DAC comparisons

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
The test I described is in order to answer a simple question.

Does a hi-res master sound better than the same master at CD standard?

Using the method described earlier, the only difference is the resolution, so it gives an oportunity for real comparisons to be made.

The really sad thing that I have found is that the extra resolution has no discernable effect on sound quality, those superbly mastered Linn hi-res recordings sound just as good at CD standard (downsampled from 24/96) as they do at 24/96. That means to me is that all CD standard recordings could be this good, if the music business could be bothered, but sadly they can't.

This is true. The CD format could be very good indeed, as well as Linn there are some very reputable labels but these tend to concentrate on specific genres and are maybe not for everyone. I have had some pretty dire recordings on CD in the past which has pushed me to seek the album in different formats normally SACD or digital downloads.

In theory recordings at CD quality should be all you ever need but quite often this is not the case.

I totaly agree with what you and dave has just said but then is it not good to have a dac that can do dsd then?

Seems the quality could be better Not that a good recording on cd can also sound just as good.

My opinion is you'd get a DSD capable DAC if you ever think you are going to get any files in this format which, according to as Ken Ishwata is 'analogue' or like the idea of 1 bit formats.

CD s are not 'pressed' as such and I don't believe it makes any difference where they are made simply the actual re / master they use in the production varies throughout the world.

For me, seeing the way things are going, buying a DAC that isn't DSD capable could be a mistake.

Yes pressed was the wrong word. I meant the master was different not the actual cd quality.

I was looking at HDTracks a while ago but many of the albums had sold out on most formats but some were available as DSD downloads and the prices were reasonable at around £12-£14. So best to have the option of playing those.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
BigH said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
The test I described is in order to answer a simple question.

Does a hi-res master sound better than the same master at CD standard?

Using the method described earlier, the only difference is the resolution, so it gives an oportunity for real comparisons to be made.

The really sad thing that I have found is that the extra resolution has no discernable effect on sound quality, those superbly mastered Linn hi-res recordings sound just as good at CD standard (downsampled from 24/96) as they do at 24/96. That means to me is that all CD standard recordings could be this good, if the music business could be bothered, but sadly they can't.

This is true. The CD format could be very good indeed, as well as Linn there are some very reputable labels but these tend to concentrate on specific genres and are maybe not for everyone. I have had some pretty dire recordings on CD in the past which has pushed me to seek the album in different formats normally SACD or digital downloads.

In theory recordings at CD quality should be all you ever need but quite often this is not the case.

I totaly agree with what you and dave has just said but then is it not good to have a dac that can do dsd then?

Seems the quality could be better Not that a good recording on cd can also sound just as good.

My opinion is you'd get a DSD capable DAC if you ever think you are going to get any files in this format which, according to as Ken Ishwata is 'analogue' or like the idea of 1 bit formats. 

CD s are not 'pressed' as such and I don't believe it makes any difference where they are made simply the actual re / master they use in the production varies throughout the world.

For me, seeing the way things are going, buying a DAC that isn't DSD capable could be a mistake.

Yes pressed was the wrong word. I meant the master was different not the actual cd quality.

I was looking at HDTracks a while ago but many of the albums had sold out on most formats but some were available as DSD downloads and the prices were reasonable at around £12-£14. So best to have the option of playing those. 

Mixing dsd and flac on random play can produce popping sounds on certain dacs - i read this on the internet have not experienced it myself though

TRENDING THREADS