DAC options

phab

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone, :wave:

Hoping you might be able to help. I am putting together a fairly serious (for me anyway!) stereo setup for a new living room and need some pointers on DACS etc. The main source of this system will be a SONOS ZP90 fed with as higher bitrate audio as I can find. I have already bought a Meridian 557 Power amp to drive a pair of B&W XT4s. I want to feed the amp using the XLRs from a DAC in between the Sonos and the 557. Currently looking at two options - Audiolab 8200CDQ and the Audiolab MDAC. Both have XLR etc and variable digital outputs so fit the bill. Question is whether Im going to merit from spending the extra cash on the CDQ or whether the MDAC is good enough (obviously I lose the CD deck side of things). Or perhaps the MDAC isnt good enough for the rest of the setup and I should be looking for a higher quality DAC. I know the speakers are 'style' orientated but that was unavoidable and Im hoping they are going to be pretty decent nonetheless.

Anyway, any pointers would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance! ;)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello and welcome to the fun!

This is purely by way of information and not a recommendation. John Westlake, the designer of the MDAC, has been doing upgrades to the original model (via the PFM audio forum).These upgrades have been the prelude to the design of a successor model, the MDAC2, which will be sold under John W.'s own Lakewest brand, probably in the spring. Details of the upgrades are here: http://mdac.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

It's also possible to get the Sonos ZP90 upgraded by Fidelity Audio in Doncaster (I'm presuming you're based in the UK). Details here: http://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/upgrades/sonos/sonos-zp80-zp90-connect-2/.

:cheers:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Greetings........ :wave:

I concur with matt that the Connect upgrade he mentions is very positive and can add that the W4S mod (Cullen) is a great option too. I have auditioned this a think it worthwhile, it is available here......

http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php/digital-audio-sources/modified-audio-computers/sonos-connect-modification.html

On the other hand I have never really warmed to the M-Dac, it's reputation is too good to ignore but if I was putting together a system at this level, I would be looking at the Benchmark here.....

http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php?category_id=&page=shop.browse&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73&keyword1=benchmark&search_op=and&keyword2=&search_category=21&search_limiter=name&search=Search

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
I concur with matt that the Connect upgrade he mentions is very positive and can add that the W4S mod (Cullen) is a great option too. I have auditioned this a think it worthwhile, it is available here......

http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php/digital-audio-sources/modified-audio-computers/sonos-connect-modification.html

I also have a Wyred4Sound modded Sonos Connect. One day soon I'll compare it with the Fidelity Audio modded ZP90.

One point of detail though (Dave will like this, as he knows I'm a stickler for pedantic detail), the W4S mod from Item Audio is only available on new Sonos Connect units, whereas the Fidelity Audio mods can be retrofitted to old ZP90 units (or at least they could, when I had mine done earlier this year).

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The M-DAC beats the CDQ for SQ. I drive my power amp via XLRs from my (unmod'd) M-DAC so use the DAC to control volume - I don't own a preamp anymore. Some peeps don't like the idea of digital volume but the internal processing is done wirh 32 bit resolution - including volume. The perceived problem with controlling volume digitally is that the noise floor isn't attenuated along with the music so the signal to noise ratio climbs (slightly) with decreasing volume but does this matter at low volumes? I say no! Some still swear that they get a more dynamic sound with a fixed output into a preamp. The only difference between the M-DAC's variable volume & fixed is the latter is fixed at 0dB - the signal path is the same!

Although the plain vanilla M-DAC is very good for £599, I heard NAD's M51 DAC (£1500) in my own system - it made the M-DAC sound primative by comparison: more detail, much better bass & no hint of harshness in comparison but still manages to sound equally punchy. It also out-images the M-DAC with ease. It will also control volume, do hi-res over HDMI & 24/192 over USB & has XLR outs. It is itself a bargain at its price point

As for me, once John W has put the M-DAC2 into production, I'll go for the PCB-only option & fit it into my existing M-DAC myself - hopefully by next spring or summer!

phab

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Guys thanks so much for such speedy replies!! A lot of food for thought. At the end of the day I think im going to be slightly limited by the XT4s in terms of out and out sound reproduction so there needs to be a plateau somewhere. Must admit the 'upgradability' of the M Dac and ZP90 does make them very appealing. Perhaps I will go down that route to begin with and see if Im happy or not and take it from there. The NAD is pushing the budget although I too have heard very very good reports. Might see if I can find one used.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm selling an Audiolab 8200CDQ if you're interested:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141091380146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Will.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

I also have a Wyred4Sound modded Sonos Connect. One day soon I'll compare it with the Fidelity Audio modded ZP90.

One point of detail though (Dave will like this, as he knows I'm a stickler for pedantic detail), the W4S mod from Item Audio is only available on new Sonos Connect units, whereas the Fidelity Audio mods can be retrofitted to old ZP90 units (or at least they could, when I had mine done earlier this year).

The Cullen/W4S has been around for a long time and is available for all models back to the ZP80.

If there is an issue fitting the mods to the older units then this is a policy of the importer, Item Audio. I have only ever had the briefest of contacts with them, they were ver helpful and put me in touch with a dealer with a modded unit who kindly let me try it.

I have also spoken at some length (via email) to the guys at W4S who were tremendously helpful, whilst they obviously want to support their agent, they said that fitting the mod was simple and could be done by any compedent technician.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Cullen/W4S has been around for a long time and is available for all models back to the ZP80.

If there is an issue fitting the mods to the older units then this is a policy of the importer, Item Audio. I have only ever had the briefest of contacts with them, they were ver helpful and put me in touch with a dealer with a modded unit who kindly let me try it.

I have also spoken at some length (via email) to the guys at W4S who were tremendously helpful, whilst they obviously want to support their agent, they said that fitting the mod was simple and could be done by any compedent technician.

Quite right, dave.

Pedants of the world unite!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

Quite right, dave.

Pedants of the world unite!

A bit early I know, but have you any impression of the onboard digital processing of the Dev?

Another thought that has been bothering me is the suggestion that I read somewhere, that Devialet are working on getting onboard support for streaming solutions such as Spotify. Having gone to the trouble of building their own onboard Ogg Vorbis codec it strikes me as logical.

Have you heard anything about this or was I imagining it....... :?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
A bit early I know, but have you any impression of the onboard digital processing of the Dev?

Another thought that has been bothering me is the suggestion that I read somewhere, that Devialet are working on getting onboard support for streaming solutions such as Spotify. Having gone to the trouble of building their own onboard Ogg Vorbis codec it strikes me as logical.

Have you heard anything about this or was I imagining it....... :?

I'll reply on the Devialet thread!

phab

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Any opinions on the Cyrus DACs? Bit outdated or still up there with the best? DAC XP+ etc.....NAD M51 is stretching the budget to breaking point but could push to a bit more than teh MDAC if its worth it.....would love to hear opinions...thanks!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
phab said:
Any opinions on the Cyrus DACs? Bit outdated or still up there with the best? DAC XP+ etc.....NAD M51 is stretching the budget to breaking point but could push to a bit more than teh MDAC if its worth it.....would love to hear opinions...thanks!

At this price level you are primarily choosing between the 'voicing' of different dacs, ie their house sound or the specific effect that the designer was looking for.

With your proposed amp and speakers you already have plenty of 'character' adding more might just add up to a mess, just trying out DACs at random to see what might suit your system is entirely pot luck. You will need patience.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I demoed a CDQ and thought it was a bit flat dynamically and had a slight hardness in the treble, not sure if this would be a similar trait with the MDac.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts