Cyrus DAC XP +

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for a Preamp with an integrated DAC (space dictates no standalone DAC)to go with my Cyrus based set up that I am starting to upgrade. I notice that the Cyrus DAX XP + only gained 4 stars (and also doesn't have a(n) USB input) when it was reviewed in WHF.

Are there any other Preamps that would fit the bill that I should shortlist?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It depends on what you're going to use a USB connection for. If it's for an iPod or iPhone, a dock can be bought that will output digitally into the pre's optical or coaxial inputs. Or are you trying to plug a HDD drive into it?

It depends what type of USB input you need, but you could look at the Cyrus PreXpd, Audiolab M-DAC, Audiolab 8200DQ, or Classe CP800.

etlmdhn said:
I'm looking for a Preamp with an integrated DAC (space dictates no standalone DAC)to go with my Cyrus based set up that I am starting to upgrade. I notice that the Cyrus DAX XP + only gained 4 stars (and also doesn't have a(n) USB input) when it was reviewed in WHF. Are there any other Preamps that would fit the bill that I should shortlist?

Hi etlmdhn

What Cyrus component/s, cabling and speakers are you currently using?

Your impressions/thoughts on the performance of your system?

What genre of music do you generally listen to?

Your maximum budget?

With a new pre/dac are there any areas of performnce which you are also looking to improve upon?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The USB would be for the occaisional IPOD (Apple Lossless) but my main reason is to put some high res stuff through it via a laptop. Currently have a Sonos Z80 connected to a Pre vs2 and 8 power. Also a CD8x that has almost become redundant just spinning the odd CD (when it doesn't give a No disc error)

I've just noticed that Cyrus has announced a V2 engine for the Stream devices with the Qx DAC. This will support Apple Lossless and Hi Res files. It mentions an upgrade price of £620 to an existing Stream XP and a SRP of £2300.

How does the Pre amp and Dacs compare in the StreamXP to the likes of the kit you mention above?

etlmdhn

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rick

I have a barely used CD8x and Sonos Z80 connected to a PreVs2 and 8Power. The interconnects were inhouse from a now sadly defunct hifi retailer. I trialled them against the Cyrus analogue interconnects and they let more of the music through from what I can remember, the Cyrus strangling higher frequencies somewhat. Speakers are RuarkTemplars biwired with Exposure cables.

I moved over to Sonos based system when lossless formats came in (Apple Lossless). But find that the sound is rather muffled and 2 dimensional when compared to CD . So I'm now in the postion to try and sort that out by bypassing the Sonos DAc with a better DAC integrated into a Preamp. I've ignored Cyrus Streaming products in the past but as mentioned above they have announced a V2 engine that supports ALAC and high res. So it may be time to audition a Stream XP V2 QX. That way I can bypass the CD8x DAC for hopefully a better DAC and consign the Sonos to another room.

As for genres I listen to a broad spectrum from classical orchestral and guitar through to indie and some folkie stuff (acoustic guitar work). Not into Thrash metal or rap but others in the household may try to sneak some on the NAS.

I can accomodate around the £2k mark currently but hope to have more funds available in a couple of years to improve further.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
etlmdhn said:
I've just noticed that Cyrus has announced a V2 engine for the Stream devices with the Qx DAC. This will support Apple Lossless and Hi Res files. It mentions an upgrade price of £620 to an existing Stream XP and a SRP of £2300.

How does the Pre amp and Dacs compare in the StreamXP to the likes of the kit you mention above?

The Stream XP is at least on par (Cyrus actually claim slightly better) with the PreXP. Although the Stream XP has no analogue inputs, so bear that in mind :)

etlmdhn said:
Hi Rick

I have a barely used CD8x and Sonos Z80 connected to a PreVs2 and 8Power. The interconnects were inhouse from a now sadly defunct hifi retailer. I trialled them against the Cyrus analogue interconnects and they let more of the music through from what I can remember, the Cyrus strangling higher frequencies somewhat. Speakers are RuarkTemplars biwired with Exposure cables.

I moved over to Sonos based system when lossless formats came in (Apple Lossless). But find that the sound is rather muffled and 2 dimensional when compared to CD . So I'm now in the postion to try and sort that out by bypassing the Sonos DAc with a better DAC integrated into a Preamp. I've ignored Cyrus Streaming products in the past but as mentioned above they have announced a V2 engine that supports ALAC and high res. So it may be time to audition a Stream XP V2 QX. That way I can bypass the CD8x DAC for hopefully a better DAC and consign the Sonos to another room.

As for genres I listen to a broad spectrum from classical orchestral and guitar through to indie and some folkie stuff (acoustic guitar work). Not into Thrash metal or rap but others in the household may try to sneak some on the NAS.

I can accomodate around the £2k mark currently but hope to have more funds available in a couple of years to improve further.

Hi etimdhn

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly I am not a fan of Cyrus of pre amps as I don't feel their stand alone pre amps or the ones when used from their integrated amplifiers and pre/dac are on par with the quality achieved by their source or power amplifiers.

Anyway if space is at a premium than at similar retail prices as the offerings from Cyrus I'll highly recommend also looking at the excellent Antelope Audio Zodiac Plus Mastering DAC & Zodiac Gold 384kHz Pre/DAC's.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Plus-Mastering-DAC

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Gold-DAC

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts