YouTube to hear true 15kHz and above being played. Music has very little information this high up the frequency range so I wouldn't expect the tweeter to be doing anything anyway.

Your tweeters are probably fine but most middle aged men can't hear above 15Hz so it's probably just your ears. I bet that if you listen to a sine wave above 15kHz through headphones you still won't hear it either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts