Cyrus 6XP with Proac Tablette Anniversary?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am planning to buy a Cyrus 6XP to go with a set of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers.

My intention is to replace the BX2 in the future by a pair of Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers, but i don't know if the 6XP has enough power for the low sensitive Proac's ? I only listen to music at moderate levels.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Your 6xp will certainly have to work a lot harder compared to the easy load of the MA BX2's. For moderate levels, it'll drive them fine, but it's down to whether the Tablettes will sound lively enough at that volume. A good current delivery isn't just needed for higher volumes, it's needed at lower volumes too, otherwise the speaker might appear to sound a little soft and dull. I would recommend adding a power amplifier at some stage - either the 8 Power, or preferably the X Power.

A home demo would be wise, as I find about 6-10dB extra is needed in store for similar volume levels.

ErwinC said:
I am planning to buy a Cyrus 6XP to go with a set of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers.

My intention is to replace the BX2 in the future by a pair of Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers, but i don't know if the 6XP has enough power for the low sensitive Proac's ? I only listen to music at moderate levels.

Hi Erwinc

What amplifier and source component/s are you using at the moment?

Interconnects and speakers cables?

What do you generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Erwinc

Vincent CD-S6 cd player (will be replaced by Cyrus cdp) and Yamaha A-S1000.

Kimber 4TC speaker cable and QED silver spiral interconnects.

Jazz

The size of your room?

24x15ft

Your listening distance?

8ft

ErwinC said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Erwinc

Vincent CD-S6 cd player (will be replaced by Cyrus cdp) and Yamaha A-S1000.

Kimber 4TC speaker cable and QED silver spiral interconnects.

Jazz

The size of your room?

24x15ft

Your listening distance?

8ft

Hi Erwinc

Thanks for your reply.

I'll recommend that you carry on with your Yamaha A-S1000. One unit which will also work well with Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers and suit the genre of music that you lisiten to :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
I'll recommend that you carry on with your Yamaha A-S1000. One unit which will also work well with Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers and suit the genre of music that you lisiten to :)

Thanks for your reply. I already sold the Yamaha as i wanted a Cyrus amp for the better timing and more detail than the Yamaha. The Cyrus is also more musical than the Yamaha according to me.

What other compact speakers will be a good match for the Cyrus 6XP? Monitor Audio GX50?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Since i frequently switch material ;) , i was also thinking on buying a Marantz PM6004/CD6004 combination to go with the MA BX2 for the moment. I have heard that this Marantz combo is a very good match for the BX2. Can somebody confirm this?

Later on, i can buy an amplifier that matches my future Proac Tablette Anniversary speakers because i really want these speakers after having owned a pair of Proac Tablette Reference 8 signature speakers in the past. I like the timing and detail of the smaller Proac speakers and Cyrus components.

Hi ErwinC

Just to clarify - have you already got the 6XP?

Yes, i find the Marantz PM6004/CD6004 combination to work well with BX2 speakers. Although at a similar price i also feel a combination of the NAD C326BEE/C545BEE does an even better job with BX2 speakers.

When you owned Tablette Reference 8 signature speakers what electeonics were you using with them please?

Btw, please correct me if i am wrong however weren't you last year also looking at a Plinius amplifier?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi ErwinC

Just to clarify - have you already got the 6XP?

Yes, i find the Marantz PM6004/CD6004 combination to work well with BX2 speakers. Although at a similar price i also feel a combination of the NAD C326BEE/C545BEE does an even better job with BX2 speakers.

When you owned Tablette Reference 8 signature speakers what electeonics were you using with them please?

Btw, please correct me if i am wrong however weren't you last year also looking at a Plinius amplifier?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick,

I don't have a 6XP yet. I am still thinking about it.

When i owned the Proac TR8S i used a Yamaha A-S1000 amplifier and Vincent CD-S6 cd player.

I have never been looking for a Plinius amplifier.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I would recommend adding a power amplifier at some stage - either the 8 Power, or preferably the X Power.

Do you mean adding an X Power to an 8XP?

As I mentioned earlier, if you have to start with the 6xp, I would recommend adding an 8 Power or preferably an X Power at a later date to make sure you're driving them properly. You can then "upgrade" to, or replace your 6xp, with a PreXp.

If you're only going to stick with an integrated amplifier long term, I'd go with the 8xp. Otherwise, a pre/power would be more ideal.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
If you're only going to stick with an integrated amplifier long term, I'd go with the 8xp. Otherwise, a pre/power would be more ideal.

I prefer using an integrated amplifier. Do you think soundwise the 8XP will match the Proac Tablette anniversary? I like the Cyrus 8xp sound and i like the Proac Tablette Ref 8 signature very much. Both have very good detail and timing abilities.

I found the Cyrus 8xp not able to drive the Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers properly compared to amplifiers like the Yamaha A-S1000/A-S2000 and Vincent SV-234/236. But i don't know if the Cyrus 8xp will have the same problem with the Proac Tablette Anniversary. I am also not able to listen to these Proac speakers before buying but i am sure i will like the sound. ;)

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:

I was wrong in my above reply. I did ask some questions about a Plinius 9100 amplifier some time ago. I already forgot. :oops:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
I prefer using an integrated amplifier. Do you think soundwise the 8XP will match the Proac Tablette anniversary? I like the Cyrus 8xp sound and i like the Proac Tablette Ref 8 signature very much. Both have very good detail and timing abilities.

I found the Cyrus 8xp not able to drive the Dynaudio Focus 110 speakers properly compared to amplifiers like the Yamaha A-S1000/A-S2000 and Vincent SV-234/236. But i don't know if the Cyrus 8xp will have the same problem with the Proac Tablette Anniversary. I am also not able to listen to these Proac speakers before buying but i am sure i will like the sound. ;)

The 110's are a 4ohm load and about 85dB load, which will be demanding on partnering amplification. The Tablettes are 86.5dB (so about 50% more efficient) and an 8ohm load. This will be less demanding than the Dynaudios, but will still require a bit of current to run properly. I've ran the 8xp with the ATC SCM11's at quite high levels for the duration of a (loud) album - it got quite warm, which is understandable, but there were no nasties - so if it can cope with those, it can certainly cope with the Tablettes.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I've ran the 8xp with the ATC SCM11's at quite high levels for the duration of a (loud) album - it got quite warm, which is understandable, but there were no nasties - so if it can cope with those, it can certainly cope with the Tablettes.

Ok, thanks. That is useful information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts