Cyrus Mono-X Best AMP for my requirements? Any other suggestions?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I own 3 Cyruses (a 1985 Cyrus 2 with it's PSX, a 1987 Cyrus 1, and a 1990 Cyrus 2 and each one is a gem in it's own way) as power amps to my Hi-Fi/AV Setup in combination with a Yamaha DSP-AX1 which i only use as a pre-amp (power "amp" is appalling! Yikes!) Currently i use the OLDER 1985 Cyrus 2 / PSX to Drive my main speakers (Infinity Delta 60), as the older model is more 3d, more transparent and has more finesse and detail than the newer model (which has much better grip and drive than the old) but in any case whatever other amps i listen to, i always go back to the Cyruses.... Nevertheless, i am looking for the best amp that can satisfy the below requirements: - I want SPEED, SPEED, SPEED and SPEED! -I want AWESOME DYNAMICS and the best possible TRANSIENT RESPONSE (this takes us back to speed...) -I want a truly TRANSPARENT amp WITOUT any character of it's own. If a recording is Bad i want it to sound BAD and if it is good, i want it to sound GOOD letting ALL the detail that is available in the recording (good or bad) to come out of the speakers. -I want it to provide as much from the power, realism, detail, speed, dynamics, and slam of LIVE music, and not sound artificially "sweetened". If a cymbal is supposed to sound bright and harsh in real life, it should sound the same with this amp. -I want an amp that will immediately point out a bad source, interconnect and power cable, and be able to clearly show the difference between cables, sources, and interconnects (this takes us back to trasparency..) -I want a 3D soundstage with pinpoint accuracy. I am thinking of 2x Cyrus Mono-X amps. Will these be ideal to my requirements? As i have not seen any interviews of these amps, can someone give me their opinion and comments?? Also, can you suggest any other (non Cyrus) products that satisfy the above requirements? Cheers a lot! :)

A

Anonymous

When you're spending that sort of money on amps you really need to hear them in your system. If you want to stay with Cyrus and looking for a cheaper option, I'd suggest hunting down a set of second hand APA7.5's, this amp is the predecessor to the mono x's and apparently there isn't a huge difference in sound compared to the mono x's. Me, I'm just a snob and have to have the latest kit but my mono x's are totally awesome

Both APA7.5 and mono X will give you what your after but I think you'd be wasting a lot of their potential without an upgrade to the pre-amp.

Check out the Cyrus website, on the mono x page there's a review from What HiFi if I remember correctly. You can also check out www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk forum, plenty of knowledgable people on there.

Ian

A

Anonymous

Well it sounds to me like yuo want the God of all hifi...

I recommend the Audionote Ongaku and a pair of Tannoy Kingom 18's and... well I'm not sure for the sound source, but something by krell;) anyway, that pair alone would set you back over £60K

anyway, these are your speakers right? http://home.worldonline.dk/isl24678/migselv/minehojttalere.htm Regardless of power amplification, when it comes to a more 3D soundstage I can only say that from a physics standpoint that you want all of your sound (or as much as possible) to come from one location. That means you *really* want to consider speakers with dual concentric drivers (hehe like the tannoy kingdoms) or for a cheaper example, the Kef Q range. Because they have already ruled out one of the defining issues with getting that holographic soundstage. I have a funny feeling you might love those speakers too much to change them though;)

A

Anonymous

If i had this amount of money, i would not go for a 20W Tube Amp, and a small Speaker like the Tannoy's but 6x Mono Krell's, and JM Lab Grand Utopia or Wilson Grand Slam instead :)

Yes, those are my speakers. They are not perfect as they need a big room, are very demanding on placement and sound awful in a heavily carpeted/draped room, but they go weeeell below 30Hz in the room without sounding boomy, they have endless power handling, good balance, are fast, dynamic, detailed, controlled, and have a fabulous ribbon tweeter that produces amazingly fast and sweet high frequencies.

These speakers are the last to go from the system :)

I can see that you use Audiolab 8000C and P. Did you have the chance to listen to the Cyrus Mono-X? How does the 8000P or 8000M compare to it?

Can you recommend any other amps (costing reasonable money...) that can satisfy my requirements?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
IF YOU WANT FAST, DYNAMIC, DETAILS, 3D SOUNDSTAGE AND BASS TO DIE FOR - JUST GET YOURSELF A KRELL 400XI AND BE DONE WITH IT. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts