Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Like a lot of folks during lockdown, I've re-discovered the joy of tinkering with my Hi-Fi (and, subsequently browsing the internet for upgrade ideas!).
I've currently got a Cyrus + Dynaudio system, that I've owned for a good few years:
CD6 SE2
8vs +PSX-R
Dynaudio Excite X12
Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100 (connected to my Mac).

I've been looking into the various power amp options available, with an eye on extracting the very best out of my (4 Ohm) Dynaudios.
I'm torn between two ideas:
1: Xpower + PSX-R (2x120W @ 4 Ohms)
2: 2 x 8 Power in mono (150W @ 4 Ohms)

Though I realise that X Powers in mono would ultimately be more powerful (and expensive), everything I can find from Dynaudio recommends staying within your speaker's power rating (150W in my case).

Because of this, the twin 8 Powers would get me closest to that figure.

Can anyone offer me any insight or guidance please?
I'd also just like to say that my old system has a real sentimental value (I bought it in 2008, after being left some money by a close relative in her will), so I really want to keep hold of it.
Thanks for reading my first post in 5 years!

Si

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for answering my question.
I've found a fair bit of conflicting information online about power ratings, so I thought I'd err on the side of caution and go with the manufacturer's recommendations.

With regard to what I'd like to improve, I'm hoping to increase the 'dynamism' of my system (I'm trying really hard to avoid audiophile speak!) .
It's hard to put my finger on it, but I'm pretty sure that my speakers are capable of offering a bit more than my amp can currently offer.

I love my current kit and I really like the Cyrus/Dynaudio combination, so I'd like to stick to my current brands.

Being furloughed for a lot of the last year has given me lots of time to kill online, I'd like to be sure that I'm getting the very best out of my current speakers, before I start dreaming about Evoke 20's and Special Forty's!

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. My Dynaudios are indeed single wired.

The X Power would be the best stereo power amp that I could afford.

I was really wondering if any Cyrus owners/experts out there could highlight the relative merits between:
a stereo X Power + PSX-R,
versus: 2 x Mono 8 Powers.
The used cost (and silver box count!) would be pretty similar, but which would be the wiser option?

in which case going with two as bridged monos

I would caution against using the amps in bridge mode. The Dynaudio's speakers have an impedance of 4 ohms and therefore in bridge mode the amps effectively being presented with half of that load at 2 ohms. On paper at least bridging the amps with this load is probably not a good idea. Bridging amps is fine however this should normally be done with speakers that have an impedance of 8 ohms. Best to double check with Cyrus and Dynaudio to ensure if its ok to use the amps in bridge mode with these speakers.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
I have been using Cyrus for years and did enjoy it.

Unfortunately, imho times have moved on and their 'classic' range now seems excessively expensive for what they offer.

I guess they are still a valid proposition if you can find them at good s/h prices.

At new cost I personally feel there are now many better options.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I'll definitely be looking at second hand (for the moment).

I know it's daft, but I wouldn't 'switch teams' and go to another brand.
Cyrus kit has served me well, I like the build, the sound and the aesthetic.
The aesthetic is especially useful as a married man -
Identical silver boxes are very easy to upgrade without anyone noticing...:ROFLMAO:

She'll never notice one more silver box, surely....:unsure:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts