DAC Theory Question from a Beginner!

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

First of all, I feel like I want to announce to the world that - after 21 years in denail - I have finally embraced my inner geek and am quite enjoying 'trying to become an audiophile'.....! I'd very much appreciate it if you could help me on my journey....!

So, I'm buying my first 'separates' HiFi system (probably a Marantz PM6004 amp and a pair of Q Acoustics 2050i floor speakers), but will be using my MacBook Air as my source. Whilst I'll try to mainly use lossless files, I realise this isn't ideal, and I know I should be trying to bypass the Mac's probably inferior digital to analogue conversion abilities.

My question is:

-the amp I'm choosing is an 'integrated' amp, so it has a DAC included already (right....?)

-in that case, I'm hoping that the amp will already be taking care of the digital to analogue conversion itself, and so the Mac's crappy DAC abilities are completely bypassed/unused

-therefore my digital to analogue conversion will hopefully be fairly decent, and

-I don't need a separate, external DAC between my Mac and the amp....right?

I really hope I'm right in saying that because my amp will have (hopefully a fairly decent) DAC in it, my Mac's crappy digital to analogue conversion will be bypassed/unnecessary.

Could you please tell me whether or not that's right?

Thank you very much!

Zac

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Two main points, the PM6004 IS an integrated amp but that simply means it has a pre-amp built in and in this case, only has analogue inputs, it has no digital inputs or built-in DAC, so in that case, yes, you would need a separate DAC.

Secondly, what makes you think the Macbook's own DAC isn't very good?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Secondly, what makes you think the Macbook's own DAC isn't very good?

The_Lhc is right. If the Macbook's DAC is as good as the one in my 2011 Mac Mini, it really won't be a critically-bad link in the chain and will certainly suffice until you can get something better.

In fact I'll go as far to say that changing the DAC from the one in your Macbook to something else will probably never achieve more than an improvement-rating of 'Three Wives' at best, more likely two or one:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/forget-whf-‘star’-ratings-i-give-you-‘wife’-ratings

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure becoming an 'audiophile' is a very noble aspiration, but you would be better advised to just buy some decent hifi for your budget and get on with enjoying your music without fuss or worry. Try the new Marantz CR610 or its predecessor the CR603 for size. I believe both have Airplay. Airplay is the best way to use your Macbook untethered from wired connection.

zac92

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the advice, guys :)

I think I might have solved my own problem, though....

I've just seen the option to upgrade to the PM6005, which has a built-in DAC! Does this mean it'll override/bypass my rubbish MacBook Air Dac as I'm hoping it will?

Also, can a MacBook Air connect via coaxial and/or optical to the amp?

If yes to all of these, I don't need a separate DAC :) Thank you!

Zac

daveh75

The MBA only has an analogue 3.5mm minijack output, unlike the combined 3.5mm minijack/optical output of the MBP etc, and they don't have coaxial outputs.

My suggestion would be to add an AEX or ATV as they do have optical outputs and frees your MBA from being tethered to the amp.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
zac92 said:
Thank you for the advice, guys :)

I think I might have solved my own problem, though....

I've just seen the option to upgrade to the PM6005, which has a built-in DAC! Does this mean it'll override/bypass my rubbish MacBook Air Dac as I'm hoping it will?

Also, can a MacBook Air connect via coaxial and/or optical to the amp?

If yes to all of these, I don't need a separate DAC :) Thank you!

Zac

Answered in your other thread, but you'll need a USB spdif converter. Not expensive, if you look around.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If its any help i am using a late 2012 i5 mac mini as a source and have tried reading up on dacs. I have decided to go for a beresford bushmaster mk2 which has literally just been released. Mine will arrive monday!

now then, my mac uses a mini toslink to toslink connection which i bought a fisual pearl lead and have this connected to my yamaha Aventage amp. This then plays the music on my amp. But, to get the best quality from the mac source a dac was advised to me and from my research found this hand made, highly rated excellent bit of kit. This dac is rumoured as one of the better ones especially for the price.

i have been assured that this will open up the audio to unveil the sound as good as it can be. I then use the pure direct mode on my amp to cut out any extra work and all being well, should have some pretty fine, good quality audio to listen to.

it can also accept 4 digital inputs, 2 toslink (optical) and 2 spdif's so i will also plug in my sky hd box as well and possibly the ps3.

As for your amp choice, depends on your speaker coice to match them to get the best sound if you are wanting more 'audiophile' higher end sound. It pays off to match the kit. I chose a yamaha aventage amp which is also a step up from the normal range of surround amps as its more geared towards better sound from a surround sound reciever. i also bought monitor audio speakers as these are known to be a good match for each other.

You can then do other tweeks like better power leads, plugs, fuses, higher end specific extension leads, better speaker wire, good interconnects. Also depends on your budget as well.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It was a 'you can do' not 'you have to' statement, depends on your own personal view. For me, if i have a home made lead using supra lorad, mk tough plated tough plug, i might as well have some sort of audio grade fuse as im a little ott like that, but i do not buy expensive etc, just not standard. I have no proof if it is better or not, i just prefer to do it.

if its not something you do fair enough, does not mean others should be encouraged or discouraged to do so. Everyone has their own views,and obviously you do not seem to bother with the plug or fuses, fair enough, i just like to as its more 'i made it because i can'. Nothing special but its just what i do. ( & many others)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
tj27 said:
if its not something you do fair enough, does not mean others should be encouraged or discouraged to do so. Everyone has their own views,and obviously you do not seem to bother with the plug or fuses, fair enough, i just like to as its more 'i made it because i can'. Nothing special but its just what i do. ( & many others)

I don't have an issue with people spending their money or time on whatever weird and wonderful items they have descovered to 'improve' their system, but I do think it's a bit out of order when nonsense is given as 'good' advice to anyone new to hifi, who in all probability, have no idea whether they are being taken for a ride or not.

Audiophile fuses and specially treated plugs are two such items not worthy of any merit.

Overdose said:
tj27 said:

I don't have an issue with people spending their money or time on whatever weird and wonderful items they have descovered to 'improve' their system, but I do think it's a bit out of order when nonsense is given as 'good' advice to anyone new to hifi, who in all probability, have no idea whether they are being taken for a ride or not.

Audiophile fuses and specially treated plugs are two such items not worthy of any merit.

Well said. If we had a few more forumites that stuck to answering the OP's questions rather than adding pure crepe suggestions that have nothing to do with said questions then we might have a few more newbies going away educated rather than more confused.

alex30

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi Zac,
The answer to your question - will connecting to your Mac with the Amp/Dac combo override the Mac DAC is yes it will.
Connect from your Mac USB to the USB of your Ampo/Dac and do the necessary software connection and you are done.
Regards Alex.

TRENDING THREADS