Cyrus Preamp Replacement. Thoughts?

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Am considering changing my Prexpd after listening to some other systems and reading a lot about Cyrus preamps being the weakest chain in their products,
The sound am getting now is pretty decent but am still looking for a fuller sound, more bass (but still controlled) and may be slightly wormer with details.

I know home audition with my x powers and FB1i speakers would be the ideal scenario, but i don't have this luxury here,

Any thoughts/experiences would be appreciated,

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
amro200 said:
Am considering changing my Prexpd after listening to some other systems and reading a lot about Cyrus preamps being the weakest chain in their products,
The sound am getting now is pretty decent but am still looking for a fuller sound, more bass (but still controlled) and may be slightly wormer with details.

I know home audition with my x powers and FB1i speakers would be the ideal scenario, but i don't have this luxury here,

Hi Amro,

I was thinkin the same thing a little while ago as i'd heard the same things.. Apparently it's common for people to change to Bel Canto pre-amps for a smoother less forward/anylitical sound.. I'm tempted to try them one day but don't have any money at the mo.. I'm going to demo some different interconnects as I demoed my streamer with a Chord Cobra and it really sorted this problem out.. Apparently Mark Grant cables are very good for bass and punch and will demo these too..

If you're adiment you want to try different Pre amps here's a thread I started with some good feedback options http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/what-pre-amps-have-you-triedheard-with-cyrus-power-amps

Keep us posted on how you get on :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What is your budget and how much warmer do you want to go? eg. Tube Pre.

You could try:

Bel Canto Pre 3VB
MF M6 Pre
Ayre K-5xe MP (may be outside budget)
Icon Audio LA4 Mk11

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the earlier posting - try out some different interconnects and speaker cables.

I borrowed some some a hi-fi shop and tried out a variety. They do make a difference. I originally had Cyrus's own interconnects but I found them a bit too muddy in the base and a bit bland at the top. I eventually settled on some Chord Signatures (used from e-bay at 40% RRP and already "run-in").

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
If you can live without features then a Croft will give you what you want by the sounds of it. A slightly warm of neutral sound, completely unfatiguing and fantastic bass would be my summary. I’ve always found myself describing the sound as very ‘solid’, almost forward in presentation but not in a bright way at all and should tame any Cyrus traits which are too obvious.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bluedroog said:
If you can live without features then a Croft will give you what you want by the sounds of it. A slightly warm of neutral sound, completely unfatiguing and fantastic bass would be my summary. I’ve always found myself describing the sound as very ‘solid’, almost forward in presentation but not in a bright way at all and should tame any Cyrus traits which are too obvious.

Another good call.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BronC said:
I agree with the earlier posting - try out some different interconnects and speaker cables.

I borrowed some some a hi-fi shop and tried out a variety. They do make a difference. I originally had Cyrus's own interconnects but I found them a bit too muddy in the base and a bit bland at the top. I eventually settled on some Chord Signatures (used from e-bay at 40% RRP and already "run-in").

It depends if the OP is looking for a subtle change or a more fundamental one.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah last comment on my post about a croft pre.. Was just looking at them funnily enough.. The £700 one is apparently the 'sweet spot' on the range.. Tempted to try this out as I could sell mine and have some money left for some other toys :p

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I have the regular 25 which is the one you refer to, although as I'm digital only I got a line only version which is just £600. The basic cannot be up specced but the others can, just pay the difference and Glenn Croft does it himself.

The really are first rate, destined to be classics.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Nice.. Looks like Icon audio have released a mk3 of their amp.. Looks very smart may have to try valve pre.. As far as cost of running goes how often do you change valves/ service etc?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BigColz said:
Nice.. Looks like Icon audio have released a mk3 of their amp.. Looks very smart may have to try valve pre.. As far as cost of running goes how often do you change valves/ service etc?

On the Pre, it's quite a long time; but I don't have figures in my head.

Acalex is your man, as he quoted them somewhere in his thread.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
As Cno says it is far less of an issue with pre-amps, I really think you'd be looking at the best part of a decade before the tube in a pre goes. I bought a used Mullard pre off my dealer for £30 just to try a bit of rolling, it is very easy to change and I now have a spare. People are often put off by tubes becasue they think they also need a service and are out of action half the time but really a valve pre and SS power amp is practical as well as wonderful sounding.

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the swift responses guys,

Am not looking for much warmer sound or passive pre, still prefer the forard sound but warmer and with more bass and refined high frquencies. I've listened to Naim earlier but didn't my ears being on the warm side i guess.

I don't think playing with interconnects/cables will give the big change am looking for, my budget is around 1500 GBP,

BigColz, i was following up your thread with much interst but then you didn't come to and end or some auditions ;)

Also Croft is not available here, I can only audition specific models of Naim, Rotel, Yamaha, Musical Fidelity and Belcanto but far from my place.

So how do you guys find the sound of Belcanto and Musical Fidelity if you've listened to any? all suggestions are welcomed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
amro200 said:
So how do you guys find the sound of Belcanto and Musical Fidelity if you've listened to any? all suggestions are welcomed.

I've never directly compared their pre-amps, but would expect the MF to sound a little warmer, fuller and richer.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
If your budget runs to £1500 then before you give up on Cyrus why not try out the DAC XP+? If it is more to your taste then you should be able to get that for under £1500 2nd hand.

It might be that you need a better DAC??

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
amro200 said:
BigColz, i was following up your thread with much interst but then you didn't come to and end or some auditions ;)

Ha yeah sorry about that... I went on a two week holiday/music festival to Florida/Cayman islands so has been put on hold but was worth every penny.. :cheers: Also as I will only have a tint listening room i'm not sure I want to spend big bucks as if I don't really want to do a big step up until at least I have a room big enough for floor standers..

If you don't want a tube/passive pre and by your descrition The M6 Pre would prob good as it's class A it will just sweeten the sound.. The Bel Canto may well suit your style too.. DAC xp May be an option too but whilst you demoing try some other interconnects as you may be very suprised the difference they can make! What IC do you use now? I've read a lot that the Cyrus IC can restrict bass a lot and may well play a big factor in my system not sounding 'right' to my ears.. It's all a balancing act :dance:

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
A DACXP+ is definetly on my auditions list , at leat it will give a better DAC to the setup am only worried that the difference in the PRE section might not give a big diffrence in sound.

I guess not much people here listened to the Bel cantos so not much feedback about it,

Perreaux DP32 is highly reviewed in some other magazines, anyone listened to it? and with what poer amps?

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I went for a repro/demo DAC XP+ and got a £900 trade-in on my PreXpdQx (worked out at an extra £900) .

Definitely better sound with the DAC XP+ - seems more detailed with better definition of the instruments but not disjointed, if you get what I mean.

amro200 said:

Hi amro200

Yes, i would say that alternative pre amplification is the way to go. If you can stretch your budget then (for a similar sized chassis as Cyrus) April Music Eximus DP1 DAC/pre amplification is also worth serious consideration.

http://www.aprilmusic.com/eng/main/sub02_04_03.html

Btw, i just want to be clear that we don't deal with April Music.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Rickk for the suggestion, the Eximus is a really interesting options, so many people are happy with it lately but not much reviews on the net.

Would love to know how does it sound like? and how it compares to others like Bel Canto Pre3 and perreaux DP32?

Is the headphone amp that good to compensate for not having a remote control?

Hi amro200

Your welcome.

Please contact Peter at Igloo Audio. He'll be able to assist you further with the Eximus DP1.

Btw, i just want to be clear that Musicraft has no connection with Igloo Audio and nor do we deal with April Music (Eximus) products.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts