DAC with Blu-ray

manicm

Hi

I watch movies in stereo with my Blu-ray player connected via its analogue outs to stereo amplifier. The big problem is with dialogue. If I get a DAC and then use the digital coaxial/optical out from the player, and choose the '2-channed downmix' option from said output will I get better dialogue results?

F

FunkyMonkey

Are you sure that your blu ray is set to stereo mode? That should downix correctly. I have used a blu ray player with 2 channel output using a stereo amp and it sounded better than the dolby digital through an old receiver (without havign benefit of surround sound of course!).

manicm

Sony BDP-S360, it's setup correctly - I have set the stereo analogue outputs as the primary audio choice.

I just wanted to know if using stereo through the digital coaxial/optical through a DAC would give better results.

F

FunkyMonkey

manicm:

Sony BDP-S360, it's setup correctly - I have set the stereo analogue outputs as the primary audio choice.

I just wanted to know if using stereo through the digital coaxial/optical through a DAC would give better results.

The point is, you SHOULD NOT be having trouble hearing dialogue using a stereo amp. I never had this with DVD's OR Blu Rays when I used to use a stereo amp.

manicm

I've had numerous DVD players and now a Blu-ray player with various hifi systems and I always had to crank up the volume to hear dialogue with DVDs, which was tolerable.

With Blu-rays however it is worse.

And my setups are correct - and my problem certainly isn't unique - after all in a stereo system one is losing the dedicated centre channel for dialogue/midband in movies.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
manicm:after all in a stereo system one is losing the dedicated centre channel for dialogue/midband in movies.

True, but that doesn't mean the dialogue isn't output - if you have correct setup, the centre channel is just sent through to the right and left speakers instead so certainly shouldn't be any lower in the mix than if you did have a centre speaker.

manicm

professorhat:

manicm:after all in a stereo system one is losing the dedicated centre channel for dialogue/midband in movies.

True, but that doesn't mean the dialogue isn't output - if you have correct setup, the centre channel is just sent through to the right and left speakers instead so certainly shouldn't be any lower in the mix than if you did have a centre speaker.

Ok, so what could I be doing wrong?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'll be honest and say, no idea as I haven't used a stereo setup for movies for quite a few years now! However, being that I've been all bullish and so blatantly said all should be well and it clearly isn't, I'll try and get my setup in stereo tomorrow to see if there's a setting somewhere which might be the cause - I have the BDP-S550 rather than S360, but hopefully not much has changed when it comes to selecting a stereo output.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts