DAC/amp for Genelecs

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is NuForce Icon-2 good for a pair of Genelec 8020B's and a 7050B subwoofer? Is there any better alternatives (that cost about the same or less)?

A

Anonymous

The Genelecs are active so I would go for the superior HDP instead of the Icon-2 - you don't need the (power) amp of the Icon.

It really depends what you need out of

a. usb connection

b. dac

c. preamp

You may be able to just make do with the nuforce udac2 or the HRT Streamer and use your computer's volume controls

A

Anonymous

Have you thought of the Matrix Mini-i http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-mini-i-24-192-balanced-dac-headphone-amp-black-p-192.html

Seems like something your looking for - preamp with dac and balanced outputs, so you could save some cash on microphone cables all the way!!!

I have the Genelecs 8040's and they work well with my avr - however since they are pro-equipment they like a higher output than you get from typical hifi or home surround gear - so just turn the gain up on the speakers a bit.

I've thought of getting an extra pair for my kitchen and just taping an Airport Express to the back of one them - and hooking them up with a minijack - xlr pro-cable - then you could use itunes, iphone or ipad as volume control (if you are going to use that anyway). :cheer:

A

Anonymous

I completely forgot to mention that I would also attach Sennheiser HD 598's to the device. I heard that Icon-2 has good headphone amp and that's the main reason for considering it.

And sorry for my bad English, I'm from Finland.

A

Anonymous

Again the Matrix Mini-i is basicly a headphone amp + dac + preamp with xlr-outputs

A

Anonymous

Another option is the Audinst HUD-MX1 usb converter / 24bit 96khz dac / headphone amp / preamp - which is very impressive for about £100 off ebay - check out the reviews

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts