Cyrus ONE Cast

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I've ordered one to try. They are heavily discounted now. Shoot out with my other amps coming soon incl. photos. I should have it tomorrow.

I am an ex Cyrus full system owner but haven't used the brand for quite some time.

Good reviews (other than WH).

I also have mixed feelings about Class D (after my active speaker ownership) but have not listened to enough. The beefy linear power supply (as opposed to the usual cheap switch mode ones) inspires confidence at least.

We'll see.

I am also planning to review some Genelecs (Class D) 8040 near/midfield active speakers but this will take place after the Cyrus.

Gray

I am an ex Cyrus full system owner
I've owned the 8 amp for 20 years - it was an easy choice for me when originally comparing it with Arcam (A85) and Roksan (Kandy).
I like its energetic, detailed sound but have never been blind (deaf) to its faults.
Been considering options recently, which is why I was interested in your amp comparisons - especially your verdict on the 6000A.

I was after what I had, but better (who isn't?) and liked the look, but not the prices, of their XR range. Turned out that they've decided to drop the i7-XR, leaving only the i9-XR in the amp lineup for next year.....so I took delivery of a (discounted) i7-XR yesterday.
It's around 20 watts down on the old 8, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, has a more 'sophisticated' (cleaner) sound.

I wonder if they'll give you the same running in advice as I got.
If you can read it, here's the message that was printed inside the box lid.
(It's almost as if they knew that I don't place as much importance on 'burn-in' as others do 😏):
IMG_20221104_135416_MP.jpg

I've owned the 8 amp for 20 years - it was an easy choice for me when originally comparing it with Arcam (A85) and Roksan (Kandy).
I like its energetic, detailed sound but have never been blind (deaf) to its faults.
Been considering options recently, which is why I was interested in your amp comparisons - especially your verdict on the 6000A.

I was after what I had, but better (who isn't?) and liked the look, but not the prices, of their XR range. Turned out that they've decided to drop the i7-XR, leaving only the i9-XR in the amp lineup for next year.....so I took delivery of a (discounted) i7-XR yesterday.
It's around 20 watts down on the old 8, but, perhaps unsurprisingly, has a more 'sophisticated' (cleaner) sound.

I wonder if they'll give you the same running in advice as I got.
If you can read it, here's the message that was printed inside the box lid.
(It's almost as if they knew that I don't place as much importance on 'burn-in' as others do 😏):
View attachment 4052
When I first joined this forum, they arranged a Reader Rescue, as I was looking for a replacement for the Arcam A65. They brought along Cyrus 8VS2 and a Roksan Kandy LIII. Although the vocals on the Cyrus had beautiful clarity, I found the whole presentation too edgy for my taste.

Have heard later incarnations, the 8XD at SSAV, powering MA Golds (GR50)... a slight improvement (less edgy), but still not sure I could live with one.

This is where the guys at Leema really pulled the rabbit out of the hat with the original Pulse. They somehow manage to produce a very detailed, agile and dynamic amp yet has the lovely cozy, cuddly feel of something like a midrange Arcam.

It's almost like Lee Taylor and Mallory Nicholls said, "the Tucana has had great plaudits, let's now make a entry-level model to take on and beat the competition. Let's throw the kitchen sink at it."

I've had the Pulse with RS6s, PMCs and now Dalis -- nothing seems to phase it.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

....straight after I bought the 8, they bought out the 8V2 which used DC coupling, to avoid caps in the signal path.

WHF described it as a 'night and day' improvement over the 8 (just my luck).

The i7-XR is a 'ground up' design. After 20 years familiarity, I'm getting used to a new sound......always more a case of brain, rather than component 'burn-in' as far as I'm concerned 👍

Will be interesting to hear the OPs verdict on the ONE cast.

Reactions: plastic penguin
....straight after I bought the 8, they bought out the 8V2 which used DC coupling, to avoid caps in the signal path.

WHF described it as a 'night and day' improvement over the 8 (just my luck).

The i7-XR is a 'ground up' design. After 20 years familiarity, I'm getting used to a new sound......always more a case of brain, rather than component 'burn-in' as far as I'm concerned 👍

Will be interesting to hear the OPs verdict on the ONE cast.
Fair play. No experience of the newer Cyruses.

Out of interest, what speakers do you use?

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
It's quite a good looking unit. Not very heavy compared to the others and most of the weight is towards the front due to the good size toroidal. Build quality is adequate, not quite as solid as the others but the metal case is nicely screwed together. It is definitively not up to the standards set by the Classics series. However there are a few things to point out; Almost every review mentions this and I concur ... the two front selector knobs have a somewhat insubstantial feel. They are not as solid as my other amplifiers, actually quite lightweight and there is a little play. At least they are rastered but had I paid the full launch price I'd be slightly dissappointed with that part. Next, the speaker terminals are also more insubstantial than every other amplifier I own ... Arcam SA20, Audiolab 6000A, Hegel H95. This has no effect on the sound and I use Zplugs which the unit readily accepts but they are not ideal for spades. Lastly, the two aerials at the rear are again insubstantial and feel loosely mounted. They are not however, once positioned they stay.

The remote is small and plastic (as is the Hegel's). However, they work and have the important features required. I appreciate the Arcam's more solid remote but mostly for the backlight. The Audiolab's is nice but it has to too many buttons meant for other Audiolab components.

If all this seems faintly damning, I guess it may be if I'd spend £1300 on it but the amplifier must have some redeeming features right ... ?

It does but more on it once I've had a few days to compare.

What else? The lights around the volume dial are VERY bright undimmed. Like it could light part of a room up. Luckily they can be dimmed to an acceptable degree (but not completely turned off unless I've missed something). Not an issue and the white lights looks smart. Still, every other amplifier I own can switch the display off if required.

The amp has a dedicated class A/B Headphone amp (which has received quite some praise from Headfiers) and there is a MM phono stage. There is of course Chromecast built in for streaming but for some reason I have not yet managed to connect this yet! I have been using a CCA instead for the last hour.

20221105-132333.jpg

20221105-131754.jpg

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Yes. only one analogue input plus phono. The One HD is a better option if more inputs are required. I think that has 3 plus phono (and the original One has 4)

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
It would be an interesting comparison between my original Cyrus One and the latest incarnation. I feel my Cyrus One can hold its own. It may not have the muscle but musicality it is pretty well satisfying. I may toddle down to my nearest Cyrus dealer to satisfy my curiosity.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
It sounds quite different from my previous Cyrus 8 series system if memory serves well. Of course, different speakers, room etc then so no real comparison there.

It also sounds different from my other amplifiers. I'll report back once I had a few hours.

It's quite a good looking unit. Not very heavy compared to the others and most of the weight is towards the front due to the good size toroidal. Build quality is adequate, not quite as solid as the others but the metal case is nicely screwed together. It is definitively not up to the standards set by the Classics series. However there are a few things to point out; Almost every review mentions this and I concur ... the two front selector knobs have a somewhat insubstantial feel. They are not as solid as my other amplifiers, actually quite lightweight and there is a little play. At least they are rastered but had I paid the full launch price I'd be slightly dissappointed with that part. Next, the speaker terminals are also more insubstantial than every other amplifier I own ... Arcam SA20, Audiolab 6000A, Hegel H95. This has no effect on the sound and I use Zplugs which the unit readily accepts but they are not ideal for spades. Lastly, the two aerials at the rear are again insubstantial and feel loosely mounted. They are not however, once positioned they stay.

The remote is small and plastic (as is the Hegel's). However, they work and have the important features required. I appreciate the Arcam's more solid remote but mostly for the backlight. The Audiolab's is nice but it has to too many buttons meant for other Audiolab components.

If all this seems faintly damning, I guess it may be if I'd spend £1300 on it but the amplifier must have some redeeming features right ... ?

It does but more on it once I've had a few days to compare.

What else? The lights around the volume dial are VERY bright undimmed. Like it could light part of a room up. Luckily they can be dimmed to an acceptable degree (but not completely turned off unless I've missed something). Not an issue and the white lights looks smart. Still, every other amplifier I own can switch the display off if required.

The amp has a dedicated class A/B Headphone amp (which has received quite some praise from Headfiers) and there is a MM phono stage. There is of course Chromecast built in for streaming but for some reason I have not yet managed to connect this yet! I have been using a CCA instead for the last hour.

20221105-132333.jpg

20221105-131754.jpg
It's a strange looking little thing. Those knobs look too big for the amp.

Sound quality, though, is the most important.

Reactions: RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
It looks better in front of me than on pics. Its also half width and runs cool'ish so can easily be placed on a shelf between books, provided there is some depth.

I don't want to say too much yet but the power, fullness/solidity and punch are impressive, quite unlike I remember the 8 series Cyrus system I had.

It looks better in front of me than on pics. Its also half width and runs cool'ish so can easily be placed on a shelf between books, provided there is some depth.

I don't want to say too much yet but the power, fullness/solidity and punch are impressive, quite unlike I remember the 8 series Cyrus system I had.
I know Arcam changed the presentation, pretty much over the years. The difference between the Alpha ranges to the modern Class G is quite marked.

Therefore, doesn't surprise me Cyrus sound fuller than the old 8s.

Reactions: Al ears and RoA

matthewpianist

Although not in my signature, I own a Cyrus ONE HD (and also the Linear ONE speakers). It's one of the best amps I've heard and used (even compare to the Roksan Kandy K3, Rega Elex-R and Quad Artera Pre and Stereo) - very engaging, no flashy tricks, just pure music.

It may well end up being the amp I use long-term, whether with the Cyrus speakers or the Focals (quite possibly the latter, which are superb). Out of the kit I've got 'in stock' the system could end up as follows:

Rega Planar 2
Rega Apollo-R
Denon DNP-800NE
Cyrus ONE HD
Focal Chora 806

I do still have a Rega Brio-R, but I prefer the Cyrus for both sound and flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldie and RoA

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Although not in my signature, I own a Cyrus ONE HD (and also the Linear ONE speakers). It's one of the best amps I've heard and used (even compare to the Roksan Kandy K3, Rega Elex-R and Quad Artera Pre and Stereo) - very engaging, no flashy tricks, just pure music.

It may well end up being the amp I use long-term, whether with the Cyrus speakers or the Focals (quite possibly the latter, which are superb). Out of the kit I've got 'in stock' the system could end up as follows:

Rega Planar 2
Rega Apollo-R
Denon DNP-800NE
Cyrus ONE HD
Focal Chora 806

I do still have a Rega Brio-R, but I prefer the Cyrus for both sound and flexibility.

Yes, Cyrus have done something a little special with the ONE.

They (Cyrus) actually made quite stir upon the release of each version with various tours and dem's. - Units were not just sent to hifi reviewers but also Headfiers. They are clearly proud of it, arguably more so than any of the classic products, many (most) much more expensive (and which I have not heard).

I am still not done comparing but it suits the Mission 752 perfectly, adding what seems half an octave of sumptuous, bouncy but tight bass.

The ONE problem I have (sorry, had to do it) is that I can't connect it to my network. Tried about 5 times and no luck. I actually stream to it using my CCA! - Quite a Biggie and I don't quite understand why. It's next to the router, literally and I've quadruple checked all router and phone settings incl. BT. - I have a fast Virgin pipe and don't have any issues with any other devices.

Either I'm doing something wrong or the unit is defective. I will get in contact with Tysen but I don't believe it's a common issue.

Reactions: oldie

Witterings

Yes. only one analogue input plus phono. The One HD is a better option if more inputs are required. I think that has 3 plus phono (and the original One has 4)

I recently looked at these and was tempted, it was the lack of inputs made me hesitate from buying the Cast, I considered the One HD but there's no remote which was a deal breaker, if I had of gone the Cyrus route I probably would have tried to find an original 2nd hand one

It also sounds different from my other amplifiers. I'll report back once I had a few hours.

Be really interested to hear any comparisons especially with your Arcam SA20.

matthewpianist

I recently looked at these and was tempted, it was the lack of inputs made me hesitate from buying the Cast, I considered the One HD but there's no remote which was a deal breaker, if I had of gone the Cyrus route I probably would have tried to find an original 2nd hand one

I was unsure about the lack of remote, but I find the software/phone remote works very well. I can understand why it wouldn't suit everyone though.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

Will do.

I think the Cast is the pick if you don't have masses of equipment or a streamer and it is probably aimed at that customer group. It also comes with a five year warranty from P. Tyson and probably others. - One analogue in and a separate TT (MM only) input probably caters for many but if you decide to use a better external DAC (the built in one is fine) or a better phono stage (I don't currently use vinyl) then the available inputs are gone. I understand your dilemma and they are valid reasons to go with one of the other models. I'm not sure if they are still available and at what cost. I don't know either whether Cyrus have implemented 'silent' revisions since the first iteration.

Reactions: Witterings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts