Source Improvements Naim DVD5 and CD5i

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I have recently been looking at improving some areas of my system, notibly its a bit short on bass and weight, although still punchy and dynamic.
Tried out Neat petite sx speakers recently and although better, I didn't like top end (too revealing or something too much) and not so good at lower volumes.

So thought about source as recently tried my DVD into Rega DAC and sounded quite good and definately more bass / weight.
So now I am in possession of a CD5i and DVD5 on home demo.
Last night mostly setting up with a quick test for each combination.

CD5i first and very lively, especially with the amp/speakers I use. Better bass presence than the SBT-Rega Dac combo which is good. Seemed easier to listen after plugging CD5i into my Wireworld Matrix block. Not sure that this is a step up from SBT - REGA DAC but early days. Sound is very entertaining and enjoyable as expected from Naim CDP.

On the DVD5, I was unsure what to expect from a mere DVD player, albeit a very expensive one.
Started with using SNAIC (taken from CD5i) direct to amp and switched off display. Must say I am quite stunned how good this sounds, especially after just trying the CD5i.

I think it might be more of an easier listen than CD5i and seemed to be less wall of sound and more like my SBT-Rega DAC with cleaner and significantly more detailed sound, certainly more so than SBT-DAC.

Only brief time so far but DVD5 looks most promising as brings more the Naim sound to my system with added weight and detail over what I have. Vocals simply excellent on DVD5 with more information being presented.

I did brief test using DVD5 as transport into DAC vs DVD5 audio out into amp via SNAIC and flipping between a couple of times did not show obvious differences or improvements, the Rega appearing to hold it's own or vice versa!!!

I therefore think although the SBT is a very good transport, it is a slight weakness in my system as a whole, as the AMP and SPEAKERS are delivering more with the DVD5 used in isolation or through the dac. Does this make sense???

looking forward to more listening and hopefully I will be thinking the same after few more sessions.
Ambrose

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
chebby said:
I am amazed you have a DVD5 out on demo. I thought they had been discontinued a long time ago.

Its a trade in or ex demo unit Chebby.

Have you heard one before?
Thanks.

I've not heard the DVD5 but I did own a CD5i-2/Nait 5i-2/NAT05/n-Sats system for a couple of years. I never saw or heard the DVD5 and it would have been well out of my budget anyway.

I know Andrew Everard owned/owns a DVD5 and has probably reviewed the CD5i at some time. Hopefully he will see your post.

I would not be entirely suprised if the DVD5 sounded better given that it cost about £2500 back when CD5is were still under £800.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Ambrose said:
chebby said:
I am amazed you have a DVD5 out on demo. I thought they had been discontinued a long time ago.

Its a trade in or ex demo unit Chebby.

Have you heard one before?
Thanks.

I've not heard the DVD5 but I did own a CD5i-2/Nait 5i-2/NAT05/n-Sats system for a couple of years. I never saw or heard the DVD5 and it would have been well out of my budget anyway.

I know Andrew Everard owned/owns a DVD5 and has probably reviewed the CD5i at some time. Hopefully he will see your post.

I would not be entirely suprised if the DVD5 sounded better given that it cost about £2500 back when CD5is were still under £800.

The cd5i-1 and Nait 5i-2 gel nicely, if just in need of some refinement. Certainly makes you sit up and take notice!

Hopefully Andrew will see post and be interested to know his take on this. I have researched a bit and apparently Naim put a lot of effort into the CD replay of the DVD5 as they were concerned about cd parts becoming unavailble or something. It looks like the DVD5 is a very good transport and yes, I would not dream (could not afford) to spending £2500 on a DVD player!!!

Thanks

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts