Question Dac and Ohm questions

Theman222

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Hello there! I have a 1570c from monolith that I love very much and was confused by the spec sheet. Dacs/Amps are kinda also confusing when it comes to power. So I have a few dacs one being the Fiio q3 and the other being the ifi Go Bar.

The spec sheet for the 1570c says it has a 97db/mw while it also states the optimum power being 4-200mw. Its also 60ohms. So what number am I using here to ensure I can power these things? Is it 97mw at 60ohm or 200mw at 60ohm?! Is my dac rated at 32ohm at 300mw powerful enough?

Thank you

Welcome!

Headphone matching is an arcane pastime in my experience, but the great thing is, unless you are really daft, it’s dead easy just to plug them in and try. And you won’t break either amp or phones.

Start with volume low - obviously - and you should have plenty of power with your DAC. The maximum power from your DAC/amp looks like more than enough. The only issue might be too much gain, if you find that prefer listening with the volume near its minimum. That makes it tricky to adjust. Ideally you want somewhere in the middle range, or 12 o’clock if it’s an old-fashioned knob.

Have you tried them yet?

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Theman222

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Welcome!

Headphone matching is an arcane pastime in my experience, but the great thing is, unless you are really daft, it’s dead easy just to plug them in and try. And you won’t break either amp or phones.

Start with volume low - obviously - and you should have plenty of power with your DAC. The maximum power from your DAC/amp looks like more than enough. The only issue might be too much gain, if you find that prefer listening with the volume near its minimum. That makes it tricky to adjust. Ideally you want somewhere in the middle range, or 12 o’clock if it’s an old-fashioned knob.

Have you tried them yet?
I tried my ifi go bar and its nice and loud, didnt need to apply any gain to reach 100+db. However my fiio q3 is coming in and its alil less powerful unless I use a balanced cable. Ill test them tomorrow to ensure it works. I honestly cant stand using EQs and got a Q3 to add the bass I need. I found my ifi xBass to super duper lack in lowest range. I hear fiio adds 6 db of bass to the mix without affecting mids and highs so I thought it could work. Its just so confusing with all these numbers! Like is this headphone 97mw or 200mw?

Gray

Its just so confusing with all these numbers! Like is this headphone 97mw or 200mw?
The headphone itself is neither of those figures as such.
It's just a sensitivity figure of 97dB for 1mW and maybe a suggestion of 200mW as 'optimum'.
Don't get bogged down with the figures - most headphone amps will comfortably go more than loud enough to damage your hearing (especially ones as expensive as the ifi model you mentioned).

The reason @nopiano asked if you'd tried them is because, regardless of the quoted figures, it's the best way for you to judge what works.

Theman222

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
The headphone itself is neither of those figures as such.
It's just a sensitivity figure of 97dB for 1mW and maybe a suggestion of 200mW as 'optimum'.
Don't get bogged down with the figures - most headphone amps will comfortably go more than loud enough to damage your hearing (especially ones as expensive as the ifi model you mentioned).

The reason @nopiano asked if you'd tried them is because, regardless of the quoted figures, it's the best way for you to judge what works.
So if it sounds good who cares kinda basis? I like it. I will test my q3 and ifi and see what I prefer and live a comfy life then. Thanks to you both and merry christmas!

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts