Cyrus amp offer

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Just saw with interest the Cyrus offers in the news section as I'm building myself up for an amp / turntable upgrade. Has anyone experience with the 6xp/8xpd coupled with MARS6? Also, would the DAC in the 6/8xpd be an improvement over the DAC in my NAD C545BEE cd unit?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
bluenose:

Also, would the DAC in the 6/8xpd be an improvement over the DAC in my NAD C545BEE cd unit?

Bluenose,

Is that a trick question?
emotion-7.gif

Ronald

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
nooo. I would presume bypassing the nad dac for the cyrus would be better but to what degree? If minimal I may be better looking for a different amp although the current cyrus offer does seem good

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
It's all down to personal preference. You'll need to demo the amp to see if you like it. The DAC in the Cyrus amp will more than likely make a difference to the overall sound of your set up, but whether you like it or not will require a demo. I wouldn't get bogged down over which DAC is 'better'. I like the Cyrus 'sound'. Some don't.

A

Anonymous

JohnnyC:It's all down to personal preference. You'll need to demo the amp to see if you like it. The DAC in the Cyrus amp will more than likely make a difference to the overall sound of your set up, but whether you like it or not will require a demo. I wouldn't get bogged down over which DAC is 'better'. I like the Cyrus 'sound'. Some don't.Very well put. Just compared some expensive DACs with my cheapo V-DAC and decided I liked what I had. No question some were better, but in terms of presentation, I preferred what I already had.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
sound is obviously the criteria, I havent been too impressed since getting the NAD cd, its less harsh but I prefer the sound from the ROKU, (no digi out tho but for £40?) at least with Radio Paradise. The speakers I'm happy with but feel I'm ready for a new vinyl spinner, although some shortcomings must be down to original record production. And as I have a budget I didnt when I bought the NAD thats why I started thinking of the 8xpd but now theres a 6xpd.

bluenose

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
thinks I'll be lifting the mattress soon. talking of sound tho, when I bought the MA's they where well over budget, didnt like the sound of speakers being played thru Naim or Roksan amps, it was only when I took my cyrus amp in then stepped up the range and settled on the rs6's

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I've also got some MA RS6s and have been trialling some integrated stereo amps in the last week or so. I was previously using my Arcam AVR300 for both stereo and home cinema. So using the Arcam pre-outs I tried the following :-

Cyrus 6XP - Big quality change. Much more detail. On less produced tracks I found the bass to be wooley and the treble to be overly harsh. On the well produced tracks it was excellent.

NAIM Nait 5i - Similar to Cyrus quality and detail wise. Bass reigned in and treble at a more acceptable level. Seemed to need more volume to get the same levels as the Cyrus.

Leema Pulse - Still to test

Source is mainly 192Kbps AAC files + some Apple lossless fed from a NAS.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

The 6/8xpd wil go fine with the RS6's. It'll certainly produce a more lively sound than your current NAD.

The new Cyrus generation of amps and CDPs, are they so much different from the 8VS2 tonally? For years, and from personal experience of trialling Cyrus 8VS2, Monitor Audio Silver have always been a NO NO.

SteveR750

There is a world of difference in presentation between the NAD house sound and Cyrus. If you are a fan of NAD, then you might be disappointed with the Cyrus, I know I was. I would have thought that a Nait 5i / Kandy K2 or even a Leema Pulse would suit someone from the NAD side of the tracks.

EDIT D'oh just seen you have a Cyrus amp, and it's your NAD CDP you are talking about, so pretty much pointless advice!
emotion-10.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts