Cyrus ONE Cast

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

treesey

Thanks for doing that. If only you had any pre-Freedom Mission 75x speakers, you'd have done all the testing for me.
Don't take this as a criticism, but do you have any other speakers to test with? I only say this as the Freedoms are known to be less erm 'something' compared with the originals.
You live in (shhhh says AI), yes?

Last edited:
Thanks for doing that. If only you had any pre-Freedom Mission 75x speakers, you'd have done all the testing for me.
Don't take this as a criticism, but do you have any other speakers to test with? I only say this as the Freedoms are known to be less erm 'something' compared with the originals.
You live in Bournemouth, yes?
Don't tell them your name Pike!
If you would like to pass on details then do it in a private message....

Gray

20221109-140949-02.jpg
A new Audiolab amp for the RoA shop:

Reactions: RoA and Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
You live in (shhhh says AI), yes?

Was this directed at me? I don't quite understand the question. I also have Quad standmounts which I briefly used with the amplifiers but my impressions where mostly when used with the Missions.

I am Dorset based.

Last edited:
Was this directed at me? I don't quite understand the question. I also have Quad standmounts which I briefly used with the amplifiers but my impressions where mostly when used with the Missions.

I am Dorset based.
Hi RoA

Next time I go down to my brother's caravan on the Isle of Purbeck, I could drop the Leema off for the weekend, if you want. I won't be upset if you decline, but the offer is on the table. I know a weekend probably isn't long enough, you'll get the flavour of the brand.

Cheers.

Reactions: RoA and treesey

treesey

I am Dorset based.

It was - I understand that you were primarily listening to the amp differences, and therefore a single pair of speakers will do that.

But as the Freedoms have a reputation for being less 'lively' than the originals, I wondered if you've got any other speakers handy as you have the amplifiers all lined-up to do so. Apart from the Quads.

Why? It helps the rest of us :)

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
It was - I understand that you were primarily listening to the amp differences, and therefore a single pair of speakers will do that.

But as the Freedoms have a reputation for being less 'lively' than the originals, I wondered if you've got any other speakers handy as you have the amplifiers all lined-up to do so. Apart from the Quads.

Why? It helps the rest of us :)

Understand. Unfortunately not. The Mission tweeters are what I would deem pretty neutral. The Quad's tweeters are similar, perhaps a little quieter.

I have had quite a few different speakers lately, including actives, hence my description above. If you have speakers with hotter highs you should be able to translate that from my little comparison with the proviso that rooms make a difference too (and that your ears maybe better than mine).

Reactions: treesey

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Hi RoA

Next time I go down to my brother's caravan on the Isle of Purbeck, I could drop the Leema off for the weekend, if you want. I won't be upset if you decline, but the offer is on the table. I know a weekend probably isn't long enough, you'll get the flavour of the brand.

Cheers.

Of course PP, why not. Very kind and it would be interesting. Beers are on me. I would eventually get to the brand I'm sure. I am a little baffled why I have not yet as reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Genelecs are next on the list though after my Pro Music Store visit.

Let me know by mail when your down next and we regroup

Of course PP, why not. Very kind and it would be interesting. Beers are on me. I would eventually get to the brand I'm sure. I am a little baffled why I have not yet as reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Genelecs are next on the list though after my Pro Music Store visit.

Let me know by mail when your down next and we regroup
Beers not needed. A mug of tea will suffice. :) There's a great pub in Corfe village. I'm more than happy to drop it off and possibly bring down the Dalis as well. Not sure when or if the site closes. I'll have a word with my brother over the next few days.

Reactions: RoA

treesey

Off topic - I'm guessing you mean the one in the square opposite the ice cream shop - Greyhound is it ?

What you must do is go to the Square & Compass at Worth Matravers. Without doubt or question, this is the best pub in the world.

Off topic - I'm guessing you mean the one in the square opposite the ice cream shop - Greyhound is it ?

What you must do is go to the Square & Compass at Worth Matravers. Without doubt or question, this is the best pub in the world.
No, the Fox Inn.

My brother has only had the caravan for around 3 years. I've been there once due to home commitments.

The pub at Worth Travers was, I believe, is where boffins invented Chain Home Low (Radar to detect low sweeps by German aircraft in 1940)

treesey

Ah The Fox - a bit tatty, with fantastic locals and a long sloping crazy garden? All the Corfe pubs are great in their own way. Spent many many summers on the Isle. We should all move back to the 1970s.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
They are all good amplifiers. Amazing what one can get these days for not much. I include the Hegel too (Steve Guttenberg has a review of the H95 coming out imminently).

Some scale a little better and that is kind of where the difference in cost comes in but I do not think many would be dissappointed with any of them in context of matched speakers. I think you have to spend silly money to get substantially better.

Mark McC

Dec 31, 2022
Visit site
Hi, hope it's ok for me to join this thread.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of comparing the Cyrus One Cast for streaming against a Sonos system.

I've been using Sonos for many years and really like it. However l want something to play vinyl on so l'm about to buy my first Hi-fi system. I'm (probably) going for a Project DC turntable and Dali Oberon 5 speakers. That leaves the amp.

After lots of research l think l've narrowed it down to 2 options

1 - the Cyrus One Cast which will enable me to play vinyl and Deezer on "one system"; and

2 - to go with a non Bluetooth amp such as the Marantz 6007 for vinyl and to keep my Sonos products (l have various including a pair of Play 5s) for streaming.

Option 1 means less kit in my lounge but l don't want to move from Sonos to the Cyrus for streaming if the sound quality will be no better....or worse. The cost of the options is about the same so l guess it comes down to sound quality first and l suppose convenience second.

Because of where l live and mobility issues it isn't really an option for me to get to a hifi stores to try anything out so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great 2023 all

Mark

Witterings

Hi, hope it's ok for me to join this thread.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of comparing the Cyrus One Cast for streaming against a Sonos system.

I've been using Sonos for many years and really like it. However l want something to play vinyl on so l'm about to buy my first Hi-fi system. I'm (probably) going for a Project DC turntable and Dali Oberon 5 speakers. That leaves the amp.

After lots of research l think l've narrowed it down to 2 options

1 - the Cyrus One Cast which will enable me to play vinyl and Deezer on "one system"; and

2 - to go with a non Bluetooth amp such as the Marantz 6007 for vinyl and to keep my Sonos products (l have various including a pair of Play 5s) for streaming.

Option 1 means less kit in my lounge but l don't want to move from Sonos to the Cyrus for streaming if the sound quality will be no better....or worse. The cost of the options is about the same so l guess it comes down to sound quality first and l suppose convenience second.

Because of where l live and mobility issues it isn't really an option for me to get to a hifi stores to try anything out so any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great 2023 all

Mark

Seeing as no-one else has come back with anything thought I'd try and offer some input although I don't have experience with the items you've suggested I very seriously considered buying that exact combo myself.

Firstly if you're happy with the Sonos setup you have, does it have any RCA inputs in which case you could maybe buy a phono preamp for the turntable?

My recent journey started with just upgrading some kitchen speakers and whilst I was talking to a dealer I thought was totally genuine said "I'm not looking to upgrade the lounge system in the imminent future but I have a decent AVR / floorstanders, I've heard a lot about Sonos, would that be an upgrade?"
He answered what I felt was honestly and said it's a lifestyle or quality choice, one will fit into your loving area much better, the other will sound much better .... bear in mind he could have potentially said the Somos would be much better and tried to sell me something.
My only other experience was recently at a friends he was using a Sonos 1 as a single unit and I thought it was awful.

When I did get round to upgrading the lounge system I very nearly bought the Dali 5's, you can't find a negative comment about them anywhere and every single dealer I spoke with said they're the best in that price band by quite a way.
The Cyrus Onecast ..... Cyrus have an incredibly good reputation which they wouldn't risk with a sub standard product and there are a lot of positive reviews on it although some have mentioned a few issues with connectivity / drop outs.

The Marantz is quite a bit cheaper which would allow you to buy a sperate streamer like a WiiM mini which depending on the streaming provider you're using will give much better quality than bluetooth, I just don't know how compatible / well it works with Deezer as I've not used it.

I hope that's of some help

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
I've owned the 8 amp for 20 years - it was an easy choice for me when originally comparing it with Arcam (A85) and Roksan (Kandy).
I like its energetic, detailed sound but have never been blind (deaf) to its faults.
Been considering options recently, which is why I was interested in your amp comparisons - especially your verdict on the 6000A.

I was after what I had, but better (who isn't?) and liked the look, but not the prices, of their XR range. Turned out that they've decided to drop the i7-XR, leaving only the i9-XR in the amp lineup for next year.....so I took delivery of a (discounted) i7-XR yesterday.
It's around 20 watts down on the old 8, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, has a more 'sophisticated' (cleaner) sound.

I wonder if they'll give you the same running in advice as I got.
If you can read it, here's the message that was printed inside the box lid.
(It's almost as if they knew that I don't place as much importance on 'burn-in' as others do 😏):
View attachment 4052
Televisions have no running in advice nor does electronic measuring equipment. If components change value they are faulty so what is there to run in?

Reactions: Gray

Gray

what is there to run in?
Good question.
People make the point that electrolytic capacitors are electro chemical devices - but they're in TVs and measuring equipment too.

A few minutes stabilisation time after switch on is all that's really necessary.
In their service manual Marantz, for example, instruct you to delay setting the idling current for at least 4 minutes after power up.
That makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts