Dac comparison question

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now buying a Dac so far ive demoed the beresford 7510 mk6/4 and the Dacmagic the Dacmagic has got my vote so far not that i didnt like the beresford just what i preferred! But ive seen a second hand cyrus dac x for £600 is it worth the £600? and is it worth the extra over the dacmagic i cant demo it with my setup so would be a bit of a blind purchase anyone compared/heard these? Thanks

A

Anonymous

HiFi Choice recently reviewed the Beresford amongst the DscMagic, Cyrus, and others, and include their opinions in that issue about how big or small the differences are.

A

Anonymous

I'd also demo the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. It's transformed my system with its sheer musicality, but note that if pace and a lively presentation are for you, the Dacmagic might be a touch better. The German magazine I've quoted before, Audio, rated the v-dac above the dacmagic.

T

the record spot

Add to that the Stello Signature DAC which was around £650 and apprently superb (that price was pre-credit crunch price rises so double check). In addition, The Midlands Audio Exchange has a Theta Digital Pro Basic II with Trichord mods for £599. That's probably a used item but had an RRP of just under £3000. That might cause a bit of an imbalance if it only serves to show up shortcomings everywhere else, but it might be fun to try it out!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Eddie Pound:HiFi Choice recently reviewed the Beresford amongst the DscMagic, Cyrus, and others, and include their opinions in that issue about how big or small the differences are.

Eddie forgot to mention that the DacMagic went on to receive, not DAC of the year but Hifi product of the year with HiFi Choice. Obviously the Cyrus and Benchmark mentioned are going to be better than the DM but I doubt if they are three times better and they cost three times more. Similarly, the DM won't be twice as good as the Beresford. It's about spending what is right for you.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone tried the musical fidelity x dac v3? Thanks

A

Anonymous

Well ive seen second hand around 300 how much were they? Wondering if they worth a go at that money!

John Duncan

That's a bit dear, as it was only £400 to begin with. Has a lovely organic sound though (from a valve output stage, IIRC), but then I like the MF sound very much indeed anyway. Beautifully built as well, and there's an add-on power supply to replace the minging wall-wart.

Just a quick look tells me that the last one went on eBay for less than 250....

Review here

Edit - flexibility a bit rubbish though, only one input really.......

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
flairdj:Now buying a Dac so far ive demoed the beresford 7510 mk6/4 and the Dacmagic the Dacmagic has got my vote so far not that i didnt like the beresford just what i preferred! But ive seen a second hand cyrus dac x for £600 is it worth the £600? and is it worth the extra over the dacmagic i cant demo it with my setup so would be a bit of a blind purchase anyone compared/heard these? Thanks

I just noticed this thread and thought I add my 2 pence worth. I Have heard both the dacmagic and the DAC X , better still I directly compared them through a musical fidelity X can and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones.

The difference between the two was IME quite big. The Dacmagic is good value for money, but IME the DAC X is in an entirally different league. Much, much more detailed, clear, punchy sound. The greatest difference between the two is that the DAC X sounds more 'rounded' or 'hifi', it sounds pleasent and gives the impression of there being space between notes and different instruments. To my ears the dacmagic has a more an energetic, upfront and congested sound.

Let me put it this way: if I could get the dac X for around 600 euros here in Holland I'd probably buy it.

A

Anonymous

"The greatest difference between the two is that the DAC X sounds more
'rounded' or 'hifi', it sounds pleasent and gives the impression of
there being space between notes and different instruments."

Did you listen to the Musical Fidelity v-dac? It's very much as you describe.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Tarquinh:
"The greatest difference between the two is that the DAC X sounds more
'rounded' or 'hifi', it sounds pleasent and gives the impression of
there being space between notes and different instruments."

Did you listen to the Musical Fidelity v-dac? It's very much as you describe.

I used the musical fidelity X-Can v3 as an amp; haven't been listenening to the v-dac yet. Did you compare the v-dac with the Cyrus dac x ?

A

Anonymous

No, it's out of my league, I'm afraid. It's just that your description matched what I've been thinking about the v-dac, though perhaps not the punchy part.

A

Anonymous

flairdj, have you actually listened to the beresford and dacmagic?

These are decent DACs but I am not sure what sort of benefit you are going to get over the onkyo's built in DAC - maybe somebody can comment on this?

I think the DAC X would be total overkill if you intend to use an av receiver to drive your speakers - I think that the benefit of the DAC X would not be revealed by the Onkyo.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Grimaldi:flairdj, have you actually listened to the beresford and dacmagic?

These are decent DACs but I am not sure what sort of benefit you are going to get over the onkyo's built in DAC - maybe somebody can comment on this?

I think the DAC X would be total overkill if you intend to use an av receiver to drive your speakers - I think that the benefit of the DAC X would not be revealed by the Onkyo.

I can comment; a big gain over the internal DAC in the Onkyo. However, I don't see the point on spending out on an external DAC to use with an AV receiver, unless you went high end and then the internal DAC probably would be good enough.

A

Anonymous

Hi yes i did listen to both and as gerrardasnails said there is quite a big difference in the sound im actually upgrading piece by piece and want a dac that will be good enough to suit my system as it grows im borrowing a Primare I30 off a friend at the minute which i love and will eventually be buying something like that my front speakers are also soon going to be either monitor audio gs20 or 60's to go with the other speakers i bought a couple of weeks ago. So Dac wise favourite so far Dacmagic or after much hunting ive found the musical fideilty dac x v3 for £250 second hand or the Cyrus dac x for £550 unsure what way to go! Appreciate everyones advice!

A

Anonymous

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. DACs.

Your speakers deserve and would suit other DACs more than either the B or the DM.

The DACX is what you should be buying for £550. The Stello Signature is better for £650, I had one a couple of weeks ago and I'm considering swapping my Benchmark for it. Though I may need to borrow it again first.

More importantly though, are you planning to use the Onky with a £1000+ DAC? I'd suggest you look into a suitable 2 channel amp before you consider such luxuries.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Well the only reason i was getting my dac first is so atleast its there when i get my 2 channel amp and i wont be itching for a few months. Ok well ill have a look in to the stello signautre, the only reason i was thinking of the musical fidelity xdac v3 is because i heard you can upgrade it a lot power supply etc but even after that it wouldnt be better than something like the cyrus or stello?

A

Anonymous

Personally I would get the Cyrus at £550. Otherwise the Stello Sig.

A

Anonymous

It is a bargain at £550. The Stello is more of a match if you are planning to use it with your Onkyo but both of them are very forward and revealing. I've had the Stello here recently but it's been a while since I heard the DAC-X, different systems too. I'd say try and listen to them but I know how hard it is to get a demo so I'll say buy what your preference is and you won't be disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts