Cyrus 8 amp and others in price range

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a cyrus 8 amp. see:
http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/amps/8-integrated-amplifier

I know its pretty old, but it is cyrus.

I am in the market to sell it and purchase another for around £350.
I am particularly interested in Rotel amps.

Im wondering whether im better off keeping the cyrus 8 or opting for rotel ra-04se,ra-05se,ra-06-se, or even the new rotel ra-10, ra-11.
Maybe even another second hand cyrus amp.

But I dont have time to audition.
I just wanted to know what sort of sounds differences I can expect to achieve if going for these models.

Other requirements include 2 sets of speakers attached, tonal controls (necessary?), speaker balance.
I know im probably better off going second hand, but wanted some advice from other people.

I mainly listen to orchestral classical and chillout electronic.
I will be looking for detail, soundstage to impress me.

A

Anonymous

Hi, the cyrus 8 is a great amp, i think they sell on ebay for around 300-400 pounds, i bought a cyrus 8 from ebay 5 years ago for £420, it's a bloody good amp. What don't you like about your cyrus amp?

I don't think you will be able to buy a better used amp than the cyrus for £350 If the sound of your system is not your cup of tea then sell the cyrus on, in my opinion it will be a (synergy) sideways move rather than an upgrade.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure if it pairs well with the Audiolabs DAC.

I think with this cyrus amp, it need to be paired with other cyrus components.

I also want to know how my cyrus 8 compares to other newer cyrus amps.

The problem with the amp is that it doesnt do anything to keep you listening to it.

I know cyrus is supposed to have lots of detail, but it doesnt do it for me.

I want to be in the audience for classical music, listening to all the detail and soundstage while being moved by the vibrations.

By the way I cant even find that rotel amp anywhere now-even second hand.

Im wondering if the new models are any better, but technology doesnt change as much with amps as with other components.

I just dont have the time to compare differing amps in demo'ing so that Im happy with my purchase.

But I am keen on purchasing second hand for better bargains.

Any other amps that meet my criteria, much appreciated.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd add a power amp (8 power or X power) if I was you. Works wonders and can be had easily on Ebay or re-conditioned from a dealer (which is what I did). In my experience it gives the oooomf that Cyrus can sometimes lack, and really brings things to life (more detail, better soundstage, bass hitting your chest etc.). That's if you like the Cyrus sound of course!

pkerai said:
I currently have a cyrus 8 amp. see: http://www.cyrusaudio.com/product-archive/amps/8-integrated-amplifier I know its pretty old, but it is cyrus. I am in the market to sell it and purchase another for around £350. I am particularly interested in Rotel amps. Im wondering whether im better off keeping the cyrus 8 or opting for rotel ra-04se,ra-05se,ra-06-se, or even the new rotel ra-10, ra-11. Maybe even another second hand cyrus amp. But I dont have time to audition. I just wanted to know what sort of sounds differences I can expect to achieve if going for these models. Other requirements include 2 sets of speakers attached, tonal controls (necessary?), speaker balance. I know im probably better off going second hand, but wanted some advice from other people. I mainly listen to orchestral classical and chillout electronic. I will be looking for detail, soundstage to impress me.

Cyrus is pretty distinct sounding, so I'd stick with the same make. You can pick-up the 8VS or VS2 versions at good prices.

Would ignore Nad. They're good amps but the polar opposite to the Cyrus sound. Rotel would be the closest, tonally, to Cyrus with your budget.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is saying Rotel 1062 as the best amplifier they have made in the last ten years, mean compared to all there stereo amps.
Im sure the Rotel 1520 is better, no?
Furthermore, Ive been searching the net for a Rotel 1062 second hand with no success.
Any suggestions?

Whats wrong with NAD, some other audiophile magazines say it is excellent for detail and soundstage.
It is complex and subtle music, without any colouration which is important to me.
Large orchestral classical and chillout electronica.

Marantz has too much colouration on complex music.

What about Rotel? (they say its not as coloured and bright as the marantz, but more of an allrounder) am I better off with NAD for this type of usage?

pkerai said:
Is saying Rotel 1062 as the best amplifier they have made in the last ten years, mean compared to all there stereo amps. Im sure the Rotel 1520 is better, no? Furthermore, Ive been searching the net for a Rotel 1062 second hand with no success. Any suggestions? Whats wrong with NAD, some other audiophile magazines say it is excellent for detail and soundstage. It is complex and subtle music, without any colouration which is important to me. Large orchestral classical and chillout electronica. Marantz has too much colouration on complex music. What about Rotel? (they say its not as coloured and bright as the marantz, but more of an allrounder) am I better off with NAD for this type of usage?

Nothing wrong with the Nad at all. The point I was making earlier was the Nad and Cyrus are too very different animals: The Nad is bass-heavy and warm in presentation while the Cyrus is lean, detailed and pacey. Both amps will excel in the right set-up. The only way you'll know for sure is to compare the two and see which one 'does it' for you.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
ok, so here it is.
I now have the Cyrus 8 amp and NAD C355BEE at home for direct comparison.
Im just waiting for a few audio interconnects to arrive so I can test the two out thoroughly with various styles of music.
I have plenty of time to isolate components so I can rate them more accurately.
TAKE NOTE WHAT HIFI REVIEWERS - you need more detail without the iliterate slang in your reviews!

I wish there were more retailers that allowed home demo'ing for cheaper as well as more expensive equipment, but anyway here I go:
(By the way can anyone reccommend stockists of interconnects who allow home demo, either for exchange or full refund, if not satisfied).

I will post once Ive done sufficient tests.........

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Initial testing:
NAD is excellent, maybe not as forward or bright as the cyrus.
But for classical its a no brainer........
Cyrus must really have made changes to the sound of their amps since this model for it to get such high ratings.

Im just waiting for a few interconnects to arrive: Profigold 1m, QED Performance 2 1m, Audioquest Alpha Snake 0.5m, maybe Chord Crimsonplus 1m.
And my Audiolab 8200CD DAC to be returned after a software upgrade (it better not sound worse then before).
I will therefore have more variables to test in my setup.
I just wished consumer based testing had some standards or even a scientific method, such as ....variable isolation.
I suppose this sort of ambiguity just increases revenues for manufacturers who can exploit or even collude with large scale, little substance marketing reviews.
And then they talk about global warming!!!
Its all about profit, its sad isnt it.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
with cyrus amps its all about matching them to your speakers (or invariably buying new speakers). i am really not surprised that the nad amp is giving you more of what you want with your speakers.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, What speakers go with the cyrus 8 - both bookshelf and floorstanders.
With varying music genres too.

Furthermore, what can you say about the development of cyrus amps since the cyrus 8.

I mean the newest cyrus 8a got reviews stating its open and spacious.
Have cyrus improved/changed their sound?

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Rick @ Musicraft.

I must thank you for your suggestions and insight into such matters.
I have purchased the NAD C355BEE second hand for £230.

I was wondering how this compares to the otehr NAD models and in particular the C370 you said.
Ive been reading that the 370 is excellent, but has over heating issues.
But then again the 355 doesnt have rave reviews but doesnt seem to have over heating problems.
Can you shed some light on this.

Regards.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts