Cyrus CDXT SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm interested in purchasing this transport for use with another DAC, but I'm curious about its price and/or qualities. If the new SE engine is also in the CD6 and CD8 CD players, which cost £800 and £1200 respectively, and include a DAC, audio output stage, various outputs and a power supply suitable for the audio, what is it about the CDXTSE transport only which justifies its £950 price tag?

This isn't an ignorant criticism - I genuinely want to know what's in there that makes it 'better' than the transports in the 6 and the 8!
The WHF reviews praise the SE engine but don't seem to answer this question about the CDXT specifically.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
All I can say is that with a purely digital player, there's no interference from any analogue circuitry, and the internal transformer doesn't have to supply any analogue circuitry as well as the digital side it already does. Generally, transports do sound better than CD players acting as transports, as the analogue circuitry is still in use.

Assuming the digital side of things is the same, a different rear panel will need to be made specifically, obviously there will be different printing on the facia regarding it's model number, and maybe some alterations inside due to the lack of analogue. Maybe someone from Cyrus technical can answer your question more deeply - I did call but they're not back in until Monday :)

Regards

David

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The cd6 has a single dac and is optical out only.The cd8 has dual dac and dual toroid to the cd6 single toroid.The transport only is a cd8 without onboard dac.I have compared the cdxt transport with a cdxtse transport and the new se sounds much better and can tell the difference from the first note.The system was 4 cyrus mono a dac xp and kef muon speakers.When i heard the difference i sent my cd8 x off for xtse upgrade.The dac x is the same as a dac xp the difference between them is the xp also comes with a preamp stage and that is a better preamp than the vs2.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Last year i bought a new cd 6 to use as a transport into my dac x and was never happy with the sound.After a week or 2 i took it back and exchanged it for a cd8x and that sounded much better than the 6 did with a fuller punchier sound.I don't know if the difference is because of the optical only of the 6 and the fact i used coax out from the cd8 but all i can say is the 8 sounded better.Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts