DAC / USB noise

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I've tried using a MacBook Pro via USB into both the DAC on an Audiolab 8200CD and an Audioquest Dragonfly.

In both DACs there is an ESS Sabre chip.

In both cases there is an aubible click / tick about every thirty seconds :cry: . This is apparent in both speaker and headphone listening :cry: .

The Macbook has two USB sockets. The irritating noise is produced by both sockets, so I can't swap the socket to fix the problem .

I've heard that Macbook Pros share the USB hubs internally, so perhaps something is refreshing?

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air and neither produce this noise from any USB socket passing into my USB DAC inputs.

Any thoughts? :?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
adamrobertshaw said:
I've tried using a MacBook Pro via USB into both the DAC on an Audiolab 8200CD and an Audioquest Dragonfly.

In both DACs there is an ESS Sabre chip.

In both cases there is an aubible click / tick about every thirty seconds :cry: . This is apparent in both speaker and headphone listening :cry: .

The Macbook has two USB sockets. The irritating noise is produced by both sockets, so I can't swap the socket to fix the problem .

I've heard that Macbook Pros share the USB hubs internally, so perhaps something is refreshing?

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air and neither produce this noise from any USB socket passing into my USB DAC inputs.

Any thoughts? :?

sounds like there's some kind of earthing issues or faulty usb ports on the macbook pro. I've had it on laptops before...

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of optical outs. I stick to digital co-ax where I can but this isn't an option on the Macbook.

I have tried optical using one of those mini 3.5mm optical adaptors. It was poor compared to USB.

Also myintention was to use the Dragonfly as a travel USB DAC and power headphones etc.

I intend to use Audirvana Plus on the Macbook. I already have it installed on the Mac mini. It is as good as CD, gets improved regularly.

But it would be a duff purchase if everything was spoiled by what is probably an electrical interferance problem within the Macbook.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes I get an inkling it might be the earthing. When I switch on my 8200CD while my mac mini is on and connected by USB, it immediately makes a brief crackling noise in the audio chanels and also makes my monitor blink.

I'll just have to live with it. :wall:

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
A powered 2.0 USB hub should fixed the problem and can be picked up for about a tenner.

If you're feeling flush you could try the fancy version which acts as a hub and gives a clean power supply, people report great results with this called iFi USB power supply and is around £175.

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

TRENDING THREADS