DAC suggestions (Old or New)

Hey, Im in the market for a good DAC, old or new, for the price of £300 (That's already stretching it)

Any recomendations? I will pair it with my Marantz Pm6004 and Q-Acoustics Concept 20s

Thanks, and I hope your Easter Holidays was good.

Irwan

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would buy a Beresford DAC ...

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/dac.htm

Even after you add tax, their prices are much less than your £300 limit and their DACs are as good as anything out there.

I have personal experience of owning one of their earlier versions for two years in my old Naim system. It was more enjoyable (in my opinion of course) than the Naim CD5i-2 that I ended up selling.

chebby said:

Even after you add tax, their prices are much less than your £300 limit and their DACs are as good as anything out there.

I have personal experience of owning one of their earlier versions for two years in my old Naim system. It was more enjoyable (in my opinion of course) than the Naim CD5i-2 that I ended up selling.

A good suggestion by Chebby.

If you are prepared to buy from eBay there are numerous ex display or demo dacs for sale including the Rega DAC and Audiolab Q DAC.

Al ears said:
chebby said:

A good suggestion by Chebby.

If you are prepared to buy from eBay there are numerous ex display or demo dacs for sale including the Rega DAC and Audiolab Q DAC.

Thanks for your replies, i will definitely read more about it. I found a potential DAC called JoLida Glass FX Tube DAC III for around £300. Would you happen to know, if I can pair a Tube DAC to an amplifier similar to the Marantz Pm6004? Would the sound get better or will it make it muddy due to it being a hybrid set up.

Irwan

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Irwan Kasman said:
Thanks for your replies, i will definitely read more about it. I found a potential DAC called JoLida Glass FX Tube DAC III for around £300. Would you happen to know, if I can pair a Tube DAC to an amplifier similar to the Marantz Pm6004? Would the sound get better or will it make it muddy due to it being a hybrid set up.

Irwan

What made you pluck an obscure American valve/tube DAC out of nowhere? I can see the one on ebay (£325) that I think you are referring to, but what after-sales support are you going to get here in the UK for it?

Are you actually based in the USA? (I thought you were here in the UK based on the description of your budget in £s earlier.)

Good luck.

rainsoothe

Jolida isn't really obscure. For OP's budget, though, I would look at Micromega MyDac and save some money to upgrade the amp to an Arcam A19 in the future (even used). iFi Nano dac (or micro, I forget which one is the 300 pounds one) is also a great option, but might be better suited for something like Naim Nait 5si as an amp, or maybe Abrahamsen.

rainsoothe said:
Jolida isn't really obscure. For OP's budget, though, I would look at Micromega MyDac and save some money to upgrade the amp to an Arcam A19 in the future (even used). iFi Nano dac (or micro, I forget which one is the 300 pounds one) is also a great option, but might be better suited for something like Naim Nait 5si as an amp, or maybe Abrahamsen.

If the OP really wanted to save money I'd point him towards the Schiit Audio Modi3 Uber or the like. Even if he's not in the States :)

bartwuster

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:

If the OP really wanted to save money I'd point him towards the Schiit Audio Modi3 Uber or the like. Even if he's not in the States :)

If OP really wanted to save money, don't buy Schiit product at all, and this is based on personal experience. Recommendation for iFi Nano is superb though.

bartwuster said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:

If OP really wanted to save money, don't buy Schiit product at all, and this is based on personal experience. Recommendation for iFi Nano is superb though.

You must have been unfortunate, never had any problems with mine.

bartwuster said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:

Hey guys, I have read up on some of your suggestions, like the Beresford has a firmware upgrade, which I thought to be pretty cool. I tried to put the items in the cart on said website, and no matter how many times I tried it, when it come to checking out.. It says my cart is empty. I've sent them an email, and whilst waiting for them to reply. I looked up a bit more options, and I found the Arcam irDac, and thought, that i could probably buy a brand new one, if i just hold of on buying the dac for one more month. Now I saw that the Arcam IrDac II is coming out in a few months, but that would take me a few more months to save up (Seeing as I'm a student/Work Park time). What are your thoughts? I could probably stretch it another £100 by the end of april.

Fyi. I just got the Marantz Pm6004 for the price of £160 of ebay, it came broken, due to courier negligence, but the seller is willing to pay for the repair, and she has, and Im kind of done with the whole finding an amp, atleast for the next few years or once I've graduated and more financially capable

Thanks,

Irwan

Irwan Kasman said:
bartwuster said:
Al ears said:
rainsoothe said:

Hey guys, I have read up on some of your suggestions, like the Beresford has a firmware upgrade, which I thought to be pretty cool. I tried to put the items in the cart on said website, and no matter how many times I tried it, when it come to checking out.. It says my cart is empty. I've sent them an email, and whilst waiting for them to reply. I looked up a bit more options, and I found the Arcam irDac, and thought, that i could probably buy a brand new one, if i just hold of on buying the dac for one more month. Now I saw that the Arcam IrDac II is coming out in a few months, but that would take me a few more months to save up (Seeing as I'm a student/Work Park time). What are your thoughts? I could probably stretch it another £100 by the end of april.

Fyi. I just got the Marantz Pm6004 for the price of £160 of ebay, it came broken, due to courier negligence, but the seller is willing to pay for the repair, and she has, and Im kind of done with the whole finding an amp, atleast for the next few years or once I've graduated and more financially capable

Thanks,

Irwan

Unless you really want to pay about £495 for the IRDac2 I would simply buy the original as its bound to plummet in price soon.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Arund about that price I would consider the NJC DAC: http://www.njc-audio.co.uk/html/referencedac.html

Made made in Cornwell. I know someone who has one, he's very pleased with it. 3 year warranty. No doubt you can try it out, if no good then return for a refund.

Another one : https://sites.google.com/site/jkciunas/purchase

About £500 inc. postage with 20 day trial period, its from Ireland so in Euros. This was regarded by several people to be the best DAC under £1,000 on another hifi forum which does far more testing and debating of such items than on here.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
rainsoothe said:

+1 for the MyDac or the OP could buy the MyAmp (with in-built ESS Sabre hyperstream DAC, quality headphone amplifier and Bluetooth) and ditch his 6004.

Highly regarded and a super neat solution with his concepts.

They apparently used this little thing to drive Focal's High End Stand Mount to good effect in Munich.

Actually, getting carried away this little lot could make a super cool, great sounding and wife pleasing hifi;

MyAmp + MyGroove+Chromecast Audio+Project Genie Carbon+Usher S520 (or QAcoustic Concept 20 as per OP).

Luvely

No real hifi system is complete without a good turntable.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Beresford Caiman Mk II is the correct answer.

As well as being a top class DAC and headphone amp, you will get top class service from Stan Beresford too.

Hey guys, So I heard back from the Marantz Service Agent, and they told me that the repair is going to cost alot more than predicted, so I spoke to my seller, and she told me to just keep it, she'll send me the refund. I guess, I'm now on the look out for another Amplifier. I brought my speakers to a showroom, and they put it up with the Rotel RA-1570 and It was amazing, the only thing I would complain, is the highs are a bit too high, and it really stood out. I took a course in Mixing, and Mastering at SAE for a few months, so although, my hearing may not be as good as to those who are professionals, but I can definitely pick out the slightest change in frequency. I prefer, a warm, detailed low end percission, I prefer quality over quantity, and since, I can't seem to find it, elsewhere, I've decided to build my own set up. As close as I can to what I think is the perfect sound, for the amount that I could actually afford. I thought that the Marantz PM6005 suited my listening better. I assume, if I got the Pm6004, and a DAC later. It would have a better Sound Quality than the Pm6005. But sadly, that won't happen now. I guess, I'll increase my search to up to £400 or £450. For a new amp, + dac. or a combination. Any suggestions?

Base of my research, I found the Naim Nait N5i, Arcam FMJ A19, Rega Brio R, or maybe if I save up for another month or so, one of the Roksan Kandy. What do you guys think?

Thanks for helping me out,

Irwan

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Irwan Kasman said:
Hey guys, So I heard back from the Marantz Service Agent, and they told me that the repair is going to cost alot more than predicted, so I spoke to my seller, and she told me to just keep it, she'll send me the refund. I guess, I'm now on the look out for another Amplifier. I brought my speakers to a showroom, and they put it up with the Rotel RA-1570 and It was amazing, the only thing I would complain, is the highs are a bit too high, and it really stood out. I took a course in Mixing, and Mastering at SAE for a few months, so although, my hearing may not be as good as to those who are professionals, but I can definitely pick out the slightest change in frequency. I prefer, a warm, detailed low end percission, I prefer quality over quantity, and since, I can't seem to find it, elsewhere, I've decided to build my own set up. As close as I can to what I think is the perfect sound, for the amount that I could actually afford. I thought that the Marantz PM6005 suited my listening better. I assume, if I got the Pm6004, and a DAC later. It would have a better Sound Quality than the Pm6005. But sadly, that won't happen now. I guess, I'll increase my search to up to £400 or £450. For a new amp, + dac. or a combination. Any suggestions?

Base of my research, I found the Naim Nait N5i, Arcam FMJ A19, Rega Brio R, or maybe if I save up for another month or so, one of the Roksan Kandy. What do you guys think?

Thanks for helping me out,

Irwan

My short list would be Abrahamsen, Creek 50A, Croft Integrated and Marantz 8004. These are all around £600-£800 new, I think. I heard the RK Kandy K2 twice, did not rate it. Yes Rotels do have rep for being a bit sharp.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If you really want a cheap DAC just research the best founding minidisc players which take digital inputs. They can be picked up for beer money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts