CYRUS 6XP or 82DAC

sound31

Feb 9, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to upgrade/change my Ampli Audiolab 8200A, I am looking in secon hand Cyrus, and I have 2 offers.
1- Cyrus 6 xp in great conditions for 300 EUR
2- Cyrus 82 Dac + PXR2 perfect condition for 1200 EUR

I know that the Cyrus 82 DAC is a much better product, but do you think is worth's the price difference

Ampli will run with denon dp 400 + Rega Planet + HP ATHOM SCIROCCO 1 in a 45 m2 room

Many thanks for your advice

elliswils

Nov 11, 2021
Visit site
Can't speak for the 6 XP but I have and luv the 82 DAC but there are a couple of things I would point out and may or may not be true for both, I don't know.

I find the amp a little bright in the mid and higher bass range. Not an issue if you run a subwoofer(s) BUT I also find that the pre-outs are fairy low gain (volume) so you need a sub with a volume *** on it. Not all of them have these days.

Otherwise, the 82 DAC is great, has all the in and outs you could want and a decent DAC too. I like it that much that I'm thinking of going with the QXR upgrade if I can find a decent write up/critique on it before I buy.

sound31

Feb 9, 2022
Visit site
I do not really care of the DAC as I aready have one, I care about the sound quality
I now they are also different power, but as I use small HP Atohm sirocco 1:
Bookshielf speaker :2 ways bass reflex
Power handling :70 Wrms
Peak power :120 W
Impedance :6 ohms
Efficiency :88 dB/2.83V/1M
Frequency response :50 Hz - 25 kHz
Frequency roll off :3.5 kHz
Midbass unit :LD130CR04
Tweeter :SD20ND04F
Filtering slope :1rst order with tweeter delay
Cabinet :MDF 19 mm
Finish :Satin Black / Satin Rosewood / Satin White
Dimensions :320*180*230 (mm) 12.5*7*9 (inch)
Weight :8 kg / 18 lbs
I do not know if I have interrest of the extra power between the 2

In any case I want to be sure to have an upgrade vs my actually Audiolab 8200A

Gray

No Cyrus expert to help to made the good choice ?

Thanks
No expert but I have owned a Cyrus 8 amp for 20 years.
Not sure one of your options would be worth 4 times the price of the other, even if it does include the PSXR2.
Although you can never really have too much power, I doubt you'd find the 6XP lacked power - and If you're not bothered about a DAC, it might be the better choice.
It comes down to how you feel the Cyrus sound compares to your Audiolab....and which sound you prefer....as you're the expert on that 👍

Reactions: Al ears
For a 45m2 room I’d have thought you really needed larger speakers to drive it effectively. However, if it’s more open-plan, and you listen in one area then they’re probably the right size.

Either way, the less expensive Cyrus is surely all you need for the current speakers, unless you’re embarking on an upgrade plan.

sound31

Feb 9, 2022
Visit site
Regarding speaker i am thinking to upgrade to Atohm gt1, but still same rage of speaker
Bookshielf speaker :2 ways bass reflex
Power handling :100 Wrms
Peak power :200 W
Impedance :6 ohms
Efficiency :89 dB/2.83V/1M
Frequency response :45 Hz - 30 kHz
Frequency roll off :2.5 kHz
Midbass unit :LD150CR04
Tweeter :SD28ND04RD
Filtering slope :1rst order with tweeter delay
Cabinet :19mm MDF with multilayers curved sides
Finish :Piano gloss lacquer Black / White / Rosewood / Wengnut / RAL as option
Dimensions :330*200*265 (mm) 13*8*10.5 (inch)
Weight :12 kg / 27 lb

I am thinking so to save money and going to Cyrus 6 xp, and maybe later add a cyrus power amp to upgrade, yes even if the room is big but the listen aerea is one aerea

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts