admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Right, having read an article on the Bowers and Wilkins website recently I've been convinced that digital music is the future (for those who didn't catch my previous post about it here it is.... http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=3534&terid=3537).

So I'm prepping myself by purchasing a DAC in the near future. There seems to be a few quality DACs that don't cost an arm and a leg on the market at the moment and I'm having trouble deciding which one so would like some input from you friendly folk.

Currently I have my eye on the Benchmark DAC1 and Russ Andrews DAC which I've read good things about but the problem with these 2 is that hearing them is not a possibility as they're both internet based companies. The Beresford one also seems pretty popular here and looks very tempting for the price! I plan to get my hands on the cyrus DAC soon and give that a whirl but I'm not sure what my other options would be.

The DAC would be used as a source for a quad 77/606 combo going into AE aelite 3 speakers, and I'm aiming for a neutral but clear sound (I guess sorta studio like which also has me leaning towards the DAC1 a bit more)

A

Anonymous

A good compromise on cost and features is a CDP with a digital input, like the Cambridge Audios.

A

Anonymous

As far as I'm aware it's only the 740 and 840 models from Cambridge audio that can be used as off board DACs, If I'm spending that sorta money I can afford to have a separate off board of higher quality

A

Anonymous

I have a Benchmark DAC1 PRE and a few other DACs. It's a good unit. I highly recommend the PS Audio DLIII DAAC as well.

A

Anonymous

I have the Cyrus DAC-X and thoroughly recommend it. It's not cheap, but is a great performer and has plenty of inputs (both optical and coax).

I have my cd transport, dvd and console all connected to it and use my stereo speakers for films/gaming and am really enjoying it. Soundtracks on films and games sound amazing too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Benchmark DAC1 is suppose to be very good, Beresford is a nice budget machine but if you could stretch a bit more try look in to Stello or Audio Sythesis as I found they took digital source to another level without have to pay dCS money for them.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="thfcwestlower"]
I have the Cyrus DAC-X and thoroughly recommend it. It's not cheap, but is a great performer and has plenty of inputs (both optical and coax).

I have my cd transport, dvd and console all connected to it and use my stereo speakers for films/gaming and am really enjoying it. Soundtracks on films and games sound amazing too.
[/quote]

I agree the Cyrus sounds good and is very flexible. I'd recommend it anytime.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Anton90125"]

I agree the Cyrus sounds good and is very flexible. I'd recommend it anytime.

[/quote]

Hi Anton i thought I tell you that listen to Stello next to dac-X and stello is clearly better imho. not so much on details but on imaging and authority the far east DAC is a clear winner.

A

Anonymous

I am seriously considering a Logitech Transporter. I have a Squeeze Box now, and use it with my Bryston's built in DAC. I have heard a lot of great things about the Transporter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts