datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Will either of the above work without an amp? The Cyrus 6XP is an amp.
emotion-43.gif

If 6XP, you can only play the iPod using a 3.5mm to phono cable. 6XPd you can connect it via USB cable and the dac in the amp (the 'd' bit) will convert the signal for far better sound quality.

A

Anonymous

yes of course its an amp
emotion-10.gif
not sure what my brain was doing there, i actually have a brand new one sat under my bed less than a month old, i have no cd player or speakers yet. I was going to buy the cyrus 6 cd or the audiolab 8200 cd to go with it but now im thinking of not bothering with the cd player at all and using the money to upgrade the 6xp to the 6xpd or even a used 8xpd. paid £725 for the cyrus 6xp unregistered with receipt so i dont think i'll lose to much on the unit.

any thoughts or advice on this would be apreciated, i'll be looking to go with B&W cm7 or possibly cm8's with the set up.

thanks

JohnnyC

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
You can upgrade the 6xp to the 'd' variant for about £400. Or you could look at an external DAC - Rega/Dac Magic et al at between £300 to £500, which I'd imagine would give you far more value.

You can then connect your ipod via, for example, an Onkyo ND-S1 (£100) to the DAC. This would give you a neat set-up.

The Audiolab 8200cd gives you the best of both worlds as you can connect your ipod to it via an Onkyo (or similar) and you also have the cd player facility.

Personally I'd go for the Audiolab option, as it has a number of digital inputs, a high quality DAC set-up and a cd player, albeit more expensive than the other two options. If you don't want the cd player option, I'd be more inclined to look at an external DAC solution.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Right - I was wrong about the USB cable, you need the Onkyo as above
emotion-10.gif
. I second the advice on the audiolab - as then you still have a CD player (presuming you have CDs) and the DAC in it is very highly-regarded - it's worth the cost over the 'd' upgrade. Keep the the 6XP as an amp - no point selling it at the moment as it's already on sale at the major Cyrus dealers! (I've got my one advertised for sale for a not unreasonable price (I paid £850 last August, rrp is £925) and I cannot shift the thing, and despite its award-winning tag I've not even had any interest).

A

Anonymous

ok thanks for the info, im not sure if i want or even need a cd player any more from what ive read i can copy my cd's to mp3 lossless and the sound quality will be the same as the original cd, so im thinking if its worth saving the money on the cd player side and using it else where.

If the above info is not quite right im sure youll correct me but with that in mind and with about £1000/£1500 to spend (not taking the Cyrus 6 xp into account, still think i might get rid of it) would the audiolab 8200cd and Onkyo still be a good buy and would it be worth spending the extra and getting the audiolab 8200cdq?

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if your going to rip your cd's to lossless and play from your computer then i think you should just get a dac, as above the rega dac seems to be great value for money and give you plenty more in the kitty for good speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts