Cyrus Kit on steel glass rack

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I have a Cyrus CD7, PreXvs and SmartPower Plus on a Atacama Equinox steel/glass rack. I've subsequently noticed a few reviews of Cyrus kit that say avoid that. I have a few times slightly winced at forward high frequency sounds: generally it's great and I don't want to change the rack.

Are there any tweaks that would help such as putting some other surface between the machine and the glass shelves?

Actually I am thinking of taking up one of the good deals on the outgoing Cd6s (and demoting the CD7 to my second system) of that is likely to solve the issue.

Any thoughts welcome, ta.

A

Anonymous

Stick a plank of wood underneath it...but really, you won't hear much difference - it'll only be phycoaccoustics if you do. Try it with a relative or friend to see if there is a difference that doesn't involve phycoaccoustics.

A

Anonymous

Or -like I did- buy some squash balls, cut them in half and put them between the cd-players feet and the glass.
Alternatively you could buy halfed squash balls with a fancy name from the internet.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Without starting a war is there anyone who can give a logical explanation of WHY a glass shelf would sound less bright than a wooden one? Please note this is not a "does a rack make a difference question" - if two stands are equally sturdy and equally adept at minimising unwanted vibrations what difference does it make if they are made from glass, wood, metal? Just curious and a bit baffled...

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS: if two stands are equally sturdy and equally adept at minimising unwanted vibrations what difference does it make if they are made from glass, wood, metal?

That's the point. Apparently they're not all equal at minimizing vibrations. Truly, I wouldn't worry too much - In my experience they're not drastically different. Others may argue otherwise :)

A

Anonymous

Solomon1:Or -like I did- buy some squash balls, cut them in half and put them between the cd-players feet and the glass.
Alternatively you could buy halfed squash balls with a fancy name from the internet.

And then place a heavy book on top of your cd-player. The difference will be small, but noticeable. I just love low budget improvements.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
It's about rigidity, reflection of sound and all sorts of other things. Each material has different properties no matter how sturdy.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Solomon1:
And place a heavy book on top of your cd-player. The difference will be small, but noticeable. I just love low budget improvements.

Fiction!

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:Solomon1:
And place a heavy book on top of your cd-player. The difference will be small, but noticeable. I just love low budget improvements.

Fiction!

You might prefer fiction, but in fact any big book will do. Don't get too uptight.

A

Anonymous

I had my Cyrus CD8x on glass and found it way too lean. Stacking it on wood with better dampers solved the problem for me.

A

Anonymous

Solomon1:JAXON5:Solomon1:

Fiction!

You might prefer fiction, but in fact any big book will do. Don't get too uptight

That was the joke, ah forgedit....(counts to ten)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I sometimes wish I'd given myself a cool name like 'Evilwolf', then I could pretend I wasn't a nerd, or more to the point I could creep up on my missus and scare her before tucking into organic yoghurt just like Evilwolves do in the wild

ÿ

A

Anonymous

No cloak required JoelSim. Find solace and reconcile the fact that you are one, with yourself.

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:Solomon1:JAXON5:Solomon1:

Fiction!

You might prefer fiction, but in fact any big book will do. Don't get too uptight

That was the joke, ah forgedit....(counts to ten)

I'm sorry to hear that. This brings me to the point that I noticed my own replies having changed from when I first started on this forum. I'm afraid the past reactions on certain cable threads from now banned forum members have made me somewhat edgy, whenever I sense one of my posts being challenged on bases outside reason.
Unfortunately, in writing, humor and irony sometimes look almost indistinguishable from a negative response with vicious intend. I've experienced this myself in response to other forum members, and I'm sorry it happened to you.
Next time I'll be more patient and give you the benefit of the doubt.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont be sorry. This is such a lunatic thread that any reply that results in it being locked is a good one. Its one for those that have lost any passion for music and are totally obsessed with 'improving' sound thus take this to a laughable level. Talking of music, got blue notes "Somethin' else" yesterday. A 1958 recording of Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank jones, Sam Jones and Art Blakey. Lovely. Also picked up Amadou & Mariam, mainly because I liked the cover (!). A mixture of african/jazz/pop tunes which, incidentally, won BBC's Radio 3's 2006 Album of the year, best african album and was nominated for Grammy and MOBO awards. Like I said, did'nt know about that but it sounds great ... no books on cdp's.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Dont be sorry. This is such a lunatic thread that any reply that results in it being locked is a good one. Its one for those that have lost any passion for music and are totally obsessed with 'improving' sound thus take this to a laughable level. Talking of music, got blue notes "Somethin' else" yesterday. A 1958 recording of Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank jones, Sam Jones and Art Blakey. Lovely. Also picked up Amadou & Mariam, mainly because I liked the cover (!). A mixture of african/jazz/pop tunes which, incidentally, won BBC's Radio 3's 2006 Album of the year, best african album and was nominated for Grammy and MOBO awards. Like I said, did'nt know about that but it sounds great ... no books on cdp's.

Thanks. THB with you, although I've given up on small tweaks since I dumped my cdp, I've been there too. IME teh tweaks I suggested really do help (a little).
Will check on the albums you mentioned; in the end music is everything.

A

Anonymous

drummerman:Dont be sorry. This is such a lunatic thread that any reply that results in it being locked is a good one. Its one for those that have lost any passion for music and are totally obsessed with 'improving' sound thus take this to a laughable level. Talking of music, got blue notes "Somethin' else" yesterday. A 1958 recording of Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Hank jones, Sam Jones and Art Blakey. Lovely. Also picked up Amadou & Mariam, mainly because I liked the cover (!). A mixture of african/jazz/pop tunes which, incidentally, won BBC's Radio 3's 2006 Album of the year, best african album and was nominated for Grammy and MOBO awards. Like I said, did'nt know about that but it sounds great ... no books on cdp's.

Eh??

I thought the point of this whole web site and forum was to get to enjoy the music more. Nobody is making you read it...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the posts.

Noting some people's scepticism, I would still like to to try any tweaks without significant cost. I notice that Cyrus own racks are actually wood rather than metal.

Will try the squash balls: any other low cost suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Yellow Kid:
Thanks for the posts.

Noting some people's scepticism, I would still like to to try any tweaks without significant cost. I notice that Cyrus own racks are actually wood rather than metal.

Will try the squash balls: any other low cost suggestions?

Put a brick on top - did it myself and noticed no difference...although there was more vibration in my house...
emotion-5.gif

And Drummerman, I'm with you on this one!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
BTW why do we have a few threads asking about Cyrus and glass rack on the forum? Is it the fobidden rule written somewhere I don't know about???

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts