Cutie CLiC - Got mine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Its been awhile since the last time I did some serious listening to hi res digital music on my CLiC. Eversince TT came to my life, I have abandoned the digital era. So, coupled with the flu I am having now, I have downloaded Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicles 20 Greatest Hits from HDTracks. Its at 96kHz/24 bit in FLAC. And just kick back listening with the comfort of a remote control.
Stick the thumbdrive to the CLiC, and fired away. First track was of course Have You Ever Seen The Rain. My my my..it sounded so good. At times it sounded like it was recorded in mono. CCR is a band that mixes subtlety in the guitar riffs and lyrics with a growling vocals. Other tracks like Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising were mesmerizing as well. The hi res files was definitely a step up from the MP3 version I have of this album.
The ambience of that old era is still there in the music but at the same time a new life was injected into these files. Its not amplified but it sounded very airy but still had that musical impact on me.
Need to balance between TT and hi res from now on.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
El Hefe said:
Its been awhile since the last time I did some serious listening to hi res digital music on my CLiC. Eversince TT came to my life, I have abandoned the digital era. So, coupled with the flu I am having now, I have downloaded Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicles 20 Greatest Hits from HDTracks. Its at 96kHz/24 bit in FLAC. And just kick back listening with the comfort of a remote control.
Stick the thumbdrive to the CLiC, and fired away. First track was of course Have You Ever Seen The Rain. My my my..it sounded so good. At times it sounded like it was recorded in mono. CCR is a band that mixes subtlety in the guitar riffs and lyrics with a growling vocals. Other tracks like Proud Mary and Bad Moon Rising were mesmerizing as well. The hi res files was definitely a step up from the MP3 version I have of this album.
The ambience of that old era is still there in the music but at the same time a new life was injected into these files. Its not amplified but it sounded very airy but still had that musical impact on me.

Hi EH

I have found Hi-Res stuff really narrows the gap with vinyl, if not closes it altogether (depending on digital source/TT).

A

Anonymous

Erm, those tracks are presumably transferred from a tape. So, like the vinyl, they are 13 or 14 bits at best. What did you expect from upsampling to "hi-res"?

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
jaybee said:
Erm, those tracks are presumably transferred from a tape. So, like the vinyl, they are 13 or 14 bits at best. What did you expect from upsampling to "hi-res"?

Regardless of numberof bits, I do expect a good improvement from the MP3 version, being the tracks are upsampled or digitalised to 96/24.

From my posting, you can see that the download met my expectation.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
El Hefe said:

Hi EH

I have found Hi-Res stuff really narrows the gap with vinyl, if not closes it altogether (depending on digital source/TT).

Yes I do agree..nowadays with the right kit and source, the SQ can be close enough to LP.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
So far, there is still no news whether Musical Fidelity will have an app for iOS or Android to be able to control the CLiC. However, I have found an app that is the next best thing....an app that streams music directly from iPad/iPhone/iPod wirelessly. Very close to Airplay.

The App is MediaConnect and cost USD 4.99 from iTunes.

Once connected to the network the CLiC is on, it will detect the CLiC. Then its just a matter of choosing your song on your device and it will start playing on CLiC, complete with the album cover.

It also works the opposite. You can use the CLiC remote to choose the songs on your device. Under the Media Servers, CLiC can detect the iPad/iPhone.

So far I have let it run overnight with no lag and intermittent signal.

I am not sure at what rate the streaming is but it does sound different from plugging the iPad directly to CLiC using USB cable. It sounds more airy and not compressed.

A

Anonymous

I just don't seem to get it. A lot of streamers came out lately, quite a few substantially over the 1000 quid mark. What do these items bring over a 250 Logitech Squeezbox Touch and a decent 500 dac? Am I missing something?

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
El Hefe said:
So far, there is still no news whether Musical Fidelity will have an app for iOS or Android to be able to control the CLiC.

That's interesting. I'm surprised there isn't a IOS and droid remote for the Clic. The stream 700 (Transport used in the Clic) shown on the manufactures website suggest that one is available. Bit of MF branding and it'd be done surely?

http://www.streamunlimited.com/v3/en/audio_streaming_client.html

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Musicbox said:
I just don't seem to get it. A lot of streamers came out lately, quite a few substantially over the 1000 quid mark. What do these items bring over a 250 Logitech Squeezbox Touch and a decent 500 dac? Am I missing something?

I guess some people prefer a one box solution: streamer + DAC. Also direct digital connection to iPod/iPad.

Since you brought it up, can SB Touch handle FLAC? I was thinking of SB Touch at one point but they dont sell it here in Malaysia.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
iemslie said:
El Hefe said:
So far, there is still no news whether Musical Fidelity will have an app for iOS or Android to be able to control the CLiC.

That's interesting. I'm surprised there isn't a IOS and droid remote for the Clic. The stream 700 (Transport used in the Clic) shown on the manufactures website suggest that one is available. Bit of MF branding and it'd be done surely?

http://www.streamunlimited.com/v3/en/audio_streaming_client.html

Something about getting a license from Apple I suppose....

By the way...I have replied to your query on the MF HPA as well.

A

Anonymous

El Hefe said:
Since you brought it up, can SB Touch handle FLAC? I was thinking of SB Touch at one point but they dont sell it here in Malaysia.

Yes, definately. I'm using FLAC level 0 files from my Windows 7 laptop streamed to the SBT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts