Crummiest albums/artists...

... in your collection, regardless of genre.

One that springs to mind in my collection is a 1976 Hollies album 'Russian Roulette'. The real low point (track) is hilariously titled track called "Wiggle That Wotsit". It's their take on Disco music, and I like to think it's a parady of the genre -- sadly it is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwrbNHVWsc

*biggrin*

plastic penguin said:
... in your collection, regardless of genre.

One that springs to mind in my collection is a 1976 Hollies album 'Russian Roulette'. The real low point (track) is hilariously titled track called "Wiggle That Wotsit". It's their take on Disco music, and I like to think it's a parady of the genre -- sadly it is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwrbNHVWsc

*biggrin*

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm away working at the moment, so can't see inside the black hole of my CD cabinet.... But, I do know I bought this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdzfTJIa8_A

Surely that counts?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Several years ago Uncut magazine gave 5 stars, album of the year, etc. to an album called The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads by a band called Lift To Experience. Off the back of the review and the track on the free Uncut CD ( which admittedly wasn't too bad ) I bought the double CD. My god, to this day it's the worst album I've ever heard, utter garbage. Unlistenable. One track consisted of 20+ minutes of silence!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Damon Albarn - Monkey, Journey to the West

I don't think I managed to hear it all the way through before I consigned it to the bin. Utter tosh!

tonky

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Radiohead "Ok Computer"- A really good band that started to complicate their music exactly with this so overrated album. 1st and 2nd were really good but the rest subsequently getting worse...Pity they decided to change their music direction ( not the genre itself, I love electronica but only in their case I mean ).

stereoman said:
Radiohead "Ok Computer"- A really good band that started to complicate their music exactly with this so overrated album. 1st and 2nd were really good but the rest subsequently getting worse...Pity they decided to change their music direction ( not the genre itself, I love electronica but only in their case I mean ).
Thanks for rationalising my dislike. I consider myself pretty catholic when it comes to music, though I have preferences obviously. I thought I'd 'get it', but simply didn't!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I'm with you guys on 'OK Computer'. It would come very high on the 'Crum-o-meter'. The only worthwhile track is No Surprises.

By contrast, The Bends was very impressive.

I felt the same with Never Mind by Nirvana. I was the right age/generation yet found it the biggest load of poo I'd ever heard and sold it to a workmate.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
nopiano said:
stereoman said:
Thanks for rationalising my dislike. I consider myself pretty catholic when it comes to music, though I have preferences obviously. I thought I'd 'get it', but simply didn't!

Nothing (almost) by force :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, I beg to differ regarding OK Computer.

You can keep The Bends, which I always found uninspiring.

OK Computer marks a moment of departure and innovation, even if Radiohead were borrowing from the likes of Aphex Twin and moving toward a more heavily processed, artifical sound (which was really the point given the subject matter).

Similarly, the band's more atonal, discordant tracks suggested a feeling of discomfort that suited their observations on contemporary life.

Granted, their later stuff takes some work and can sound overwhelming/oppressive (which again is kind of the point).

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
Several years ago Uncut magazine gave 5 stars, album of the year, etc. to an album called The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads by a band called Lift To Experience. Off the back of the review and the track on the free Uncut CD ( which admittedly wasn't too bad ) I bought the double CD. My god, to this day it's the worst album I've ever heard, utter garbage. Unlistenable. One track consisted of 20+ minutes of silence!

I bought the album for the same reasons and absolutely love it to this day!!

knaithrover said:
DIB said:

I'm intrigued by the 'silence' track. Is it just digital black silence, or ambience of some sort?

Thats what makes these threads interesting - how we can each have polarised views!

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
knaithrover said:
DIB said:

20 minutes of silence! - Silence is Golden - Tremeloes

I must get a listen of this album! - Lift To Experience

tonky

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Well, I beg to differ regarding OK Computer.

You can keep The Bends, which I always found uninspiring.

OK Computer marks a moment of departure and innovation, even if Radiohead were borrowing from the likes of Aphex Twin and moving toward a more heavily processed, artifical sound (which was really the point given the subject matter).

Similarly, the band's more atonal, discordant tracks suggested a feeling of discomfort that suited their observations on contemporary life.

Granted, their later stuff takes some work and can sound overwhelming/oppressive (which again is kind of the point).

I also never could understand this hype with this albums's excellent mastering etc. I can find many other albums straight off sounding much better than this one...for example "Lush - Split", "Suede - Dog Man Star", "Stone Roses - Second Coming" (talking about the same genre in similar years)...is this really so great mastered and mixed ? I doubt...much of this album is simply reverb effect based...but maybe ( as always said I can be wrong :) )

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
tonky said:
knaithrover said:
DIB said:

20 minutes of silence! - Silence is Golden - Tremeloes

I must get a listen of this album! - Lift To Experience

tonky

*biggrin*

It's wonderful that we all have different tastes, what a dull world it would be if it wasn't so.

I must be a masochist because yesterday I thought I would return to this album, 16 years after I got rid of it to see if my views had changed. It's on Spotify so I put it on and played it all again (apart from the final 20 mins of silence
regular_smile.png
) and no my view hasn't changed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts