DAC linear power suppy

Bigun

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
After recently dipping my toes into the world of DAC and purchasing a secondhand Fireaudio Spitfire Mk2. Which I am so very very impressed with, cant remember listening to this much music for years and years.

I am interested in upgrading the power supply, but I have a few questions.

1. Will upgrading the PS make that difference or should I just invest in a new wall wart? The 1 supplied is a terribble 2 pin affair that is currently running through a shaver adapter.

2. If a new PS is the way forward, can anyone recomend a supply that doesnt require me to sell a kidney! I didnt spend an awful lot on the DAc s dont want to spend a fortune on a new PS.

3. Am i chasing snake oli here and would I be better off, flipping the Spitfire and buying a better DAC?

I'm open to any suggestions but am enjoying the sound this little box produces so much, if the answer is keep the crappy supply a new 1 wont make any difference then happy days,

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
9 years ago I bought my first DAC, a Firestone Audio 'FUBAR' USB DAC, that I used between a laptop and an old Arcam Solo-Mini.

A little while later my wife bought me a Firestone Audio 'Supplier' PSU to replace the wall-wart.

I am sure that the company who sold you the Spitfire could supply a Supplier.

My old kit looked like this but I am sure they still make the PSU ...

670259-firestone_audio_fubar_ii_usb_dac_the_supplier_20v_dc_power_supply.jpg

Gray

'Experts' will give you technical reasons why you shouldn't bother changing from switched mode to linear PSUs. Others will tell you it's the best thing they've ever done!

I can only say that I've fed a decent little DAC with DC from a battery (the cleanest supply you can get), from a switched mode supply and from a linear supply - and heard no noticeable difference.

Why not experiment? Give it a clean DC supply (from say a powerbank if your DAC requires 5v, or car battery if it's 12v) and compare with the one you've been using.

I reckon you'll find no difference. Even if you change the DAC itself you'll probably only notice subtle difference(s) (not necessarily for the better)

But only you can judge. The answer may be the same as ever: be content with what you've got. (Sounds like you are).

Bigun

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about the late reply, been away and for som ereason I cant post on here from my iPad :/

Thanks for all your feedback and yes I think I will just enjoy what Ive got for now :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts