DAC advice for a vintage system

lex365

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been into hifi for around 20 years, but only really into vintage hifi for the past 6 months. I managed to pick up an immaculate Yamaha CA-410 and a pair of Quad 22L speakers and love both. I have a turntable but the vast majority of my listening is done streaming via Roon.

Previous amp was a Cambridge CXA60 and I have been using a Chromecast Audio via the digital out into the DAC in the amp. To complete my system I want a standalone DAC for the Chromecast.

Any recommendations for an older DAC in keeping with the rest of my system? Budget £100-150. There is a Meridian 203 Bitstream available nearby for £150 but I don't know if it will play 24/48 (the bulk of my Roon library). Other considerations were an Arcam rDAC or an early Cambridge DacMagic.

Thanks in advance!

Tinman1952

I have been into hifi for around 20 years, but only really into vintage hifi for the past 6 months. I managed to pick up an immaculate Yamaha CA-410 and a pair of Quad 22L speakers and love both. I have a turntable but the vast majority of my listening is done streaming via Roon.

Previous amp was a Cambridge CXA60 and I have been using a Chromecast Audio via the digital out into the DAC in the amp. To complete my system I want a standalone DAC for the Chromecast.

Any recommendations for an older DAC in keeping with the rest of my system? Budget £100-150. There is a Meridian 203 Bitstream available nearby for £150 but I don't know if it will play 24/48 (the bulk of my Roon library). Other considerations were an Arcam rDAC or an early Cambridge DacMagic.

Thanks in advance!
Hi. I would probably avoid the Meridian as it’s a bit ‘long in the tooth’ now. Personally I would go for the Arcam rDAC. Very well regarded when it came out. In fact What HiFi’s best DAC up to £400 in 2011 Awards. Nice sound from it‘s Wolfson DAC too.

bartrik

Jun 4, 2021
Visit site
I read very good things about this little device:

DAC + streamer and Roon ready.
The review stated that the streamer was very good and the DAC surprisingly decent.
I'm quite sure this will beat your Chromecast Audio (which I owned long ago).

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

I read very good things about this little device:

DAC + streamer and Roon ready.
The review stated that the streamer was very good and the DAC surprisingly decent.
I'm quite sure this will beat your Chromecast Audio (which I owned long ago).
That’s a brand I hadn't heard of but it looks an interesting little unit!
Products from Denmark are usually excellent…🙂

TRENDING THREADS