Cyrus 8vs2 amp for Rega system

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a full Rega system as in my signature, and I can say I truly enjoy it. Just today I found out I could grab a Cyrus 8vs2 amp in mint condition for a very attractive price. My question is: would it be an upgrade over the Brio, and would it match well with my setup?

Thanks as always for the precious help!

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
No suggestions?
emotion-3.gif

matthewpiano

The question is, what do you wish to achieve with the change?

The Brio is quite a unique sounding amp and literally throws the music at you with more gusto than anything else I've heard. What it doesn't do quite so well is keep control of things. With some speakers bass can get unruly and there could be more subtlety in the sound.

The Cyrus would be an upgrade in the sense that it would give you plenty of gusto but also more control, both tonally across the frequency range and in terms of keepin the bass in check. I think you'd find it a much more focused sound and I don't see why it shouldn't match pretty well with your Apollo, although you would obviously need to audition the two together.

However, would you be better off with a Rega Mira 3? You seem to like the Rega sound and the Cyrus kit really is quite a different proposition. The Mira 3 retains the Rega characteristics but in a much more refined and controlled way than the Brio 3. Could be worth a comparative audition - your Brio 3, the Cyrus, and the Mira 3.

The Cyrus might prove to be the right upgrade but don't just jump into it because it is a good buy.

A

Anonymous

It will defrinately be an upgrade to the rega amp. I have the apollo with the 8vs2 and it does sound very good. I have the leema xero with them, so the rega speakers should be just fine with the cyrus.

Also in the future you could add a second hand psx-r to it and fill the sound out a bit.

Go for it!

A

Anonymous

You beat me to it Matthew. I would consider the Mira3 as an upgrade instead as you'll maintain the excellent Rega synergy. As much as the Cyrus is a decent amp, the Mira3 is better to my ears. Rega have also started a sale where the Mira3 is £448.

See if you can audition one before you dive in.

steffy72004

Jan 25, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Matthew for the well thought analysis.

Yes, I like the Rega sound, engaging but never fatiguing, just I feel that I'd like perhaps a bit more detail sometimes and, as you say, sometimes a bit more control. I had chance to experience Cyrus sound and I liked it, even if in that occasion I found it a bit too "in the face" and slightly harsh (was Cyrus amp and cdp with MA RX6). You think that chancing the Brio with Cyrus amp would balance anyway well, achieving what I look for, or maybe would emphasize other unwanted apsects ( for example in my opinion sometimes with vocals Apollo seems a bit bright)?

Mira 3 is a good advice, I was already thinking on that, just where I live now new costs more than double than the price for I could get the Cyrus.........

matthewpiano

I think your present brightness with vocals is coming from the Brio 3 rather than the Apollo, but you really need to listen to the Cyrus in your system to be able to make any proper decisions.

Given the content of your further post I'd say if you were going to change brand the natural move up would be to a Naim Nait 5i. Excellent synergy with Rega, more control and detail than the Brio 3, but similarly involving and gutsy.

Your system is at a delicate stage where you like it and just want to improve on a couple of aspects so I think you should avoid doing anything without listening first. Even if you end up have to wait a bit longer to save for a Mira 3 or Nait 5i, it might be the best outcome in the long run. I'm not saying to avoid the Cyrus but just do some auditioning first to make sure it is the best choice for your system and the sound you want to achieve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts