Dali Ikon 1 v Dali Lektor 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Hello All,

I've bought these on the strength of mathewpiano's and The record spots recommendations and I have to say it been re-enforced by the user review I've read. I have to admit I struggled to press the buy button because of the high 70hz frequency response, but I also have chosen overall sound quality over bass and I'm looking forward to trying them.

The record spot & mathewpiano & plastic penguin:

Having paid just £80 for them, if they give me the same joy as most others who own them I'll be one happy camper!

Mathewpiano:

A few of the user reviews strongly recommended bi-wiring these?

matthewpiano

Mine aren't bi-wired at present and I'm very happy with the sound. However, I have replaced the links between the terminals (which were missing from my pair anyway) with short cuts of speaker cable and I've diamond-wired - the positive is plugged into the bottom set of terminals and the negative into the top.

Bi-wiring depends very much on the amp/speaker relationship. If you have enough cable it is probably worth trying it and comparing the difference.

T

the record spot

matthewpiano said:
RS - The original 751s have the inverted driver arrangement as well.

Doh! So they do! It's been a while Matthew - nearly 20 years since I had them...the memory's the first thing to go, etc.

The difference is the tweeter arrangement in the main I think. Can't recall the other details, but the introduction of the silk dome tweeter did no harm to their popularity in the end. Cracking speakers whichever one you buy.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Matthew or RS - what [modern]speaker would you compare them to or do they better?

I haven't heard many modern standmounts, but I do read a lot of comments from others around too bassy, too bright, too much of this, that, the next thing. All I can say is the characteristics of the 751 leave them strong in every department.

The 752 is the same really. I heard a pair of £1000 Dali Ikon 5s last summer and while they were good, I wouldn't be nipping out and handing that over while the 752s are still going strong. Rather like the Sansui amp, I imagine I might need to spend a good deal more to improve on the performance.

The performance is simply great detail, great midrange, good bass extension (especially the 751 which has bass that belies its size, the 752 being a bit more lean, so partnering is a must there) but without any of those winning out heavily over the other two, so you're left with a speaker for all seasons. I've no idea how Mission did it, but I'm delighted they did!

Bob: Yes, £80 well spent and even if you don't like them, you'll move them on for no loss and possibly even some gain.

EDIT: Re: Biwiring - I had my 752s biwired and recently went with single-wired and cable jumpers I made. Both configurations sound good.

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Hope it's ok to piggy-back but I was wondering whether the Mission 751s might help with my brightness problem.

As I mentioned to PP a couple of weeks back, I'm getting rather harsh midrange on some of my music (rocky stuff Dinosaur Jnr, The Coral, Hard-Fi etc) from my Arcam 8/8P, 7SE, rDock thru some old MA S1s (impulse buy). Sounded fab in old house but new front room has wooden floors and big window. My dearly beloved - but non-music loving - wife won't countenance carpets. Due to a recent change in my employment status, the speakers PP recommended ( Epos M5i, Focal 706 and PMC DB1s) are now out of my price range. Could the Missions be the answer?

Be patient, I'm pretty new to all this.
smiley-embarassed.gif

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hello all,

Slithytove:

If I'm lucky I'll have 751's by the weekend, but most probably next week. When they come I'll post my thoughts on them in another thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts