Dac/Streamer for Sugden IA-4/HA-4...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there

I’m hoping some of you knowledgeable folk may be able to
help me out. My current set-up is Sugden IA-4 running into Proac Response D-25s
and Sugden HA-4 running into Denon D7000/Grado GS1000. Source is a pair of
modified Technics 1210s through a Pioneer DJM-700 mixer (soon to be DJM-T1).

I’d very much like to listen to my mp3/FLAC collection
(on NAS) through the Sugdens and so am looking for a one-box DAC/Streamer that
will match well with them. The one box thing rules out SBT/Sonos + Rega
DAC/M-DAC while the requirement to keep my current amps rules out amp/streamer
products such as Naim/Cyrus.

I’m hoping someone may have some ideas re products that I
should look to demo. Budget is around £1000. I have seen a recent Chord product
(Chordette Index) but can’t seem to find any reviews on the web (the WHF video
review hangs while loading) and can’t seem to find much else that would be
suitable. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place hence my post here!

Thanks in advance for any views / suggestions.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Chordette Index is too new for there to have been any reviews. It does look cute though.

The market is currently burgeoning with network players / streamers so you may be spoilt for choice.

Cno's suggestion of the Sneaky is a good one (you could have had one for £765 with the SuperFi 10% off offer).

You could also take a look at the Yamaha NPS2000 (for £599) which has XLR balanced outputs which will mate with your IA4 amp. This used to be £1420!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
The Chordette Index is too new for there to have been any reviews. It does look cute though.

The market is currently burgeoning with network players / streamers so you may be spoilt for choice.

Cno's suggestion of the Sneaky is a good one (you could have had one for £765 with the SuperFi 10% off offer).

You could also take a look at the Yamaha NPS2000 (for £599) which has XLR balanced outputs which will mate with your IA4 amp. This used to be £1420!

I forgot about the NPS2000, which at that money has to be on your list.

That's also the cheapest I've seen the Sneaky....good find.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions guys, in particular the Yamaha looks really good VFM at that price plus the build would sit well with the sugdens.

Also while trying to find some reviews of both the sneaky and the yamaha, I have stumbled across Cno's Streamer League Table post which is really useful as well.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>am looking for a one-box DAC/Streamer that will match well with them<

Under £1000, a Squeezebox Transporter in silver would be a good one, balanced outputs on XLR too. They pop-up on t'Bay now and then for £700ish

Given the rest of your kit, I'd look at upping the budget to Linn Majik DS, they go on Ebay for about £1200.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Just re-reading you initial post ... you say your one box criterion rules out the SBT ... well ... if you don't use an external DAC and your NAS is able to run the Logitech Media Server, you should be OK. Many here will testify that adding a DAC to an SBT doesn't make that much difference if any. I suppose you might have to weigh up whether putting a £150/£200 streamer into a £4000 amp makes sense, but it's worth a try at that price. If you feel the need for a DAC, there are some high quality smaller DACs appearing that you can hide out of sight ... e.g.Wyred4 Sound uDAC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts