Question Cyrus6 SE

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
I have bought a second hand cyrus6 SE CD player. The sound quality is great. However many of my CDs track skip (small breaks in sound). The CDs appear to have no blemishes.
Questions: anyone experienced the same issue, any idea of possible causes and any suggested solutions? - Repair, replacement, upgrade, back to my trusty NAD?

Gray

I have bought a second hand cyrus6 SE CD player. The sound quality is great. However many of my CDs track skip (small breaks in sound). The CDs appear to have no blemishes.
Questions: anyone experienced the same issue, any idea of possible causes and any suggested solutions? - Repair, replacement, upgrade, back to my trusty NAD?
Hopefully it's not the reason the seller got rid of it.
First thing I would do would be to open it up and ensure the laser lens is perfectly clean.

Hopefully it's not the reason the seller got rid of it.
First thing I would do would be to open it up and ensure the laser lens is perfectly clean.
You should be able to do this with a laser cleaning disc rather than potentially damaging item by opening it up.
You might want to read this:-

I was going to mention a cleaning disc but some can be a bit crude and people have spoken of them being effective compared to manually cleaning.
If you don't think you're capable of opening the unit without doing any harm, then a cleaning disc would be your best option (certainly worth a try first).
Whilst I agree it may be necessary to open the box up it is not something I would prioritise for someone who has potential never done it before.
If the OP feels confident then fine but make sure you have cleaning fluid , ear buds or whatever is needed to clean the lens to hand first plus make sure the CD s that are causing the issue are thoroughly cleaned as well.
Note: some units make it incredibly difficult to actually get at the lens mechanism.

Reactions: Gray and Alto56

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
You should be able to do this with a laser cleaning disc rather than potentially damaging item by opening it up.
You might want to read this:-

Thanks again. Worth considering. It almost puts me into the realm where buying a new one is the sensible option. The sound quality is superb so I'm keen to stick with the brand.

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
I wouldn't take it apart if you plan on being able to return it - use a disc cleaner but return if it doesn't work. Take it apart and the seller could theoretically refuse a refund.
Yeah, I've just been musing over that. You saying it has helped confirm the way I'm going.

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to everyone by the way. This has all been very useful. My first post. I'm interested to see how it develops. Hoping disc cleaner works but don't feel hugely optimistic.

somegreatreward

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
I have had a Cyrus disc player for many years and after a few laser replacements, at a high price,. I now have given up on it doing it's job and replaced it with a Marantz. When it decided to play it was beautiful but has caused me so much frustration with " No Disc" messages and refusing to play tracks on a CD that I gave up and now live with a machine that sounds inferior. But at least it plays what I want when I want.

Reactions: Al ears

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
I have had a Cyrus disc player for many years and after a few laser replacements, at a high price,. I now have given up on it doing it's job and replaced it with a Marantz. When it decided to play it was beautiful but has caused me so much frustration with " No Disc" messages and refusing to play tracks on a CD that I gave up and now live with a machine that sounds inferior. But at least it plays what I want when I want.
Was that the laser replacement with upgrade, that Cyrus offer, or just the laser? I can see a theme developing here, not an unknown problem.

manicm

Whilst I agree it may be necessary to open the box up it is not something I would prioritise for someone who has potential never done it before.
If the OP feels confident then fine but make sure you have cleaning fluid , ear buds or whatever is needed to clean the lens to hand first plus make sure the CD s that are causing the issue are thoroughly cleaned as well.
Note: some units make it incredibly difficult to actually get at the lens mechanism.

With all due respect I would not do this. I’d send the unit to Cyrus for a checkup. This player had a bespoke servo and laser if I’m correct.

Alto56

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
From this forum and further investigation it's apparent the Cyrus 6 CD players are notorious for this issue. I have three options, one of which I need to choose: send back and get another make, get the 6 upgraded by Cyrus, but a new Cyrus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts