DACs under £350, combination headphone amps and CA DacMagic Plus upsampling

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I demo'd it in RS without any problems - just installed the driver and it worked perfectly :) (Windows 7 x64 and iTunes, in case anyone was wondering).

But thanks for the heads-up.

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the MF V-dac II in my system for 1,5 years.

It was an engaging, full, musical experience and it wasn't until I got too picky I decided to upgrade.

I have the Lindemann now and couldn't be happier but last week I upgraded the PSU and was forced to send the original as well.

So my dealer was kind enough to lend me a CA DacMagic Plus to use for two weeks while my DAC was cripple.

The first week it could barely put a smile on my face. After a week I noticed it started to sound smoother and more detail and resolution snuck in. I use the USB connection when listening to music.

The two things that remained to bother me were the voices that sounded edgy and somewhat unpleasant. (could need further burn-in)

The bass was prominent but at the lowest notes it got a little blurry.

I also had the impression that it sounded a lot better if you gave it more hi-res stuff. With 320 kpbs it was not such an able performer.

The headphone out was not bad at all. I used it with my Ultrasone HFI 680 while watching TV and remember a clean, detailed output

that was only to get picky held back by sounding a bit soft sometimes. I have a small portable headphone amp (Leckerton UHA-4) that

is more punchy and dynamic compared. But the CA sounded it's best when I played something like Melody Gardot or Celtic Woman. It had

a fuller and more detailed sound then my mobile amp.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the MF over the CA anyday.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
SolarGlider said:
I've had the MF V-dac II in my system for 1,5 years.

It was an engaging, full, musical experience and it wasn't until I got too picky I decided to upgrade.

I have the Lindemann now and couldn't be happier but last week I upgraded the PSU and was forced to send the original as well.

So my dealer was kind enough to lend me a CA DacMagic Plus to use for two weeks while my DAC was cripple.

The first week it could barely put a smile on my face. After a week I noticed it started to sound smoother and more detail and resolution snuck in. I use the USB connection when listening to music.

The two things that remained to bother me were the voices that sounded edgy and somewhat unpleasant. (could need further burn-in)

The bass was prominent but at the lowest notes it got a little blurry.

I also had the impression that it sounded a lot better if you gave it more hi-res stuff. With 320 kpbs it was not such an able performer.

The headphone out was not bad at all. I used it with my Ultrasone HFI 680 while watching TV and remember a clean, detailed output

that was only to get picky held back by sounding a bit soft sometimes. I have a small portable headphone amp (Leckerton UHA-4) that

is more punchy and dynamic compared. But the CA sounded it's best when I played something like Melody Gardot or Celtic Woman. It had

a fuller and more detailed sound then my mobile amp.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the MF over the CA anyday.

Totally agree !

T

the record spot

ISAC69 said:
It looks like a very good product but I am a little suspicious about this DAC please look carefullly at this customer review :

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-UDH01-B-Converter-Audio-Interface/product-reviews/B006I6FXUM/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt/181-3658681-2700225?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Currently using it, bought it a fortnight ago and the only real pains are having to download the driver for the USB off Teac's website and the input light blinking when a source is disconnected. Otherwise, build is good, sound quality nice, no complaints and you get a very good quality 32-bit DAC for £150.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I've ended up with the TEAC UD-H01 (£135 open-box from RS) and am very happy with it, in combination with the PM6004 and BX2s. I haven't spent much time using the headphone amp feature, but it seems decent and to my ears, superior to the DM+ (borrowed off a friend).Thanks for all those who offered advice, and apologies if I didn't follow it, haha.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
john_caius said:
Hi guys, I've ended up with the TEAC UD-H01 (£135 open-box from RS) and am very happy with it, in combination with the PM6004 and BX2s. I haven't spent much time using the headphone amp feature, but it seems decent and to my ears, superior to the DM+ (borrowed off a friend).Thanks for all those who offered advice, and apologies if I didn't follow it, haha.

I think you've got a reply in the new issue of the magazine btw...

A

Anonymous

Yes, I noticed! It was a good recommendation - I loved the rDAC, but really couldn't justify paying £135 more for it...

TRENDING THREADS