Dac recommendations

PaulX101

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Hi, Im looking to buy a Dac but am unsure what to buy & if I really need one. I have many many hi res recordings & DSD recordings & I stream them through a Pioneer VSX 924 but the DSD files are always converted to PCM, If I put a SACD disc in, the pioneer outputs DSD, I have tried burning the DSD files to a DVD but it still converts them to PCM. This has been puzzling me for some time now and i have given up trying to fathom it out.

Will a dedicated Dac allow the pioneer to output DSD files without coverting to PCM. If so any recomendations, I was told when I puchased the amp that it had a pretty good Dac, an ess sabre premium, so obviously i would prefer one better than what I currently have in the amp but I am on a fairly tight budget.

I have just ordered an Astell & Kern jr hi res music player which is also a Dac apparantly, how good is the dac in that,

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Check the audio settings in the menu of both components, my sony blu ray player was only outputting pcm but i changed it in the sound menu to dsd direct output

woodbino

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
They will all sound the same anyway.

You know there is little to no difference between DACs. There was a really good abx test between various DACs ranging from a realtek from a computer motherboard to some £10000 monstrosity. No one could tell one from another.

I know I will get burnt at the stake for saying this.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
woodbino said:
I know I will get burnt at the stake for saying this.

You won't from me, even thoght I disagree.

My advice to the OP, is never buy with somebody else's ears....so try some altenatives. Chord seems to get a lot of love.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts