Cyrus CD8SE - Overkill?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my ageing Rotel RCD855 CDP and am considering the Cyrus CD8SE, haing first considered Naim CD5XS (but then ran short of the cash!).

In the short run I'm looking for a good quality CDP to go with my Naim NAC112, NAP150 and ATC SCM40s but in the medium term intent to match it with a DAC (looking at something along the lines of the new Naim DAC).

Given these plans, is the CD8SE at an appropriate level for medium term use as a transport only CDP (people on the Naim forum are often found to be linking the CDX2 as an appropriate match with the DAC!) or would I be as well to look to the CD6SE and save some cash (particularly as I wouldn't use a PSXR on a transport only spinner.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Robert

A

Anonymous

Try the CD6SE, it's not a million miles away in terms of sound vs performance and there are some great bargains to be had for both that model and the 8SE, simply because of the facelift (new bezel etc.).

Why not see a friendly dealer for a home demo of both? However, if you like the Naim sound why not partner with a 5i or something?

I've never found CDP making a "massive" difference myself.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Graham,

Yes - I'd looked briefly at the Naim CD5i but had rejected it as it doesn't have a digital output.

I agree that I need a friendly dealer (especially as it's difficullt to get out to a hi-fi shop) to demo the 6 and 8 to see how they differ. I'd never considered a home demo before but if I'm spending around the £1000 mark maybe it's not so unreasonable.

It's interesting to hear you say that for you CDP doesn't make that much difference - I'm hoping to be able to hear a good change from my 20 year old Rotel RCD855 - things must have moved on in that time!!???

Thanks again,

Robert

honeyquince:

Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my ageing Rotel RCD855 CDP and am considering the Cyrus CD8SE, haing first considered Naim CD5XS (but then ran short of the cash!).

In the short run I'm looking for a good quality CDP to go with my Naim NAC112, NAP150 and ATC SCM40s but in the medium term intent to match it with a DAC (looking at something along the lines of the new Naim DAC).

Given these plans, is the CD8SE at an appropriate level for medium term use as a transport only CDP (people on the Naim forum are often found to be linking the CDX2 as an appropriate match with the DAC!) or would I be as well to look to the CD6SE and save some cash (particularly as I wouldn't use a PSXR on a transport only spinner.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Robert

Hi Robert

I believe the CD6SE/8SE are good cd players however if in due course you intend to add a DAC (such as Naim's excellent new DAC) than i don't think they can justify the costs involved being used as transports only.

I would suggest that you consider the NAD C545BEE cd player. It is an excellent cd player that can punch well above it's weight (remember how good it sounded when we used it with your 8000A to listen to the ATC SCM40's). The C545's transport capabilities are also good enough as i often use it with the magnificent Chord Electronics QBD76 DAC and yet the C545BEE does not embarass itself at all.

Another cd player that is seriously worth considering is Yamaha's CD-S700 as it has got the same transport that is used in their CD-S1000/2000 players. The Yamaha transports/drives are probably the finest that i have seen up to £1k (and in some cases beyond).

Btw, how are you finding the SCM40's?

Thanks for your support.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick,

Good to hear from you again and thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the CDPs you mention.

The SCM40's continue to bring pleasure though one of them had to go back to ATC to replace a blown tweeter (it was good service though they failed to offer me a free upgrade!). I've started to play around with toe in to improve the image, needs more work - I remember that you had yours with quite a lot of toe in.

Thanks again,

Robert

koolkeith

Aug 27, 2009
Visit site
Did you have to pay for the replacement tweeter ? I thought they carried a six year guarantee. How did you manage to blow a tweeter, I thought they were bomb proof ?

A

Anonymous

No the tweeter was replaced quickly, free of charge and with no questions asked. No idea how it went but they're back up and running beautifully now. Long may that continue.

A

Anonymous

At the risk of being an evil temptor, if you're tempted to spend £1300 on the CD8SE (which is an amazing player), could you find another £300 and buy a CD XtSE+ and a cheap and cheerful DAC (to keep you going until you can afford another one). Then you're only really paying for the ultimate-quality Cyrus transport, rather than the onboard DAC in the 8...

A

Anonymous

If its any use I'm faced with the same dilemma. I've had a home dem of the new naim dac beig fed with the digital output from my arcam dv137 dvd player and the dac is the route I'm going down and then save for the transport. Could you do the same with your rotel?.

I know the cyrus cdp's do sound great and I've got wholly cyrus amplification so I am a cyrus fan(have been and an owner for 25yrs) but that transport and nearly all cyrus transport mechanisms have had more than their share let us say of detractors. Sadly I have to say all the demo's involving these players I have been to have been marred by a lot of disc's being spit out(and one of those was a home dem for which I had the player for 2 days). Now the se+ versions are out maybe things have improved but for such "great" players there seem to be an awful lot for sale on ebay! These issues really should not exist still in cdp's.... after all said and done this is no longer cutting edge stuff and if the slot loader in my skoda can manage it then a £1000 static player should.

In fact the last test I read in hfc march2010 of the new cyrus player even stated that they are still sensitive to certain disc's and they are still at cyrus updating the codes on the mech's.........whaaaaaaaat!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
koolkeith:Did you have to pay for the replacement tweeter ? I thought they carried a six year guarantee. How did you manage to blow a tweeter, I thought they were bomb proof ?

Tweeters go when they are underdriven and clipped over a long period of time. It's very likely that the amplier is not able to drive the speakers properly. I know the SCM40's very well as I've once considered purchasing them. I would actually put the money on getting another NAP150 and biamping.

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with Maxheadroom. As an owner of a cyrus 8se, i am thrilled by the sound. But sometimes a bit frustrated it wont play certain disks on a certain moment or skip halfway through a track which it played nicely an hour before or after (yes yes it's that strange). Which is to be honest ridiculous for a player in this price range. Well lets face it; in this day and age ridiculous for any cdp in any price range. So i dont think much of it as a transport. The typical thing is, Cyrus states that its the transport mechanism which does the magic in the sound. But it's like certain superstars in the music business; they can do magic, but sometimes they are a pain in the ... Which incidently causes you to lose the fun in their startling performance.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
I had problems with my first CD XT SE.

It was replaced under warranty with the XT SE+, which is the 2010 model. All of the 2010 SE players have a new slot loading aperture and software.

Mine has been 100% reliable. Mind you, should be with a list price of 1500 pounds.

If you are going to get one, make sure it is the 'facelift' 2010 model.

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jockey

I have been toying with the idea of getting the new XT SE + to replace my XT (tray) transport. For the amp, i just replaced my DAC XP with a DAC XP+. The sound is definitely better, with better definition and sound stage. I wonder if you would recommend my replacement plan or do you think my the sonic improvements will be marginal as compared to my current XT transport?

The other issue is of course reliability. Over the couple of years of playing the XT, never once has it given me any problems. It has played every kind of CD. I hate to spend and end up with reliability issues.

Any thoughts?? Appreciate it.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Dr B,

Even in my relatively modest system I heard a significant difference between the SE and SE+, with greater scale and definition. With my musical tastes of Dance/Electronica etc this manifests itself with greater base definition (not weight) and a bigger sound overall. Bear in mind this is with the standard DAC card in the 8XPd. With your exotic DAC XP+ (not jealous!) I suspect that improvments would be even more explicit.

I suppose if you add a PSX-R to the SE then those are the sort of improvements you would expect (this is what Cyrus have claimed to have done inside the SE+). Whether or not its worth the money is hard to say. Why not enquire about the cost of upgrade as opposed to ditching the whole machine?

spikey123

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldnt touch a Cd8SE with a bargepole. After having 2 that both threw wobblies, I couldnt recommend a player that will not play all cds. Even an Asda one can do that. There simply is no excuse..oh and mine were 2011 versions brand new and sealed.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Does the Rotel CDP have a DAC input? If so you could drive it from a laptop until you get your Naim DAC. The CD8SE is rediculous overkill as a transport.

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
As others have commented, I think it would be a waste of money to buy the Cyrus CD8se if you're ultimately only going to use it as a transport. I think Rick's suggestion of the Yamaha cd s700 is a good one. A beautifully finished player, which runs incredibly quietly and can be picked up new for under £300. Add a Rega Dac, and you'll have a great sounding combo and still have spent less than the Cyrus. Rega electronics are a good match with Naim and would work well in your system. If you have your heart set on the Naim Dac at some point in the future, then simply switch out the Rega (which I reckon will retain pretty decent second hand values). That said, question whether the Naim Dac would be overkill with your current Naim amps - you may well decide to upgrade your amps first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts