cyrus vs naim ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
went into my local hifi dealers today with a view to booking a demo for various cyrus and speaker setups.only to leave the shop with prices for there naim equipment which they kept trying to push.is naim that much better than the cyrus or are they trying to push it for another reason ?

system i was going to demo

cyrus 8se

prevs2

8 power

with a view to adding 2x psx-r in near future

dali ikon 6 speakers

system they kept giving me prices for

naimcd5i

nac122x pre

nap150x

dali ikon 5 or 6

this will be my first hifi so any advise would be gratfull

A

Anonymous

thanks for quick reply

thought most people would probarbly say that but just wanted other peoples views/experiences with both cyrus and naim products.

would it also be worth demoing the cyrus 8 integrated amp or is pre / power combo the way to go?

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Recently I had a demo of naim and I didn't like it much. For me it was too harsh. I think (and I've read that some people think the same) that naim gives you very good representation of the music, how you would hear in on the rock concert for example. But would you want to listen to rock concert all the time? It's this kind of system that I wouldn't want to listen to this whole day.. But it's just my ears.. and my opinion.

The supernait I think was much better.. but much more expensive as well!

I want to demo Roksan and Cyrus next so I would like to hear your own opition when you compare Naim to Cyrus.

Good Luck!

A

Anonymous

Whether they make more commission on one or the other doesn't matter. Both systems mentioned are superb, and whilst they share some characteristics they sound different.

Naim gear is definitely worth testing, the more systems you can hear, at this price level, the better.

A

Anonymous

thanks for all your replies am looking forward to demos.will keep you updated with results madeinstein

whats everyones thoughts on the dali speakers with the cyrus setup.the shop i am going to only do dali , q acuostics and misson so limited on spekers to demo

[*]
[/list]

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Craig M.:maybe they make more profit on naim?

The build quality of Naim is superb (I can't comment on the Cyrus having never owned one) - so perhaps they get less problems with Naim thus fewer returns etc.

Don't let them push you into anything - as others have quite rightly stated - go and listen and decide for yourself. I have Naim and now wouldn't even bother with anything else - but others will have an opposite opinion.

Hi fi is very much like wine - if you like it : drink it. It shouldn't matter how much it costs, where it comes from or what other people think of it...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
brewiex1:
whats everyones thoughts on the dali speakers with the cyrus setup.the shop i am going to only do dali , q acuostics and misson so limited on spekers to demo

Dali's are good (some models better than others), but there are so many other speakers out there that you might prefer - can you not get to another dealer, even if only to hear the difference between different brands?

isaacsdad

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
I think make sure you demo thoroughly,listen to your music at your volume,the dealers do like to crank it up it can sound more impressive when loud.

Also dont be afraid to mix and match,i use a Cyrus CD player Cd8x with psx-r and plan to upgrade to the SE,but use Naim amplification 200/282 with a hi cap and napsc.

After much time spent listening i prefered the cyrus cd players but was not so impressed with there amps,and prefered the naim amps but not there CD players,

Good luck, enjoy the demos and dont be in a rush,perhaps have a listen to some alternatives to compare

regards isaacsdad

A

Anonymous

Cyrus and Naim both make great equipment. If you get a fair demo you should easily find which one floats your boat the most and that's all that really matters. Take some music you know and try to get at least half an hour with each system. I am certain you'd be happy with either but the fact is one will suit you more so its worth going the extra mile to find which one.

A

Anonymous

well been for demo and still not 100% sure although im swaying towards the naim setup.but both sounded fantastic with different types of music,i found the cyrus fantastic with easylistening music with the naim not bringing out as much detail but with any thing heavier dance or rock i thought the naim was the better sounding system.

am going back to redemo both but adding the cd5x instead of the 5 i in the naim setup as the dealer said this will bring out more detail similar to cyrus but still keeping the overall sound of the naim.

the dealer only does dali speakers of which i was listening to ikon 6 which i thought sounded good but this is my fist demo of proper hihfi gear and dont want to regreat speaker choice a few months down the line as i have read that these speakers especially with naim gear can get fatiuging.any one anyviews on this as its hard to get to another dealer to try different speaker brands.

A

Anonymous

If you do go for the Naim gear, don't just get the Dali because its the only ones that the dealer sells, Neats, Spendor go especially well with Naim as well as a lot of other makes that will make a difference to the sound........

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
The dealer seems to be pushing you to spend more money. Stick to your budget. IMO you should get the Cyrus and look at different speakers. The Dali's are very pronouced in the treble. Try some Rega speakers. They work well with either Cyrus or Naim.

A

Anonymous

the cd5x is still within budget but will it improve the detail of the system enough to justify the price increase over the 5i ? any good dealers in or around the shropshire area i can demo other speaker makes ?

A

Anonymous

Look on the speaker manufacturers websites, they all give a list of their stockists..........

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
brewiex1:
the cd5x is still within budget but will it improveÿthe detail of the system enough to justify the price increase over the 5i ? any good dealers inÿor around the shropshire area i can demo other speaker makes ?ÿ

I won't say that it won't be worth the money. However, it would be an overkill. They deserve better speakers than the Dali's, then you will be on an upgrade path in no time.ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts