DAC & preamp advice with turntable.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I currently have a set of Dynaudio BM5A mk2 speakers connected to my computer via an Arcam rDAC and a separate volume control that I got off ebay for £30.

As it stands, this setup (I think) does not allow me to integrate a turntable, which I would like for playing old Vinyls in the attic (the Arcam r-DAC doesn't have the sufficient phono input for connecting to the Pro-Ject Debut 3 Turntable).

I'm considering purchasing a DAC that incorperates a preamp and a volume control, all built in as one (to simplify the chain, ease-up on lose cables, and also to allow for the use of a turntable).

So my questions are:

1) Do I require a DAC with a *BUILT-IN PREAMP* in order to power this Pro-Ject Debut 3 Turntable, or will my active speakers act as a preamp (potentially a stupid question).

2) Can you recommend any decent DAC's with built-in preamp & volume control around the £300-£400 price range?

Thanks,
Will

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
What you need is an audio interface, preferably one that can work in standalone mode.

Something like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 would be fine if using your Pc, but if you only wanted to use the TT on its own, then the Roland Duo Capture EX would be better.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to montion I'll need an Optical Out for my PS3, and I'll need to be able to easily toggle between vinyl, USB (comp) and Optical out (ps3).

TRENDING THREADS