DAC and cables

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Dont want to hijack Socal1's thread so hope its ok to start another
Can someone please explain to me about how the DACs work and the best way to connect?
I will be connecting a Marantz CD6007 CD player to a Cambridge Audio CLX81 and am totally confused as to how to connect so as to experiment using the DACs on the CD / Amp? I am not sure what cables I will need ie RCA to RCA or Optical?
Sorry if its a daft question!

manicm

Get a coaxial digital cable and connect it to your CX81 if you want to bypass the CD6007's DAC. If you just want a straightforward connection simply hook up them via RCA.

Compare the sound between the two connections, and keep the one that sounds better to you. One more connection to try - optical.

Reactions: doifeellucky

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Thanks - so if I choose the digital out (either as Coax or as optical) on the cd will this effectively bypass the DAC on the CD and use the amps DAC?
Generally how would you expect the sound to be affected by optical /coax?

Thanks - so if I choose the digital out (either as Coax or as optical) on the cd will this effectively bypass the DAC on the CD and use the amps DAC?
Generally how would you expect the sound to be affected by optical /coax?
Yes to your first question.
As to your last one perhaps you can tell us as the sound will not be affected by the cables but more so by the DAC that is actually converting the signal.
You are in the lucky position to try both for yourself and see which you prefer

Reactions: shadders

Loverobot

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
Ok so reporting back
There are real differences between the DAC on the CD and the amp
The CD is better for separation and suits to my ear more electronic sounds
The Cambridge DAC suits less broad recordings - so for example old recordings of Sam Cooke where it seems to add warmth and is more pleasant to listen to
No difference between Digital Coax and optical to my ears
I realise very subjective of course but hope helps someone out there

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts