DAC & Wireless

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
shooter69:nij_1:A lossless file is processed to reduce its file size but no information is thrown away, unlike mp3. However some people prefer to use WAV uncompressed because of the extra work the computer has to do to return lossless files back to their original state when playing them back.The benefits of WAV over lossles are debatable.Okay, if I then rip a CD in lossless and play though a DAC would this give better results than the CD in a player as there is no transport?

As per my post above, I have tried lossless through the DAC on my CDP versus the same CD funnily enough through the DAC on my CDP. The lossless file wasn't as good as the CD. Not a massive amount in it, but for me the CD had more musicality, a bigger soundstage, longer decaying on notes etc etc.

Now you could also say that going through an Airport Express and 2 extra cables has a difference, which could explain a slight loss of information. I really don't know, all I can say it that the CD sounds better.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
How about jitter and other related problems, does that side of it make any difference with a CDP or file?

I'm wondering if i ripped everything on the mac and played it through a decent DAC like a QBD76 would it be better than my CDP?

What are the pro's and con's sound wise?

Sitting down and controlling a library of music the from the sofa via a touch definitely ticks the box.
emotion-1.gif

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
For me, I was thinking of using the DAC for playback of my iTunes for a variety of reasons.

1. Convenience, especially when it is just background music.

2. Quality. From what I have read, the optical out of the AE is far, far superior to the analogue signal (that could be DAC dependant though).

3. Various locations. I have 2 homes so having all my CD's in both locations is impractical. Being able to playback any track is appealing.

Possible bonuses:- The DAC could also improve my CD player (but apparently unlikely) and/or the sound from the AE could match my CD player. If it did match the sound quality then I could sell the CD player to "justify" the extra expense of the DAC and save on one box in the room. This however would just be a bonus as it wasn't my original intention to rid of the CD player. If I get a DAC though at least I can compare and decide for myself. And hook up my DVD player, TV............

Current favourite is the Caiman based on reviews, price and extra inputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts