DAC with HDMI?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
After experimenting with a DAC or two (some oldies and a Beresford) I think I'd like to buy something a little better.

But I was just wondering why no DAC's that I've come across have HDMI. Seems like a logical step? Is there a reason why DAC's don't have HDMI? If not, is it a likely addition to the next wave of machines?

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm trying to maximise the period that I'll have the thing without it being obsolete. Ta!
emotion-1.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Because they'd also require additional hardware and software to decode LPCM, plus the HD surround formats.

And if they can't decode those, there's no advantage of having HDMI over S/PDIF connections.

A

Anonymous

S/PDIF has less jitter anyway. typically ~400ps. HDMI often has ~6000ps jitter. Saddens me really

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Some laptops (like my HP) have only an HDMI digital output. This is great when connecting to my home cinema amp for AV content, but obviously not for hi-res audio, which I would like to experiment with, but then would obviously want to go via a DAC into my stereo set-up. If HDMI has higher jitter than S/PDIF, then how does that compare to connecting to a DAC via USB?

Incidentally the option in my soundcard settings for selecting the digital output is named S/PDIF, despite only being sent out via the HDMI connection....so it it really S/PDIF?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Couldn't agree more. Some nights I lay awake sobbing over it...

You do make me giggle mr. E....pukka nice one
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

In the absence of Toslink and S/PDIF ports, and ruling out HDMI, would you rate connecting a mid-price Cambridge Audio DAC Magic to a USB port as a good solution?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Nick Thorp:In the absence of Toslink and S/PDIF ports, and ruling out HDMI, would you rate connecting a mid-price Cambridge Audio DAC Magic to a USB port as a good solution?

What amp and speakers do you have and will you be using lossless files?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

Because they'd also require additional hardware and software to decode LPCM, plus the HD surround formats.

And if they can't decode those, there's no advantage of having HDMI over S/PDIF connections.

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Appreciated!

I'm in a similar situation to Dan, in that I have PC's that have HDMI as their only method of outputting digital audio. I just thought (well, hoped!) that as there may be other hardware which was similarly equipped, that there may be demand for DAC's to feature HDMI connections.

I now understand that there would no performance advantage, but it would be far simpler for me to make a direct connection to my laptop, rather than having to stream the audio through another piece of kit. I guess I'll just need to keep using the Airport Express
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts