admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to thank you all so far for your time in helping me build, and install my system. I now have a Cambridge Audio 540A V2 amp, an Onkyo DS-A2 which is used as an Ipod dock, being connected to my amp using Ixos interconnects and then my amp will be connected to some MA BR2's (within the next month) using QED SA XT speaker cable.

I am wondering whether I should consider a DAC for the Ipod playing through the Onkyo dock, or if I would get better sound quality through connecting a DAC to my MacBook Pro using Airport Express which I have read a little about [although my amp has no digital inputs]. I listen to rock music mainly and my music file formats are mostly high[ish] quality MP3 and some lossless.

Again, thanks for all your help so far!

Lee

A

Anonymous

Well that dock doesn't have a digital out so you couldn't use a DAC with it anyway.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
the dac has analogue outs, so you don't need digital ins on your amp.

digital ins on an amp would indicate it had an onboard dac, like a naim supernait.

A

Anonymous

Of course having analogue outs is one of the two vitals in an external DAC.

A

Anonymous

Ohh, my bad! If I was to connect from my Mac then, do you think the sound quality would be much improved? How much do you think a decent DAC for this would be for my system?

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

Yes it would be a drastic (as this kind of money goes) improvement. Buy this months WHF which has a group test of DACs up to around £200. Beresford and Cambridge are the main contenders.

ÿWhat kind of bit rate are your files?ÿ

A

Anonymous

I've just read the reviews the CA looks pretty good... It will work out at a lot of pennies though! It;s impossible to state a certain bit rate but I would say 50% are MP3 stated at around 220kbps and the other 50% are Apple Lossless at about 1000kbps

A

Anonymous

No problem there then. I used to have the Beresford so I can vouch for that but I haven't heard the CA or read the review so can be of no help there.

A

Anonymous

If I'm looking to purchase one of these, is there any sites in particular you can recommend? I can't find a site even mentioning the Beresford nor the CA hah.

Lee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts