Dac for TV sound.

The Sony tv I have doesn’t have an stereo outputs, so at the moment I’m using the headphone out into my amp, which isn’t really ideal. Is there a decent dac out there that wound give me better sound just for the tv? I don really need one for anything else

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Pedro said:
Fiio D3 (optical and coax in)

About £25 inc shipping. I have installed a couple for exactly this purpose, unless you have some special or unusual requirement, this will be fine, no need to spend more.

rainsoothe

Care with optical outs if you watch Netflix, on my (admittedly old) Panasonic plasma, the sound is gibberish if I play Netflix from the TV app. Have to use a laptop with HDMI into the TV, which then goes optical into the Naim. I don't know if it's the app, but some talks on forums say it has something to do with Netflix anty-piracy stuff.

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I guess it most be some software issue.

HDMI has an anti piracy protocol that can be built into several devices (HDCP).

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Another vote for the Fiio D03k. Mine was £21.99 from Amazon.

Small box, easy to hide behind TV, and can be powered via a spare usb port on the TV.

rainsoothe

Pedro said:
I guess it most be some software issue.

HDMI has an anti piracy protocol that can be built into several devices (HDCP).

Which is probably why it is in conflict with optical transmission. Probably the HDMI protocol only allows stuff in a HDMI chain, or at least it so does in the TV (soft or hardware)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts