DAC Listening experience

Eugene

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
I am currently using a Sonos Connect attached to my Exposure Amplifier connect to Linn Ninka speakers. I was hinted the possibility of updating my sound quality by adding a DAC in between the Connect and the amp. I search long time on internet, read a lot of reviews and concluded that the Arcam irDAC should be my choice. Very good reviews and also positive statements of users when adding this DAC to their Connect.

So I went to the dealer last week, and borrowed one to try at home. He expected a ‘wow effect’ for me, even without adding quality cable but just the ones that are supplied standard with the irDAC.

So went home, connected everything and was anxious to hear the improvement in sound. And I heard….. NOTHING! No difference whatsoever. I had both connection of the Connect directly to my amp, and via the DAC, and could in the midst of a song easily switch with my amps input selector. But it gave me exactly the same sound. You may expect a different sound, better or worse (and may be a matter of taste) but to hear NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL was very disappointing for me. I was wandering if I made a connection error, therewith passing by the DAC, but that was not the case. I experimented with the Digital Coax and optical cable, but no difference: nothing. For me hard to understand as reviews said the irDAC is top in sound. A small difference (for better or for worse) may not have the value of the DAC, but still there is some difference…..

Now, I went back to the dealer and explained. He connect the DAC to the Connect in his store and let me hear the difference. He said he could hear some improvements in the midrange (which would be even marginal compared to the promise), but I could not hear it. He came to the conclusion that my ears would not be able to hear the difference (I am 58) but that seems unacceptable to me, as I can hear for example very clearly the difference between an MP3 file and a FLAC file.

No I am disappointed and looking for a way to improve my sound stage for my streaming music. Any thoughts? Or any similar experiences?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
This is quite a common experience I've seen a few people post about.

All competently designed DACs should measure flat and sound pretty similar. I noticed very little difference between a FiiO D03 and my Icon HDP, although the HDP gives me a lot of extra connections and functions that make it a worthwhile piece of kit for me.

I find my U-05 is an improvement over the Icon HDP, but it's really not that big a difference. Enough to make it worthwhile for me.

You could spend your money chasing relatively small gains to be made from more expensive DACs, but the biggest improvements will come from (1) upgrading your speakers and then (2) upgrading your amp to ensure it is a good match for your speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think you need to be aiming higher to get an appreciable difference. I took home a Chord Qute EX at one point to plug my Connect into instead of my Audiolab 8200AP doing the D/A conversion, and it (surprisingly) made compressed stuff from Napster sound much more like CD quality.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I had exactly the same experience, Sonos system and Rega Dac connected to the amplifier. I was able to switch between Sonos and Rega by changing inputs on the amplifier and could hear no difference at all. The Rega Dac went straight on ebay.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Clearly a case of if you didn't hear a difference, take it back and save your money. It's not really smoke and mirrors like the ridiculous claims made about 'HiFi' USB cables (etc), because obviously there is the potential for two DACs to sound different unless they're built from the exact same components. But if it's just not happened for you, get a refund and buy some more music. Or beer. Ideally both, to be enjoyed simultaneously.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
This is very common as people read reviews and rhink wow this dac is gonna change my system only to not hear a difference.
If you want to improve your system look at amps and speakers

skjetne

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Eugene said:
I am currently using a Sonos Connect attached to my Exposure Amplifier connect to Linn Ninka speakers. I was hinted the possibility of updating my sound quality by adding a DAC in between the Connect and the amp. I search long time on internet, read a lot of reviews and concluded that the Arcam irDAC should be my choice. Very good reviews and also positive statements of users when adding this DAC to their Connect.

I actually made a account just to comment to this.

First of all, buying a DAC when you're using a Sonos Connect is kind of useless. The connect it self is a DAC and not a very audiophile one at that. Sonos supports max 16bit sound, and most people that buys DAC is bc they want 24bit.

Your sound system is only as good as you weakest link, wich in this case is the sonos.
Cables are kind of snake juice as long as you stear away from the 5$ ones.

If you want a real difference I would have bought the airDAC from arcam and use the airplay feature which is lossless.

Note. This is all in my own opinion.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
skjetne said:
Sonos supports max 16bit sound, and most people that buys DAC is bc they want 24bit.

That's news to me. Considering how little 24 bit music there actually is out there I'd have to dispute this assertion. It's just that DAC manufacturers like to play the big numbers game as much as anyone else in addition to ensuring compatibility with the many standards out there (whether they be bitrates, sample rates, or DSD, etc.).

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
skjetne said:
Eugene said:

I actually made a account just to comment to this.

First of all, buying a DAC when you're using a Sonos Connect is kind of useless. The connect it self is a DAC and not a very audiophile one at that. Sonos supports max 16bit sound, and most people that buys DAC is bc they want 24bit.

Your sound system is only as good as you weakest link, wich in this case is the sonos. Cables are kind of snake juice as long as you stear away from the 5$ ones.?

If you want a real difference I would have bought the airDAC from arcam and use the airplay feature which is lossless.

Note. This is all in my own opinion.

And what a lot of ******** it is. Three points:

1) The Sonos connect provides a bit-perfect output. This is a proven fact, there's no point trying to deny it.

2) 16-bit audio is all that's required, 24-bit does not add anything that can't be achieved in 16-bits.

3) if the dac in the connect is so poor then surely bypassing it by using the digital output into an external dac is a GOOD idea? But you seem to be saying not to bother because you won't hear any difference, which surely means that the dac in the connect is as good as any other? You seem to be contradicting yourself?

Wasn't really worth creating your account for from what I can tell...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts